You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-22 15:17:35

dbickin

Firefox freezes [solved]

Firefox has been freezing on me. This started happening maybe a month ago, but is getting progressively worse. Generally, I will try scrolling on a page, and it will stop responding. Sometimes if I have another open tab, I can switch to that tab, and it is responding, but often nothing works in Firefox.

I can switch to another open program, and switch back. At which point the Firefox window is blank for a second, then comes back, and usually is responsive again. Or it may come back with the same frozen page and not respond for some (seems like forever) seconds.

Opening a new page may cause the freeze to happen again.

I am running Bunsen-hydrogen, and Firefox 52.9.0.

I have about 3 GB of free memory (as reported by conky) and about 2 GB of free disk space.

It mostly only freezes on LARGE pages, like youtube or facebook.

Any idea what could be causing this, and what I can do to get a responsive system back?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by dbickin (2019-01-26 05:04:35)

#2 2019-01-22 15:30:32

Bearded_Blunder

Re: Firefox freezes [solved]

You run any browser extensions?  It could just be all the cra.. err cruddy scripting everywhere, You tried wit uBlock Origin?  It doesn't kill the scripts, but with all the ads it blocks you have many less trying to run.

Does Chromium do any better?

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#3 2019-01-22 22:18:06

THX1138

The same thing was happening to me and then I uninstalled firefox ESR and installed Firefox quantum 64.02 (last night in fact) So far no freezes and an issue I had with language files improperly installed also cleared up

I did not attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. (Mark Twain)

#4 2019-01-23 01:05:54

hhh
That's it!
Website

I haven't checked out this tutorial in a while, but it should be correct. We've had some recent discussion in another nobody mentioned that it didn't work...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=1385

I believe it was in another thread that we realized placing firefox in /opt and having it auto-update meant the permissions needed to be set as in the OP of the link thread (meaning, the files extracted there and moved without any changed), but I can't find the thread.

#5 2019-01-23 05:04:15

dbickin

I suspect adblock is the culprit. I disabled it for a bit and had no freezes. I re-enabled it, and had freezes again. (mind you, I didn't run without adblock for long as it was too cringe inducing seeing so many ads placed all over the place....)

I guess I can try uBlock and see it that fares any better.

Odd that everything was working fine for quite a while before the freezes started.

David

#6 2019-01-23 07:00:38

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ yeah try uBlock Origin.
It is said to be much lighter than Adblock.

Also try to disable (uncheck) Smooth scrolling in the preferencces.

dbickin wrote:

and about 2 GB of free disk space.

seriously?

#7 2019-01-23 08:02:01

Jimbo_G

hhh wrote:

I haven't checked out this tutorial in a while, but it should be correct. We've had some recent discussion in another nobody mentioned that it didn't work...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=1385

I believe it was in another thread that we realized placing firefox in /opt and having it auto-update meant the permissions needed to be set as in the OP of the link thread (meaning, the files extracted there and moved without any changed), but I can't find the thread.

It was in this thread (the thread title is a bit inaccurate BTW): https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 898#p71898

#8 2019-01-23 10:01:03

Sun For Miles

I had the same issue with v52.x-esr - horrible sluggish behaviour with seemingly no cure. After many attempts to fix that, the only concrete thing I've had was my unproven conclusion that the mentioned version does horrible job with multithreading on mylaptop for whatever the reason, because I've noticed that one (out of four) CPU core gets stuck on 100% by browser process every now and then.

It all disappeared when I upgraded version to 60.x-esr. I don't exactly remember if I've followed the above mentioned steps, but my own brain says it was just plain sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade.

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#9 2019-01-24 05:03:01

johnraff
nullglob
Website

dbickin wrote:

I am running Bunsen-hydrogen, and Firefox 52.9.0.

