You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-16 12:07:46

Pink Unicorn

Firefox 60 ESR

Would someone will be so kind and give me instruction how to install FIREFOX 60 ESR POLISH VERSION it step by step.

After update I will receive updates ?

#2 2018-05-16 15:43:20

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Firefox 60 ESR

Download the tarball from Mozilla then unpack it and run the firefox-esr binary from your $HOME folder, it will update itself.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2018-05-16 16:37:25

hhh
TESTING!!!!!!!
Website

To elaborate...

Replace Debian's firefox-esr with a version from mozilla.org, step by step.

Visit mozilla.org and download the version and language of Firefox you'd like to use...

Current (Quantum)...

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

Current ESR (60)...

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o … tions/all/

Extract the *.tar.bz2 tarbell (example using the Polish 64-bit ESR link)...

https://download.mozilla.org/?product=f … 64&lang=pl

By default it downloads to ~/Downloads

Open your file manager, right click the file and choose "Extract Here"

To test and/or use...

You now have the folder ~/Downloads/firefox. Open it and, after closing any running firefox windows, double-click the file "firefox".

Screenshot_2018-05-16_12-38-43.th.png

Twoje zdrowie!!!

To check what version you're running and/or manually update to the newest release, Press "Alt" to bring up the Firefox main-menu and navigate to "Help>About Firefox"

To replace Debian firefox with your new version...

The method I'll describe uses Thunar to make it n00b friendly...

Open your file manager. From its main-menu, choose "File>Open as root" and enter your password. You now have 2 file manager windows open, one as user (pretty!) and one as root (intentionally ugly!) Be careful now...

In the root folder, copy ~/Downloads/firefox to /opt/firefox

In the user folder, navigate to /opt/firefox/firefox, right-click the file and choose "Send To>Desktop (Create Link)"

In the root folder, copy the new shortcut in your Home folder to /usr/local/bin. Make sure the shortcut is named "firefox", NOT "firefox-esr".

You can again test that it's working. Close firefox and open dmenu (Alt+F3) and type "fire" without quotes. You should see entries for firefox and firefox-esr. Choose firefox and hit enter. Your new, upgraded Firefox will open, check your version or manually check for updates at any time via "Help>About Firefox".

To set your new version to the default, right-click your BunsenLabs desktop to open the Main Menu and choose "System>Edit Debian Alternatives" and enter your password.

In the left pane, scroll to the bottom and click "x-www-browser"

In the main pane, click "+Add" and input the path (adjust as necessary) /usr/local/bin/firefox and set the priority to 70 and save.

Launch your new default browser (Super/Window key+w). Firefox will report that it's not the default browser but that setting is overriden by the one we just set, so just uncheck the "Check default on startup" box and choose "Not now" (I can't remember the exact text, but you'll see what I mean).

If all is working, you can safely remove the Debian firefox-esr packages...

sudo apt purge --autoremove firefox-esr*

You can also delete the Firefox shortcut and downloads from your Home folder.

Please post back if it works, doesn't work, or if I have made mistakes. Thanks! Today I learned that "New tab" in Polish is "Nowa karta". :D

I'll add a step for creating a desktop file in /usr/share/applications later.

-note to hhh- I'll update the tutorial when I'm sure the new instructions here are solid...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=1385

#4 2018-05-16 20:11:20

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Alternative for people who would like to run both side by side would be unofficial flatpack version
https://firefox-flatpak.mojefedora.cz/

scrot21931.th.png

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2018-05-16 20:15:41)

#5 2018-05-17 01:20:15

cloverskull

How's the flatpack performance vs regular installation?

#6 2018-05-17 01:40:05

hhh
TESTING!!!!!!!
Website

brontosaurusrex wrote:

Alternative for people who would like to run both side by side

You can also run the debian firefox-esr version along side your new version, either by sharing a profile (not recommended) or by setting individual profiles via the firefox -P (and firefox-esr -P) switch...

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr … x-profiles

#7 2018-05-17 05:00:46

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

@hhh, right, but imho less complicated with flatpak (due to native separation from the system).
@clover, how would you benchmark? (I can claim that for example flatpak gimp 2.10 'feels' very fast and my machines are not getting any younger).

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2018-05-17 05:32:42)

#8 2018-05-18 05:34:58

hhh
TESTING!!!!!!!
Website

If anyone is worried that moving your Firefox download to the root file system (/opt in this walk-through) would cause problems with automatic updates, I closed my new Quantum browser an hour ago. I opened it again and watched an update install. It was quick, I was too late with the screenshot...

Screenshot_2018-05-18_01-27-56.th.png

#9 2018-05-19 01:37:31

DeepDayze

Putting FF in /opt would be a good spot if you want to make it available for all users. Just make a link to the executable for each user and off to the races!

Real Men Use Linux

#10 2018-05-22 12:49:17

thoro

hhh wrote:

Please post back if it works, doesn't work, or if I have made mistakes. Thanks!

Works perfect!

"It's just your opinion, man!"

Board footer