You are not logged in.

#51 2020-02-15 08:59:57

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Lithium test iso available

Scrobbulater, scrabulizer and scorpulator.

We live in a society.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi … robbulator

https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

#52 2020-02-17 12:35:43

rbh

johnraff wrote:

What rbl says about upgrading is true, and if a user has sufficient confidence they can try it by all means.

I'm rereading "Debian Reference", found:

2.3.5. System wide upgrade
Note
When moving to a new release etc, you should consider to perform a clean installation of new system even though Debian is upgradable as described below. This provides you a chance to remove garbages collected and exposes you to the best combination of latest packages. Of course, you should make a full backup of system to a safe place (see Section 10.2, “Backup and recovery”) before doing this. I recommend to make a dual boot configuration using different partition to have the smoothest transition.

If the upgradepath is harsh to decide, it is possible to do both a new installation to other partition and upgrade old to new, examine both results and then determine wich too keep.
If time and / or diskspace is limited, it migt be best to upgrade , if you have a system in good health. If it has any unsolved problems, new installation is better.

// Regards rbh

#53 2020-02-17 12:49:22

damo
....moderator....

rbh wrote:

... it is possible to do both a new installation to other partition and upgrade old to new, examine both results and then determine wich too keep.
If time and / or diskspace is limited, it migt be best to upgrade , if you have a system in good health. If it has any unsolved problems, new installation is better.

That is my approach.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#54 2020-02-18 00:53:55

hhh
Meep!
Website

damo wrote:
rbh wrote:

... it is possible to do both a new installation to other partition and upgrade old to new, examine both results and then determine which too keep.
If time and / or diskspace is limited, it might be best to upgrade , if you have a system in good health. If it has any unsolved problems, new installation is better.

That is my approach.

Nice post, rbh.

#55 2020-02-18 04:07:02

DeepDayze

rbh wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

Upgrading from say Helium to Lithium may have its bumps and you may also not get the latest goodies as your $HOME will have old configs.

With latest bl-configs, you are asked if you want to overwrite user-configs. Besides, yo can whenever you want, run "bl-user-setup --refresh" as user to copy settings from ../skel. Old usersettings is saved. Easy to run "meld confignew configold" to examine diff.

A good tip and thanks for that. Where are the old configs saved in case I need to merge old and new configs?

Real Men Use Linux

#56 2020-02-18 04:59:51

damo
....moderator....

DeepDayze wrote:

A good tip and thanks for that. Where are the old configs saved in case I need to merge old and new configs?

Until @johnraff, the BL-scripter-in-chief, chimes in: I believe the hashes are kept in ~/.cache, and individual files are kept in the original location, with a date-stamped name or in a backups dir.

Some info here:

bl-user-setup --help

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Board footer