You are not logged in.

#201 2021-12-20 16:46:24

trinidad
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

The generally accepted wisdom seems to be that you want swap a bit bigger than your RAM

This is dependent more on what's running when you begin hibernation. Disconnect the internet, shut down most applications, get all pending updates installed, and then 500MB is more than sufficient. Resuming RAM chips can be a random issue when loaded and working prior to hibernation so thus the assumption that swap needs to be bigger than RAM which is rarely true and more dependent on the preset hardware modes on the board itself. There really is no way to calculate a predictable size for swap during hibernation.   

So it's laptops that might want hibernation I think

This is very true because laps under battery power are insecure in suspend mode even with encryption, as keys are written to swap in plain text. The portability of small devices introduces such vulnerabilities. Hibernation is more secure if a theft occurs.

Some day I have to find out how to hibernate a system with an encrypted disk

Definitely some unicorn chasing for this. The first problem is the random key generation for swap and the use of UUIDs in fstab. Even when overcome with the use of LVMs the resume can only obtain garbled data. I saw a solution once that involved UEFI and secure boot and code injection but to date there is no UI (like gparted) software for such an undertaking.

TC

#202 2021-12-20 17:29:46

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

johnraff wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

hibernation on desktops generally is pretty much broken

It worked fine on my Lithium desktop out of the box, but there's no need for it really because there's no battery to drain if on a long suspend-to-ram. For that matter, a desktop in my bedroom is a lower security risk than a laptop out in public, so can just be left switched on if in the middle of some job.

So it's laptops that might want hibernation I think. The generally accepted wisdom seems to be that you want swap a bit bigger than your RAM. That's not always the end of the story though. (Some day I have to find out how to hibernate a system with an encrypted disk.)

True, but not all desktops hibernate properly maybe due to BIOS bugs, but s2ram works if you want to let your desktop hold your work while you sleep...

Think you'd need encrypted swap for hibernating a system with full disk encryption.

Real Men Use Linux

#203 2021-12-21 05:25:51

johnraff
nullglob
Website

That swap is used for storing the content of RAM during hibernation is just a coincidence really. To set aside a dedicated partition for hibernating would be wasteful, so as far as I know all systems re-use swap for this. Presumably if there is data in swap at the time then it will be written back to disk first.

trinidad wrote:

The generally accepted wisdom seems to be that you want swap a bit bigger than your RAM

This is dependent more on what's running when you begin hibernation. Disconnect the internet, shut down most applications, get all pending updates installed, and then 500MB is more than sufficient...
There really is no way to calculate a predictable size for swap during hibernation.

Agreed, but you can calculate the maximum swap needed on a particular machine, ie the size of installed RAM. These days disk space is plentiful, so it's only a minority of users who'll need to decide exactly how much swap they're going to allocate. For the average new user who wants to be able to hibernate then a-bit-more-than-ram seems a reasonable choice. If you're going to shut down running apps then what are you planning to preserve by hibernating anyway? Why not just poweroff the machine?

Some day I have to find out how to hibernate a system with an encrypted disk

Definitely some unicorn chasing for this.

Some people claim to have solutions, and the more recent ones look simpler so things might have improved. I'll post a new thread if I get it working on my laptop.

DeepDayze wrote:

s2ram works if you want to let your desktop hold your work while you sleep...

Or just apply the screenlock and leave it booted up?

Think you'd need encrypted swap for hibernating a system with full disk encryption.

Do you mean swap encrypted separately from the rest of the disk?

My whole disk is encrypted under one LUKS password, except for /boot (unless I'm misunderstanding what the Debian Installer set up).
(I think a solution for including /boot in the encryption might not be far away.)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#204 2022-01-08 09:27:56

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Thunderbird no longer supports Movemail accounts

The recent Debian upgrade of Thunderbird to 91.4 has exposed us to the upstream devs' decision to drop support for Unix Movemail accounts:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1625741

I was enjoying being able to read root messages about hard disk health, upgrade issues etc when I checked my regular email, quite annoyed to lose my localhost TB account and spent a morning googling around, till I finally hit on a relatively easy fix using dovecot to serve the contents of /var/mail/john as imap. Dovecot's default configuration seems to be to do exactly that. smile

The lack of complex configuration might compensate for having to run another daemon - install dovecot-imapd + deps and configure a new imap account in TB to access it:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. … 0#p2089364

Problem sort of over, though I'm still keeping my eyes open for a tutorial on how to use the more lightweight mailutils-imap4d instead.

#205 2022-01-08 15:56:08

trinidad
Website

The recent Debian upgrade of Thunderbird to 91.4 has exposed us to the upstream devs' decision to drop support for Unix Movemail accounts:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1625741

How annoyingly stupid. They site telemetry data as an excuse when most users of this feature disable the OOTB telemetry. I have never liked Thunderbird (hate the GUI setup screens) and always used Evolution on Debian but I install a lot of systems for new users (Linux Lite) and now var/mail/ won't be functional in TB which I often set up for them to check logs and security notices or at least remind them when it automatically showed up in their mail. Just more purposed dumbing down of software IMHO to hold more sheeple users hostage to a false digital esoterica. Kind of disgusting.

TC

#206 2022-01-09 06:30:58

johnraff
nullglob
Website

johnraff wrote:

I'm still keeping my eyes open for a tutorial on how to use the more lightweight mailutils-imap4d instead.

Actually dovecot is working (a test message to root appeared OK) and is using very few system resources according to htop - close to zero for both CPU and RAM, so I'm not too worried.

#207 2022-01-11 02:38:51

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: swap, there's a discussion on debian-user, starts here:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 … 00258.html

#208 Today 00:11:37

johnraff
nullglob
Website

[SUA 211-1] Updated clamav version

Anyone using clamav should probably update:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-stable- … 00001.html

Board footer