You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-14 03:17:56

hhh
Meep!
Website

Boot a lithium USB on an Apple product?

I've never used Apple products. My workplace uses Apple products, mostly laptops, and a lot of Apple software, primarily Upserve (formally Breadcrumb), we're a restaurant.

They also use Amazon a lot, and the sound system is Sonos, a system that sounds like crap, has crap build quality and, as the recent "recycle mode" that bricks the unit has proven, is crap on morals. BTW,  we're a vegan-friendly brunch/coffee shop that tries to be progressive in our appearance. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. The owner is 100% a good guy, he's just treading the water between being socially conscience and making a profit.

I'd love to LIVE boot BL lithium on somebody's laptop. I haven't sifted through the Internet yet, I was hoping to get some advice here first. Do Apple laptops even have USB ports any more? What model should I look for to demonstrate BL on? How do I get to the boot menu on startup?

I have no intention of converting them to Linux, I just want to show off BL.

Thanks for any help.

#2 2020-02-12 02:21:45

DomOctober

Re: Boot a lithium USB on an Apple product?

Have you made any progress on this? Can't speak from too much experience here but I'm currently running Debian on a 2009 Macbook Pro. Typically after you burn the image to a USB with Etcher or something similar, you would reboot the machine and hold down alt/Option once you hear the mac "bing". This will bring you to a boot menu and you'll have the option to install/run a live session.
Hope you're able to try this out. May be installing BL on this Mac soon myself.

#3 2020-02-12 02:45:17

hhh
Meep!
Website

Thanks for the response! All my co-workers run Macs, and I've been looking at their hardware and it looks like USB inputs are still present. Now I have to just convince one of theme that if I boot BL Live it won't cause harm to their computer. I'll update you if this happens.

#4 2020-02-16 01:37:01

phil_in_la

I'd love to help, but the only Apple product I currently have that's working is a used 2010 iMac I just bought. It's underpowered for the modern day, but for what I need it for it's awesome. I have two mac os partitions on it (one that's basically a copy of an old Lion backup disk from a 2009 Macbook Pro laptop I had circa 2016) and one that's a fresh install of High Sierra that I would like to use to run fusion.

I also installed bodhi linux on one partition to see how it would work. Some caveats: when I installed it it wouldn't reboot into Refind but went straight to bodhi's grub. I had to use my old backup to fix things, or even get it to pick up on the recovery partition on my mac. So whatever you do, have a small recovery thingey for MacOS on a USB stick and you should be able to get things pointed at the MacOS and refind re-blessed shortly.

Refind is awesome.

I also took the hard drive out of my netbook (which has two installations of Bunsen on it) and connected it to it just to see if it worked. It doesn't work very well, but I think it's a problem with the usb to SATA cable I'm using. With the cable/drive plugged in refind likes to freeze up. Once it gets booted it becomes more stable.

Anyway, to summarize: it works, but take precautions if you're installing to hard disk to be able to get back to MacOS via a recovery thingey on a usb key.

#5 2020-02-29 15:31:09

jimjamz

Yes, it is possible for you to run BL live on those Apple products without having any impact on the current system configuration.

What storage medium do you intend to use to run BL live?  A USB or DVD?  More importantly, what operating system are you going to use to make the BL live medium?
If you're planning on installing BL live on a USB, it really depends on what operating system you are using to make it.
I already have BL installed on my machine, and I used that to put the BL live onto USB sticks. If you're using Windows or MacOS to do this, then the steps will vary.

Please check out the installation guide here as it also applies to BL live also : https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html

I'm currently running a mid-2010 Macbook A1342 unibody that has both the original MacOS X Snow Leopard on one partition and BL Helium on another.  It has an 8GB RAM upgrade and a Crucial SSD installed and BL flies on it and I suspect it will do so for some more years.

Board footer