Bunsen Hydrogen runs on Debian Jessie, and the current version of Firefox there is 60.4.0esr-1~deb8u1.
You do have security updates enabled? If not, you should do so immediately, and install all the upgrades available (including Firefox). The only architecture for which Fx is currently 52.9 is armel.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#10 2019-01-24 10:57:22

THX1138

After installing 64.02 I have still had no freezes, prior to that, when I was using 58 (or was it 52 - i think 58)ESR, it was not only freezing but also the spell checker was underlining almost every word as misspelt. the problems were not caused by adblock plus as I was using ublock origin to test that hypothesis and it still froze. The freeze that finally convinced me to uninstall it and reinstall from the mozilla repo actually froze the entire computer and when I rebooted there were problems with the background image being repositioned so that the centre of the wallpaper was at the left hand edge of the screen. Took me a while to put that right but managed it with feh. I think the issue is just that the ESR version is rubbish thats my professional opinion LOL.

Sun For Miles wrote:

the only concrete thing I've had was my unproven conclusion that the mentioned version does horrible job with multithreading on mylaptop for whatever the reason, because I've noticed that one (out of four) CPU core gets stuck on 100% by browser process every now and then.

I think this is probably the answer. All the freezes I was getting certainly would be consistent with that

Last edited by THX1138 (2019-01-24 11:01:51)

I did not attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. (Mark Twain)

#11 2019-01-24 14:47:47

dbickin

Bunsen Hydrogen runs on Debian Jessie, and the current version of Firefox there is 60.4.0esr-1~deb8u1.
You do have security updates enabled? If not, you should do so immediately, and install all the upgrades available (including Firefox). The only architecture for which Fx is currently 52.9 is armel.

I guess I haven't run an update in a while!  Synaptic said the latest version 52. After running an update it does now say 60. So that is installing as I write this.

What does "security updates enabled" mean? I thought the only way to see them was to remember to manually go in, run reload in synaptic and look for them. Is there an automatic way to have that happen? (Or write my own cronjob to do it.)

David

PS btw, I removed adBlock and replaced it with uBlock, and my freezing problem is mostly gone. I suspect what freezes I now see are the horrible network connection not being able to keep up.

#12 2019-01-24 15:02:50

Bearded_Blunder

I think most users here do updates and upgrades from the terminal, you could look into the unattended-upgrades package if you want things to happen by themselves, I'm not sure if it gets configured, or how when you install it, you might need to do some things to get it going, once it is it'll do security updates without intervention.

There was talk of possibly including it in bunsen, and then debate over if it should be enabled or not, or a question in bl-welcome.

The output of

apt-cache policy

should tell you if you have the security repo enabled (it is by default)

I think you put your finger on the main issue though:

dbickin wrote:

I guess I haven't run an update in a while!

Personally I find opening a terminal & doing

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

more convenient than using synaptic.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-01-24 15:03:52)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#13 2019-01-25 03:54:11

johnraff
nullglob
Website

THX1138 wrote:

I think the issue is just that the ESR version is rubbish

A tad over the top IMHO. I've been using Fx ESR ever since it was available (plain Fx before that) and had no freezing issues, nor seen many such posts here.

John
--------------------

#14 2019-01-26 05:04:09

dbickin

Man, I dislike Firefox 60. It just looks "wrong". The address bar is so small I can't see all of the url I am at. I suppose it is safer due to safety fixes, but I wish I HAD NOT done that update. A number of my add-ons are no longer supported.

Oh well.

I appear to have the security repos. My only issue is that I have to REMEMBER to run the update.

David

#15 2019-01-26 08:21:59

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^I feel that way after every major Firefox upgrade to be honest. They always seem to break one of my favourite features. I'm grimly hanging on to my old layout, with addons (a lot of them broke with quantum neutral ) and config tweaks. Looks like this:
KltyiJ1l.png

John
--------------------

#16 2019-01-26 11:06:08

vasa1

dbickin wrote:

Man, I dislike Firefox 60. It just looks "wrong". The address bar is so small I can't see all of the url I am at.

Do you have many extensions? They could be taking up space that would otherwise be available to the address bar.

Using the Openbox (3.5.2) session of Lubuntu 14.04 LTS but very interested in BL :)

#17 2019-01-26 15:18:03

DeepDayze

I miss a lot of the old extensions but managed to find some decent replacements for them.

Real Men Use Linux

#18 2019-01-31 08:53:07

dbvolvox

dbickin wrote:

PS btw, I removed adBlock and replaced it with uBlock, and my freezing problem is mostly gone. I suspect what freezes I now see are the horrible network connection not being able to keep up.

I use a pihole which covers all devices on the network, worth a try.

Board footer