You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-04 11:08:06

rbh

BL homepage

Hi!

I saw yesterday that https://www.bunsenlabs.org had an facelift. Looks good on most browsers.

But, in Chromium and google-Chrome, some of the screenshots does not show as an thumb but as an full picture and thus placed over the text.

Last edited by rbh (2019-08-04 11:08:21)

// Regards rbh

#2 2019-08-04 11:17:46

twoion
ほやほや

Re: BL homepage

Thank you very much for reporting this. I tested on Google Chrome and Chromium 76 on Arch Linux but saw no issues like you described.

Could you provide the following things: Your OS, your Chromium version, your screen size in pixels and perhaps a screenshot?

Does the behaviour change when you zoom in a lot (ctrl++ repeatedly) or zoom out by a lot (ctrl+- repeatedly or ctrl+0)?

Much obliged.

At the end of the river the sundown beams

#3 2019-08-05 01:34:25

rbh

Now, on my desktop, is it only GoogleChrome that does not show as expeted.

Here is how it looks like:

www.bunsenlabs.org
(edit..., the link is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NyVge … fXru5QrDgc )

I have two screens: 1680x1050 @ 59.88Hz, 1280x1024 @ 60.02Hz. The capture is from the left big screen.
Google Chrome Version 76.0.3809.87 (Officiell version) (64 bitar)
Chromium is Version 73.0.3683.75.

It is the same version of stable browsers on the laptop (screen 1200x800).

On the laptop, no screencap is small as a thumb. They all cover the part text! And, it is the same with bort Chrome and Chromium.

On the desktop, no change if I zoom in or out in google Chrome.
When I open homepage on the right small screen, are the pictures hidden both in Chreom and Chromium. When i zom out to 90%, the appear. But in Chrome, some of the pictures cover text. Chrome unstable (Version 77.0.3865.) does not missbehave on the desktop...

I will install unstable chrome and Chromium on the laptop later and se if that will make a change...

Last edited by rbh (2019-08-05 01:37:50)

// Regards rbh

#4 2019-08-05 06:51:53

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

I'am assuming it's reading cached css, shift+click on refresh button fixed it here.

#5 2019-08-05 08:00:18

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

brontosaurusrex wrote:

I'am assuming it's reading cached css, shift+click on refresh button fixed it here.

I had the same issue on Firefox on macOS right now but indeed forcing a refresh loads the correct CSS and makes the images small.

So it's a caching issue. I need to tweak our web server HTTP cache-control headers then.

#6 2019-08-05 08:06:46

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

THere also is a font css bug for the leader "Helium" headline on Safari. I think I can fix this also tonight.

#7 2019-08-05 11:21:34

rbh

brontosaurusrex wrote:

I'am assuming it's reading cached css,

Yes, it was.

Now the screenshot thumbs becomes visible when the browser windows is more than 930 px wide.
But for some reason, on smaller screens, 1024x768, the header Screenshots, and the thumbs under does not show.

Maybe, it would be better to aling header Screenshots and the thumbs; right?
On a bigger screen, with left aligning, there is a big gap betwen "Screenshots" and "Features"

Last edited by rbh (2019-08-05 11:22:05)

// Regards rbh

#8 2019-08-05 14:46:53

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

rbh wrote:
brontosaurusrex wrote:

I'am assuming it's reading cached css,

Yes, it was.

Now the screenshot thumbs becomes visible when the browser windows is more than 930 px wide.
But for some reason, on smaller screens, 1024x768, the header Screenshots, and the thumbs under does not show.

Maybe, it would be better to aling header Screenshots and the thumbs; right?
On a bigger screen, with left aligning, there is a big gap betwen "Screenshots" and "Features"

(The site design is by me, and twoion and I are the same person.)

First part: The screenshot gallery disappearing is intentional (also reproducible when you zoom in by a lot). Ideally of course the design would be completely responsive and the information be displayed in a different way; this is not implemented. The gallery disappearing on screens that are still larger than mobile is due to the the gallery colliding with the main content right now, leading to overlap on less-wide screens and at high zoom levels. First, I'm currently thinking of making the transition smoother without hardcoding screen sizes in the CSS. Later, we could think of different ways to present the information. The CSS is already very hacky and I'm not doing this professionally, so the result may not be that aesthetic smile My compromise so far was that at least the default view looks somewhat aesthetic.

Second part: Actually, in custom CSS, it's more obvious how to float a gallery column to right edge of the screen  rather than keeping it at the left edge of the main content, the main issue being that the overall CSS is based on a row metaphor...and another idea was that the screenshot bar is not a central piece but an addon, so making it into some kind of "dock" was IMO a reasonable decision --- which is why the area between the gallery and the main text is defined by your screen size and not in absolute or relative terms. I have totally different design in petto where the thumbs are a small strip over the full width of the screen, perhaps that would work better...I'll play around with it a bit when I have time.

So a lot of the quirks of the design are actually because of my lack of CSS mastery. Thanks for your input. I'll look if I can turn them into some low-hanging fruit/improvements.

Unfortunately, due to a lack of time I won't be able to rewrite the site in a well-formed CSS framework which would take away a lot of the  limitations the current design has.

#9 2019-08-06 06:43:33

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

I can make some material in the Ali G style if it helps:

Distro fe all yous peeps who fink jubuntu iz govermental tin.

Download in da house. < download link

edit:

I won't be able to rewrite the site in a well-formed CSS framework which would take away a lot of the  limitations the current design has

Seriously thought, if any help is needed (and do you have the name of the framework?).

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2019-08-06 18:58:58)

#10 2019-08-07 00:09:18

cog
brushpopper
Website

Have y’all thought about using a static site generator like Hugo?

It is another beautiful day at the Red Pony Saloon and continual soiree.  - Henry Standing Bear

#11 2019-08-07 06:48:17

twoion
ほやほや

cog wrote:

Have y’all thought about using a static site generator like Hugo?

It is using a static site generator like hugo, which is pandoc. That doesn't absolve you from dealing with CSS and JS however.

At the end of the river the sundown beams

#12 2019-08-07 13:49:31

cog
brushpopper
Website

Oh ok.  Thought y’all had wrote your own little home brew cms or something.

It is another beautiful day at the Red Pony Saloon and continual soiree.  - Henry Standing Bear

Board footer