You are not logged in.

#51 2020-02-15 08:59:57

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 9,310
Website

Re: Lithium test iso available

Scrobbulater, scrabulizer and scorpulator.

We live in a society.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi … robbulator

https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

Online

#52 2020-02-17 12:35:43

rbh
Member
From: Sweden/Vasterbotten/Rusfors
Registered: 2016-08-11
Posts: 330

Re: Lithium test iso available

johnraff wrote:

What rbl says about upgrading is true, and if a user has sufficient confidence they can try it by all means.

I'm rereading "Debian Reference", found:

2.3.5. System wide upgrade
Note
When moving to a new release etc, you should consider to perform a clean installation of new system even though Debian is upgradable as described below. This provides you a chance to remove garbages collected and exposes you to the best combination of latest packages. Of course, you should make a full backup of system to a safe place (see Section 10.2, “Backup and recovery”) before doing this. I recommend to make a dual boot configuration using different partition to have the smoothest transition.

.

If the upgradepath is harsh to decide, it is possible to do both a new installation to other partition and upgrade old to new, examine both results and then determine wich too keep.
If time and / or diskspace is limited, it migt be best to upgrade , if you have a system in good health. If it has any unsolved problems, new installation is better.


// Regards rbh

Online

#53 2020-02-17 12:49:22

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 5,835

Re: Lithium test iso available

rbh wrote:

... it is possible to do both a new installation to other partition and upgrade old to new, examine both results and then determine wich too keep.
If time and / or diskspace is limited, it migt be best to upgrade , if you have a system in good health. If it has any unsolved problems, new installation is better.

That is my approach.


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

#54 2020-02-18 00:53:55

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 9,310
Website

Re: Lithium test iso available

damo wrote:
rbh wrote:

... it is possible to do both a new installation to other partition and upgrade old to new, examine both results and then determine which too keep.
If time and / or diskspace is limited, it might be best to upgrade , if you have a system in good health. If it has any unsolved problems, new installation is better.

That is my approach.

Nice post, rbh.

Online

#55 2020-02-18 04:07:02

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 817

Re: Lithium test iso available

rbh wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

Upgrading from say Helium to Lithium may have its bumps and you may also not get the latest goodies as your $HOME will have old configs.

With latest bl-configs, you are asked if you want to overwrite user-configs. Besides, yo can whenever you want, run "bl-user-setup --refresh" as user to copy settings from ../skel. Old usersettings is saved. Easy to run "meld confignew configold" to examine diff.

A good tip and thanks for that. Where are the old configs saved in case I need to merge old and new configs?


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#56 2020-02-18 04:59:51

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 5,835

Re: Lithium test iso available

DeepDayze wrote:

...
A good tip and thanks for that. Where are the old configs saved in case I need to merge old and new configs?

Until @johnraff, the BL-scripter-in-chief, chimes in: I believe the hashes are kept in ~/.cache, and individual files are kept in the original location, with a date-stamped name or in a backups dir.

Some info here:

bl-user-setup --help

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

#57 2020-03-17 12:41:12

grubernd
Member
Registered: 2020-01-04
Posts: 5

Re: Lithium test iso available

johnraff wrote:

lithium-dev-4-amd64.hybrid.iso:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IQGyL … Eds-jL9Uvj
sha256sum:
c5fbb45259fe40d2370f4bc6630db4edc7d96c01b0e51e83b3654392885b1116

Is that ISO still the most current Lithium to install from?
Or did I miss some announcement for a newer version?

PS: If it works so well, why not post it as the official release?

Offline

#58 2020-03-17 12:53:53

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 5,835

Re: Lithium test iso available

grubernd wrote:

...
Is that ISO still the most current Lithium to install from?
Or did I miss some announcement for a newer version?

PS: If it works so well, why not post it as the official release?

Yes it is the most recent.

Because it isn't complete. There are still important fixes to be done, some themeing to sort out, and some additional goodies to be added.


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

#59 2020-03-21 18:59:04

johnha
Member
Registered: 2018-07-01
Posts: 10

Re: Lithium test iso available

Just tried Lithium and it looks great!

Quick question... I'm sure this is a very basic thing caused by my not being proficient with Tint2, but on my Helium installations, I have persistent buttons on my taskbar. The default ones for the file explorer, the browser, the terminal emulator, etc. (As well as ones I've added later.)

On Lithium, I don't see those buttons. I see in `~/.config/tint2/tint2rc` that there are `launcher_item_app` entries. But I'm not quite sure how to set tint2 to show those buttons.

Many thanks in advance :-)

Offline

#60 2020-03-21 19:24:39

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 5,835

Re: Lithium test iso available

johnha wrote:

Just tried Lithium and it looks great!

Quick question... I'm sure this is a very basic thing caused by my not being proficient with Tint2, but on my Helium installations, I have persistent buttons on my taskbar. The default ones for the file explorer, the browser, the terminal emulator, etc. (As well as ones I've added later.)

On Lithium, I don't see those buttons. I see in `~/.config/tint2/tint2rc` that there are `launcher_item_app` entries. But I'm not quite sure how to set tint2 to show those buttons.

Many thanks in advance :-)

Look in the Help menu for Tint2 links, or

man tint2

You need to add a launcher ("L") to the panel_items


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

#61 2020-03-21 22:53:10

johnha
Member
Registered: 2018-07-01
Posts: 10

Re: Lithium test iso available

damo wrote:

You need to add a launcher ("L") to the panel_items

Brilliant! Thank you so much, damo :-)

Synopsis if others are looking for a quick solution to the default:
edit the file ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc-lithium
Scroll down to the section under # Panel (line 101)
Change the line `panel_items = PTSCP` to `panel_items = PLTSCP`

I hope the final ISO includes this :-)

Offline

#62 2020-03-21 23:36:40

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 5,835

Re: Lithium test iso available

johnha wrote:

...
I hope the final ISO includes this :-)

Not planned. You can choose a different tint2 config, or edit to taste wink


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

#63 2020-03-21 23:40:03

johnha
Member
Registered: 2018-07-01
Posts: 10

Re: Lithium test iso available

damo wrote:

Not planned. You can choose a different tint2 config, or edit to taste wink

Oh bummer! I found it very convenient to have those little buttons to quickly launch the file explorer and terminal emulator, etc. And the new icons look very nice!

Last edited by johnha (2020-03-21 23:40:31)

Offline

#64 2020-03-21 23:51:51

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 5,835

Re: Lithium test iso available

^ The tintrc-crunchbang configs that ship with Lithium have the launchers you want. It takes a few seconds to set one with Preferences -> Tint2 -> Tint2 Chooser


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

#65 2020-03-23 07:06:03

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 6,561
Website

Re: Lithium test iso available

johnha wrote:
damo wrote:

Not planned. You can choose a different tint2 config, or edit to taste wink

Oh bummer! I found it very convenient to have those little buttons to quickly launch the file explorer and terminal emulator, etc. And the new icons look very nice!

There were different opinions on those 4 buttons, but we compromised by leaving the code in, and as you found, it's pretty easy to add that "L".

Maybe we should add it to a "Lithium Tweaks" forum post sometime.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

#66 2020-03-27 05:37:12

johnha
Member
Registered: 2018-07-01
Posts: 10

Re: Lithium test iso available

johnraff wrote:

There were different opinions on those 4 buttons, but we compromised by leaving the code in, and as you found, it's pretty easy to add that "L".

Maybe we should add it to a "Lithium Tweaks" forum post sometime.

I'm sure there was good discussion around this point, but seems a shame to take that away from the default config. I would think it would be nice for newcomers, not just for the convenience of those buttons, but to show them that it's possible. And serving as a familiar sight and give comfort for users of other linux distros/mac/win. (I started on Waldorf, btw.)

