You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-04 04:09:47

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 4,673
Website

News that might affect BunsenLabs

Just something for developers to be aware of:
Changes for GnuPG in Debian

Last edited by johnraff (2016-08-06 08:05:19)


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#2 2016-08-06 08:04:27

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 4,673
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

Changed the topic title so it can be a place for people to pin things that we might want to check back on later.


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#3 2016-08-21 01:53:36

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 4,673
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

Gnome have dropped synaptics support apparently.
Bug 768682 - Removal of synaptics support was premature


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#4 2016-12-16 02:47:39

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 4,673
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

A bit of good news: Raphaël Hertzog has adopted live-build:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=808048
cool

Check out the changelog which closes many bugs, including "Add EFI boot support with grub-efi...Closes: #731709"

EDIT I didn't know about the unpleasantness around the departure of the previous live-build maintainer:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=804315
Not going to takes sides, but it's a pity it went like that.

BTW @all, please feel free to post any news in this thread which you think might concern BL.

Last edited by johnraff (2016-12-21 03:23:54)


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#5 2017-02-23 03:21:11

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 4,673
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#6 2017-02-23 04:50:28

hhh
That's easy!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 6,101
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

I also saw that Hertzog was much more active with live-build as Kali has progressed, awesome. I hope he doesn't give up thanks to curt (rude IMO) responses like that libinput bug!

Maybe good news, former Debian leader N. McGovern will head the GNOME Foundation...
http://www.itwire.com/open-source/76681 … ation.html

Offline

#7 2017-02-23 05:29:18

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 4,673
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

^I wouldn't say rude, short and to the point.


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#8 2017-02-23 10:15:01

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double
Registered: 2016-02-19
Posts: 1,267

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

johnraff wrote:

I didn't know about the unpleasantness around the departure of the previous live-build maintainer


These issues are not easy to understand form a user perspective. There has been a project, doing work for Debian, i.e. building live Cd images under the name debian-live. Then something similar came from the official Debian project called debian-live-ng -> the maintainer of debian-live (and some other users) did not like that this new name sounds too similar to the existing project (and calling them not official part of Debian)? Well, at least that's what I can understand. Anyway, it was back in 2015, I hope everything is sorted out by now.

Offline

#9 2017-02-23 14:14:23

earlybird
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-12-16
Posts: 605
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

martix wrote:
johnraff wrote:

I didn't know about the unpleasantness around the departure of the previous live-build maintainer


These issues are not easy to understand form a user perspective. There has been a project, doing work for Debian, i.e. building live Cd images under the name debian-live. Then something similar came from the official Debian project called debian-live-ng -> the maintainer of debian-live (and some other users) did not like that this new name sounds too similar to the existing project (and calling them not official part of Debian)? Well, at least that's what I can understand. Anyway, it was back in 2015, I hope everything is sorted out by now.

Politics and whatever they entail are an eminent aspect of running any large organization, even if that organization is supposed to innovate a lot; the key is keeping that from slowing down the whole operation too much. Opinions on whether that's the case or not in the Debian project are going to differ...

Offline

#10 2017-04-07 01:10:41

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 4,673
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

httpredir has been abandoned.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-mirrors … 00000.html

httpredir urls in apt sources.list files still work, but they are just being redirected to deb.debian.org

BL development discussion here: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=3555

Last edited by johnraff (2017-04-07 01:14:42)


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#11 2017-04-28 08:29:38

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 4,673
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

Bits from the Debian CD^WImages Team
Some improvements of the Debian images pages.


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#12 2017-04-28 23:35:01

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix
Registered: 2015-10-18
Posts: 1,473

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

Hmm not sure how, or if at all this will affect BunsenLabs, but it appears that Stretch won't be offering a secure boot option as per:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a … 00013.html

This does suck, as I do know that they did get their boot shim signed by microsoft in anticipation for this...

A brief status: [status]
========================

First off, a list of items with progress:

* Secure boot support: We got a signature from Microsoft on our shim   bootloader
* OpenSSL transition: Done
* MySQL -> MariaDB transition: Done
* gcc-5 removal: Done
* RC bugs (key packages): We went from 150 to 40 RC bugs (since
   2017-02-04)
* The stretch-backports suite now exists
* DSA have successfully upgraded several servers including one buildd
   for all architectures except for arm{el,hf}.
* We are almost done with the "Before the freeze" part of the release
   checklist (just missing some buildds being upgraded to stretch).


It would have been nice, as I've noticed a few people on here having issues with laptops and their newer motherboards that seem to be a bit more aggressive with the secureboot functionality?

Last edited by Horizon_Brave (2017-04-28 23:35:25)


"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

Offline

#13 2017-04-29 10:38:40

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

Horizon_Brave wrote:

I've noticed a few people on here having issues with laptops and their newer motherboards that seem to be a bit more aggressive with the secureboot functionality?

Do you have any links?

I have not seen any Secure Boot problems on these boards, I think that most people know to disable it by now and that should always be possible.

Anyway, my old workaround still, er, works:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=393


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

#14 2017-04-29 23:02:37

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix
Registered: 2015-10-18
Posts: 1,473

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Horizon_Brave wrote:

I've noticed a few people on here having issues with laptops and their newer motherboards that seem to be a bit more aggressive with the secureboot functionality?

Do you have any links?

I have not seen any Secure Boot problems on these boards, I think that most people know to disable it by now and that should always be possible.

Anyway, my old workaround still, er, works:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=393

@HoaS  Yea I know your workaround definitely nulls the issue, was just hoping that it would sort of be fixed "at the source" so to speak.


"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

Offline

#15 2017-05-30 19:22:16

ghorvath
Member
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 130

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

Apparently Debian Stretch is expected to be out on 17th June:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a … 00002.html

Approximately how much later can we expect Bunsenlabs Helium?

Edit: further, do you plan a way to upgrade any Bunsenlabs Hydrogen/Deuterium by apt-get or do you only plan an ISO-image?

Last edited by ghorvath (2017-05-30 19:24:01)

Offline

#16 2017-05-30 19:22:53

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

ghorvath wrote:

how much later can we expect Bunsenlabs Helium?

When it's ready smile


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

#17 2017-05-30 19:26:47

ghorvath
Member
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 130

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
ghorvath wrote:

how much later can we expect Bunsenlabs Helium?

When it's ready smile

I see....

I edited my post, but probably better to ask again:
Do you plan a way to upgrade any Bunsenlabs Hydrogen/Deuterium by apt-get or do you only plan an ISO-image?

Offline

#18 2017-05-30 19:29:38

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

ghorvath wrote:

an ISO-image

I think this is the plan but please wait for input from the rest of the team.

Whilst it may be possible to `dist-upgrade` from Hydrogen to Helium, I don't think there will be an official upgrade path.

But I may be wrong.


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

#19 2017-05-31 08:31:27

ector1935
Member
Registered: 2017-05-03
Posts: 142

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

Horizon_Brave wrote:

Hmm not sure how, or if at all this will affect BunsenLabs, but it appears that Stretch won't be offering a secure boot option as per:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a … 00013.html

This does suck, as I do know that they did get their boot shim signed by microsoft in anticipation for this...

A brief status: [status]
========================

First off, a list of items with progress:

* Secure boot support: We got a signature from Microsoft on our shim   bootloader
* OpenSSL transition: Done
* MySQL -> MariaDB transition: Done
* gcc-5 removal: Done
* RC bugs (key packages): We went from 150 to 40 RC bugs (since
   2017-02-04)
* The stretch-backports suite now exists
* DSA have successfully upgraded several servers including one buildd
   for all architectures except for arm{el,hf}.
* We are almost done with the "Before the freeze" part of the release
   checklist (just missing some buildds being upgraded to stretch).


It would have been nice, as I've noticed a few people on here having issues with laptops and their newer motherboards that seem to be a bit more aggressive with the secureboot functionality?

The next day I tried to install ubuntu17.04 mate on hd ex ingpt-efi, at boot of the iso with secureboot disabled, during the manual installation I tried to install grub on the efi / fat32 partition on the external disk, and with My surprise did not allow me, then I installed it by just pointing to / root, setup went well, at startup ok, but when i tried to start the next day it turned out impossible, i was getting a microsoft or ubuntu key , Morale I had to plan ubuntu, as I installed it with deactivated secureboot, all my distro, these canonical choices only make me harm, and I do not share them, I hope they are not the choices of debian, or else i have to give up bunsenlabs And I would not give up, since I like it a lot.
edit
Excuse me, for my english translation from google

Last edited by ector1935 (2017-05-31 08:33:53)

Offline

#20 2017-07-01 08:55:32

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 4,673
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

Apparently the Stretch live images were built using live-wrapper, not live-build, with less than outstanding results, so that one of the developers now seems ready to drop the whole idea of live isos.

debian Mailing List wrote:

...If we don't see a radical improvement soon, I'll simply disable building live images altogether to remove the false promises they're making.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic … rPDMvcRbsc
or
https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/20 … 00064.html


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#21 2017-07-01 11:08:02

Steve
Member
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 642

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

It is a shame (as in unforseen critical errors) the live iso's got a bit bungled, but time heals all wounds as the saying goes. The devs sound like they put in a hell of a lot of labour into what they do and by trying out live-wrapper they were probably hoping to shorten the scale of the development of the iso's which is what we all want, an easier more streamlined workflow that yields benefits so other projects can be looked at and developed. Hope they work it out.

Offline

#22 2017-07-02 07:40:35

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 4,673
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

Steve wrote:

Hope they work it out.

Yes indeed! We've been using live-build up to date, and since Raphaël Herzog has become its maintainer I guess it will continue to be an option, at least for a while. Still, I suppose eventually we're going to have to get to grips with live-wrapper...


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#23 2017-07-02 13:57:37

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

If Debian abandon the live images we may be able to use Refracta's tools to generate our own:

http://www.ibiblio.org/refracta/docs/re … ta2usb.txt


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

#24 2017-07-03 03:27:25

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 4,673
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

Well, I don't think live-build is going anywhere soon, and we already have a handle on that.


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#25 2017-07-07 00:25:24

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 4,673
Website

Re: News that might affect BunsenLabs

Linux Mint have started a collection of "generic" apps called X-Apps, based on the usual suspects, but intended to be environment-agnostic, to work on all the LM versions interchangably: https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sarah_mat … .php#xapps
It might turn out that there's something in there that BunsenLabs can use.


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB