You are not logged in.

#51 2020-11-01 21:41:22

twoion
一期一会

Re: BL homepage

rbh wrote:

I needed the Netinstall Script today.
I could not find the link on https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html

It was removed this summer. Last archived version is: https://web.archive.org/web/20200624082 … ation.html

It was depublished because it was not up to date and working at the time of release. I think that johnraff asked me to re-add the section as now it's ready but I haven't done so yet.

#52 2020-11-01 23:22:29

hhh
Meep!
Website

Through hardships to the stars.

Altered, but I think referenced in the Toy Story films... "To infinity, and beyond!"

Maybe a more literal translation... Per aspera ad astra... Through difficulty to a star. And that paraphrased is Metamorphosis by Kafke or some other prick. Hannibal Lecter said it in Silence of the Lambs...

"The significance of the moth is change. Caterpillar into chrysalis, (snidely) or pupa, (utterly sincerely and with reverence) from thence into beauty."

Thank you for attending my TED talk, my thesis presentation at Oxford is in a week.

#53 2020-12-01 19:23:04

rbh

Also under heading System requirements "Working internet connections", should be listed, as long as it is needed.

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#54 2021-01-23 10:33:13

rbh

We don't have any heading "Known Problems" on the homepage.

That migt be good information to have easy access, for them who is to install BunsenLab first time.

Add subbheading about expired apt-key, what to do and link to the anouncement in News & Announcements.

Also the information that Adobes Flashplayer not should be installed when running BL-Welcome, needs to be more visible.

// Regards rbh

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#55 2021-01-23 17:11:01

twoion
一期一会

ISO refresh is upcoming to fix it for new users. Adding an important issues note on the front page is a good idea. Probably will add a repo on Github with a bug tracker that contains issues, progress on them, and instructions. The reason is that this is easily trackable, and we can check via API if there are any open issues. Keeping the bug reports section on the forum was probably a mistake; issues should have been tracked in a proper bug tracker to begin with.

#56 2021-01-23 19:23:59

hhh
Meep!
Website

twoion wrote:

Keeping the bug reports section on the forum was probably a mistake; issues should have been tracked in a proper bug tracker to begin with.

I didn't think of this, but now that you mention it, I absolutely agree.

#57 2021-01-24 01:54:29

johnraff
nullglob
Website

twoion wrote:

Keeping the bug reports section on the forum was probably a mistake; issues should have been tracked in a proper bug tracker to begin with.

Asking for bug reports to be posted on a separate interface like GitHub might somewhat reduce the amount of feedback we get.
But OTOH, yes, proper mechanisms to handle such reports would be a big improvement.

So finally agree with both of you that it's an excellent idea. We just need to publicise it here on the forums, post links at every opportunity...

EDIT One question though - individual BL packages already have "issues", which are essentially bug handlers. What distinction would we draw between those and the BunsenLabs bugs? Would someone have to triage the latter and redirect them to the appropriate package?

Last edited by johnraff (2021-01-24 01:57:25)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#58 2021-08-27 12:57:31

rbh

I just posted in "Scripts, Tutorials & Tips", topic: Alternate Installation methods and sources list.

I know that we have a post in the forum about sources, but can't find it...
It might be good to have the information on the homepage: https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html.

I suggest to add a new header before Package-based install: Alternate Installation methods. After  section Package-based install, my post.

Last edited by rbh (2021-08-27 13:01:51)

// Regards rbh

#59 2021-08-29 05:58:50

johnraff
nullglob
Website

rbh wrote:

I know that we have a post in the forum about sources, but can't find it...

This one, under Documentation > Getting Started?
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=6915

The organization of our documentation continues to be an issue I guess.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Board footer