Anyhoo, thank you for the background :-) and of course all the hard work. Lithium looks great :-)

Offline

#67 2020-03-27 05:51:05

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 6,561
Website

Re: Lithium test iso available

^Yes, giving users an example of what could be done with tint2 was one reason to have the 4 launchers. But a majority of users at the time seemed to prefer the cleaner-looking taskbar without them.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

#68 2020-03-27 09:07:07

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,418
Website

Re: Lithium test iso available

grubernd wrote:
johnraff wrote:

lithium-dev-4-amd64.hybrid.iso:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IQGyL … Eds-jL9Uvj
sha256sum:
c5fbb45259fe40d2370f4bc6630db4edc7d96c01b0e51e83b3654392885b1116

Is that ISO still the most current Lithium to install from?
Or did I miss some announcement for a newer version?

PS: If it works so well, why not post it as the official release?

Could you please host this somewhere else.
Preferably on bunsenlabs.org.
Just not Google.

Offline

#69 2020-03-27 15:26:59

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 817

Re: Lithium test iso available

ohnonot wrote:
grubernd wrote:
johnraff wrote:

lithium-dev-4-amd64.hybrid.iso:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IQGyL … Eds-jL9Uvj
sha256sum:
c5fbb45259fe40d2370f4bc6630db4edc7d96c01b0e51e83b3654392885b1116

Is that ISO still the most current Lithium to install from?
Or did I miss some announcement for a newer version?

PS: If it works so well, why not post it as the official release?

Could you please host this somewhere else.
Preferably on bunsenlabs.org.
Just not Google.

Ditto. Perhaps put this ISO under testing/beta ISO's?


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#70 2020-03-28 06:09:45

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 6,561
Website

Re: Lithium test iso available

@ohnonot and @DeepDayze we (dev team) are thinking about this - whether the work and extra load on our server would justify any gains for users.

Could you post what it is that you find problematic about people downloading a file from a publicly available url that's hosted by Google, and how "somewhere else" would be an improvement?

Not dismissing your suggestion out of hand.

Last edited by johnraff (2020-03-28 06:11:44)


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

#71 2020-03-28 08:27:33

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,418
Website

Re: Lithium test iso available

Why does it need to be discussed?
Aren't the online privacy & security implications obvious? And the fact that you cannot wget or curl things from Gdrive?
Do the bunsenlabs servers seriously not have 1.2G extra space available?

I uploaded it here now, feel free to include that link in your first post.

Offline

#72 2020-03-28 09:00:48

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 6,561
Website

Re: Lithium test iso available

^And why is that link to some site I've never heard of to be trusted?


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

#73 2020-03-28 09:20:40

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,418
Website

Re: Lithium test iso available

^ because that link (to a single file, not a "site") works from the command line, without javascript.
Don't trust my site by all means, but this is way more private and secure than any big G sh!t; even if I did go and sold your personal data straight away. That's a user agent and an IP. Which I'm not allowed to sell anyhow, by EU law. The same cannot be said about Google sites.
How much more info they can glean just from someone visiting that page, only they know.
If you don't understand why a javascipt-laden site that does not allow direct download links is problematic, then I cannot help you.

Whoever stumbles upon this post and wants to use my download link:
The sha256 sum for the file is the same as the one in post #1 of this thread.
Enjoy.

Offline

#74 2020-03-28 15:04:18

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 817

Re: Lithium test iso available

@johnraff, no I am not knocking you or mean any ill will towards you or the team. Just a concern that we as users had. In fact I downloaded that ISO and scanned it and it's clean plus booted it on a test system and it worked fine.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-03-28 15:05:40)


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#75 2020-03-29 02:08:01

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 6,561
Website

Re: Lithium test iso available

It's easy to confirm the iso is clean without virus scanning it - just check the sha256sum is correct!


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB