You are not logged in.

#326 2019-02-14 11:15:28

Nili
Website

Re: Your views/experiences with web browsers fellow nixers ? :)

Pale Moon recently have Photonic theme support.

With the release of Firefox 57 came Quantum and the new "Photon" default theme. Now, this is on Pale Moon!
forum.palemoon.org

I tried and felt a part of Firefox Quantum, Who uses this browser, make sure to check this theme. It looks good.

Last edited by Nili (2019-02-14 11:18:45)

I only play 96kHz Hi-Res audio WAV or FLAC via DAC player.
Chuck Norris doesn't approve systemd.

#327 2019-02-14 14:11:26

THX1138

Lost my love affair with chromium ungoogled, it started acting up after a while and I  switched back to FFox, but searching for a security focused browser (only cos I'm a bit of a paranoid android about security)
In the meantime I intend to try Nili's suggestion of palemoon

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#328 2019-03-26 20:21:53

Martin
Website

Anyone with experience of the Epic Privacy Browser?

Edit: I just realised Epic is not for *nix.

It was mentioned in a usenet forum thread discussing this online article. The poster mentioneing Epic stated this article was good only for the really uninitiated and went on mentioning things and SW omitted. He claimed Opera and above all Epic were better at privacy than the browsers listed in the article.

Your thougths on this?

/Martin

Last edited by Martin (2019-03-26 20:31:31)

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#329 2019-03-26 22:07:50

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

^ Never heard of it. I tend to be skeptical of any service providing a free VPN or proxy.
Also, while I agree with that usenet forum poster on FastCompany (and it's related sister publications) not being an authority on matters pertaining to privacy or security, I wouldn't put much trust in modern day Opera.

Edit:
Then again, I have a habit of being negative for the sake of negativity, so maybe this newfangled browser is truly the best thing since bubblewrap and I'm losing out. I'll just blame society if that ends up being the case.

Last edited by glittersloth (2019-03-26 23:53:22)

#330 2019-03-26 23:50:45

hhh
Meep!
Website

glittersloth wrote:

I'll just blame society if that ends up being the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKIaS0lh-uo (comedy fake gore nsfw)

#331 2019-03-27 00:00:57

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

... speaking of repossessions, has a general consensus on Librefox been made yet, or is it still too early to judge?

#332 2019-03-27 04:03:47

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

glittersloth wrote:

... speaking of repossessions, has a general consensus on Librefox been made yet, or is it still too early to judge?

That looks interesting, I might need to spend some time with this.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

#333 2019-03-28 07:16:04

ohnonot
...again
Website

glittersloth wrote:

afaiu, in its current incarnation, just a set of default permissions.
nothing very spectacular.
at least they're upfront about it in the readme.

Interesting on archlinux:
there's an AUR package that can be installed system-wide and interacts with an existing vanilla firefox installation.

I...

• installed it

• removed the ~/.mozilla/firefox folder

And now on startup, firefox has the exact settings that are always the first thing i change on a new firefox install. Plus the really evil stuff is greyed out, i.e. cannot be changed. Handy.

#334 2019-11-13 19:39:12

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Been awhile fellows, thanks for any good adds and now need some testers eh. smile

Ok, random stuff, mentioned in another thread Firefox (from Mozilla) and firefox-esr from repo's now comes with 8 content processes (e10's) default. Feel this is much too high and tend to go with 1 per/core on a system. Whatcha guys think ?

Next up, an oldie about:config tweak I'd long used but quit bothering with many of these with newer versions of FF. Of course type about:config in FF's address bar, then search for this puppy ...

network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server

I tend to jack this up to 8-10 (default now is 6), though never more than 10 or consider such a user as being an azzhatish type. smile

Next up in FF randomness, more about:config junk. Are times when someone wants "the facts, just the facts ma'am" Such as when on a slow connection, or say a mobile hotspot where bandwidth is limited/expensive. The following is supposed to prevent FF from dl'ing images. Thus should speed things up and save someone on BW. It's ...

permissions.default.image

Default = 1 (normal show images.)
Set this to 2 and it disables displaying images. Though have as yet even bothered confirming it doesn't download the things. If not this is stupid and pointless. Anyway, if anyone feels like applying these puppies and checking out impact on browsing speed, please report back for everyone's benefit. Easy enough to reset them to defaults anyway. Thanks fellow nixers. Have reached my post limit, errrrr about 20 posts ago. Bbl fellas. tongue

Inevitable babbling edits: Or someone can take the cautious road, probably best ... and setup a fresh profile to dork with. Of course also found this thing. Some of those had long used, some find interesting. The disabling tabs animations thing and getting rid of the add-on delay junk.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-13 20:15:54)

#335 2019-11-13 20:23:09

MALsPa

Video/media autoplay in Firefox, my biggest pet peeve. They don't make it so easy to shut down, and it seems like the way to shut it down changes from one version to the next.

#336 2019-11-13 22:05:10

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Heya MALsPA, hope you're doing well man. smile

Sheesh am on a friggin spree fellows ! Anyway had to double bk of course and add a misc thought to this. One of the awesome things about tech and computers, it's all 100% fact based. Pretty much anything and everything can be tested. Based on hardcore indisputable metrics, so reasonably done it's not a case of I think FF-etc is faster after I fiddle with this, I KNOW IT IS. Because I reviewed webpg load times before/after xyz-dorking. FF and Chrome/ium as well actually have built in tools for this type of thing already.

ie: For FF, right click on a webpg, select "inspect element", then network, this page says

2 requests 63.21 KB / 0 B transferred Finish: 23 ms

So if I fiddle with something and keep on re-testing, load time goes up afterwards well then I know, goes down etc. Though of course such testing has to be done somewhat competently blahblah. Clearing caches or whatnot. Before/after I (dis)-enable noscript etc etc. You guys know what I'm saying but being anal and saying-typing it anyways. big_smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-13 22:22:50)

#337 2019-11-14 11:16:39

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Something else FF related fellows.

When the noscript add-on is running, have been getting failed webpg download, go to save something and it fails, retry = succeeds and does so the first time if noscript is disabled at the time. Has anyone else been seeing this ? Can be very aggravating and in ways am starting to think noscript is getting too big for it's britches. Starting to get the compulsion to find an alternative approach to it, though it's still an almost must have add-on in my view. The added security of preventing javascripts from running on websites and whatever system overhead (mem/cpu, also hopefully speed)not running that .js provides. May explore ways to do what it does via script or about:config fiddling or whatever.

Was also going to gripe about the check box to disable 3rd party cookies having been removed but found this. So hasn't been removed, just reconfigured eh. smile

Edit: Dang it, there for a sec thought I might actually have a post w/o the BLizgreat! last edit @ blahblahblah time. big_smile Need to go back through and read up on what all you guys have said, this puppy blew up (43k views)! Which is good, nixers will never get tired of web-browser related stuff. Rolling up sleeves, preparing to read. Cover me am going in ! tongue

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-14 13:26:18)

#338 2019-11-14 12:30:04

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Ye gawds !!! Lol, sheesh need to reread this whole thing, from a nixer user-named Martix on pg12, found his mention of typing "about:about" in the FF address bar !!! Yowza, look at em all !!! Wth ?!?!? tongue Here comes the edit (down there. smile ): This type of junk is why I wuv Mozilla/FF, so much stuff a person can fiddle with and tweak !

Nother one, @brontosaurusrex pg13, post #315 LMAO !!! big_smile. Not going to keep at this mentioning stuff, too many. Dang the nixers here really stepped up to the plate on this one ! Thing is full of useful, interesting ... cool and/or just outright weird web-browserage stuff ! smile Yep, gotta reread the thing.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-14 13:16:40)

#339 2019-11-14 14:26:40

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Warning to a degree hypocritical, self-righteous post(semi rant) follows.

One thing about being an end-user of whichever open source proj. Specifically by way of example, Mozilla/Firefox in this case. You'll see people endlessly griping about ads or revenue agreements with Google Inc, data collection, regardless of what it's intended to be used for. Such data can actually be very valuable in improving performance, quality, security etc for a project like Firefox. Without it, does leave the developers guessing vs hard data for them to review and use to make refinements + improve the things overall.

Anyway, getting back to the main babble point I'm intending to make here. Open source ISN'T free, not for the devs and maintainers. Yes they have to eat, yes they have to pay their bills. Try telling the electric company, hey I'm going to pay ya guys with good intentions. Gonna pay by making the web a more open and better place for all of humanity, YAY ! Power-guy, errrr, mmmm, yeah, that's great (flips the switch to cut off the power.) Call us when you got cash and we'll come back out and turn this back on ... ok ? big_smile

They do need $ and material resources. Sheesh Bunsenlabs no doubt can do with some of the green stuff. People use and want great software, they demand it in fact. However for an endless number of projs out there, the people who do it, do the work and have the skills, like the rest of us only have 24hrs in a day and have to pay bills too. So they can't devote as much time and energy, whatever we get is a gift from them for whichever reasons. I mean Mozilla is a non-profit, has full time people who work on it for a living but they still all have bills to pay.

Imagine coming home, after 8-10hrs working. Sitdown in front of comp, fire that baby up and go to some distro or proj a person is volunteering time to. 3,230 users, hey why isn't this doing that, why isn't this thataway, this should be newer, change your logo I don't like it. Errrr imagine how you'd feel. Just saying, never given a dime to Mozilla, nor as yet even to a gnu/Nix distro I wuv either. Still been intending to do more to support them, financially, even if only passively. Clear xyz-home site in Adblocker, do a lil more to send bug reports ... that kind of thing. Though fairly soon going to go ahead and send in some $ too. Been using and enjoying the product of so many people's hard work for yrs. So hey, about time I buy somebody a damn beer or summin. big_smile

Free as in beer, in the real world, beer majority of the time isn't free. Just ask my older brother. Hey bro, long time no see ( I'm heading towards his liquor cabinet.) Errrr in this scenario beer, vodka, tequila, rum etc)is in fact free but sheesh, he still has to pay for it ! big_smile

Shakez fist @nobody in particular and this was not aimed at anybody specifically either. Just a reminder blahblahblah kinda thing fellow nixers. tongue

#340 2019-11-15 06:35:53

ohnonot
...again
Website

MALsPa wrote:

Video/media autoplay in Firefox, my biggest pet peeve. They don't make it so easy to shut down, and it seems like the way to shut it down changes from one version to the next.

I never have a problem with this, and never had.
Could you give me an example of a link that would trigger autoplay?

#341 2019-11-15 13:27:17

MALsPa

ohnonot wrote:
MALsPa wrote:

I never have a problem with this, and never had.
Could you give me an example of a link that would trigger autoplay?

Really? For me, it happens at a lot of sites. First example that comes to mind is when I click on articles at espn dot com.

I use Firefox ESR from Debian Stable, and then right now I have FF 70.0.1 in Kubuntu and in Arch. First I go to Preferences > Privacy & Security > Permissions. The settings there will differ depending on the Firefox version. For example, in Kubuntu I see the Autoplay settings, and I have that set to "Block Audio and Video". But it doesn't really work.

So what ends up working for me is to go to about:config and fiddle with the media autoplay settings in there. The settings there differ depending on the Firefox version as well, but with a bit of tinkering I can always get the problem taken care of. But it's just an annoyance to have to do that.

Last edited by MALsPa (2019-11-15 13:27:36)

#342 2019-11-16 06:21:30

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Hey no worries MALsPa ...

Kind of self inflicted headache too. When someone is opting to use several different releases of software, are bound to be differences and aggravations but you're up to the task and imo, that's what real nixers do. They set things up as they like them and sort out the issues as they go. Yeppers, config + settings definitely have changed. To the point to where for a long time I abandoned even fiddling with them to any extent in the about:config settings. Outside of several tweaks I'd long used, know work and haven't changed. Am getting back into it with current versions of FF though. Like anything esp tech, it's all online, we just have to find and apply the info or poke and prod at it enough, till we figure things out.

Take the animate tabs things I'd mentioned above, had long since disabled the thing. One day went to search in a newer version of FF about:config bar and what I'd typed formerly didn't bring it up. Clearly it was still there, only been renamed. Anyway the default for it is kinda cool, a tab finishes loading and a little shine affect slides across it telling someone, hey I'm done loading !!! Which yay ! There are other indicators too, a lil bar thing which goes back and forth until the tab is done loading too. However I'd rather save any resources such eye-candy entails and shoot for light and fast, so yep disabled the tabs animation thing as it's known under it's new name. Though I still have the lil back n forth thing which tells me, it's still loading or loaded. Oh well, someone can just keep learning and fiddling. There's a solution (or several)out there for whatever the hades x-nixer wants. smile

Haven't really done much FF exploration in last couple dys, so really nothing beyond the above to say on it. Ah wait a minute, I disabled the disk cache by adjusting these

browser.cache.disk.capacity

Setting it to 0, which should mean NONE and toggling the following to false, which should mean none/off too.

browser.cache.disk.enable

However go to check in FF's preferences deal and ? Still showing diskspace is being used. Haven't bothered running down the cause. Though in my view, cookies and session store etc shouldn't be part of the disk cache. Just noting it as think it's interesting. Also though yeppers, Mozilla has bills to pay, does engage in some degree of shenanighans like everyone else on the planet. At least all of this stuff is accessible and can be config'ed according to our/your tastes to a great extent. Hope FF stays around, will be a sad dy if it dies out. Though as I'd predicted YEARS ago, Google Inc smashed it's opponents in the browser wars. Not accurate to even call such things a war anymore, the war is pretty much over, more like a slaughter or the Google Inc browser empire and dominion. tongue

Google Inc says to Mozilla:
Ye fox thing may continue to live, some among the unwashed (techno-masses) still prefer thee for some reason. However you will enter into this search agreement with us.

Mozilla: Bows and scrapes, oh thank you lord Google, we shall enjoy whatever monies you allow for sending our search traffic thy way, thank you lord, thank you !!!!

The mighty GOOG: Thou are dismissed, we tire of talking to you. (waves hand in that old buzz off gesture we all luv.) big_smile

Mozilla: Yes your lordship, thank you for talking to us at all !!! Very kind of you !!!

Just keeping it real and trying to make what's actually a disturbing and/or sad situation funny - entertaining. big_smile

#343 2019-11-17 18:53:15

ohnonot
...again
Website

MALsPa wrote:

espn dot com.

This site brought my browser to its knees.
Seriously, I had to 'kill -9' it.
Not going to try again.

#344 2019-11-18 06:07:44

Huldalumi

I am running both opera and brave browser opera seems to work well and loads pages quicker on my trusty esprimo mobile than chromium or Firefox
But mainly I have opera because the wife likes the speed dial (don't ask why) I like the brave browser

yeah,well, thats just like, your opinion man
The Dude

#345 2019-11-20 07:14:22

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Ok so with Firefox I was mucking around in about:support and this part of it caught my eye. There is a lot there, worth taking a look but getting back ...

Remote Processes
Type 	Count
Web Content	2 / 2
Extension	1

Extensions
Name 	Version 	Enabled 	ID
Amazon.com	1.1	true	amazondotcom@search.mozilla.org
Bing	        1.0	true	bing@search.mozilla.org
DuckDuckGo	1.0	true	ddg@search.mozilla.org
eBay	        1.0	true	ebay@search.mozilla.org
Google	        1.0	true	google@search.mozilla.org
NoScript	11.0.9	true	{73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}
Twitter	        1.0	true	twitter@search.mozilla.org
Wikipedia (en)	1.0	true	wikipedia@search.mozilla.org

The first part about Web Content, mentioned I reduce the number of Content processes(e10's) down to 1 per cpu-core, I have a dual-core, so that's 2 there and am only running 1 add-on = Noscript but what I was actually wanting to point out here is the stuff underneath that, listed under Extensions(you see Noscript is listed there and yep, it uses system resources to some extent) all the rest of that crap, other than Google search I don't want, the Amazon-rest of them. Didn't bother checking but dawned on me that these others may pointlessly be adding overhead to the browser so went ahead and disabled the things. Get into FF's setting, Preferences > Search and can't miss them. Should've checked, didn't ... don't care and just pointing it out.

Something else cool, listed under about:support you'll also find a list of "important" modified config settings. Such as stuff you've dorked with if ever want to review that info. Also currently boning up on how to and what's available to tweak Chrome(and based), Chromium browsers. Yeppers  apparently plenty of ways to tweak these things too. Though as yet haven't really messed with it just finally deciding to see what's possible.

VlFF!!! = Viva la Firefox !!! Screw Chrome !!! Studies have shown that Google Chrome is by far the most preferred web browser among those grammar nazi azzhat's you always see online. Oh you can't use a period there, hey ... comma's should be blahblahblah. Screw them too ! I can use a. period. wherever. the ... hell. I want. to. big_smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-20 07:30:30)

#346 2019-11-20 13:29:36

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Here's a really cool one. Sheesh someone can come across the strangest junk while scrolling around in all the junk in Firefox's about:config settings. As a result, found one I think is fairly friggin cool. It's related to a newer/better content-encoding some servers use to compress the stuff they send out. Any server admin with 12 brain cells already uses compression ie: gzip etc, many precompress and cache static content. Means the stuff your browser requests is compressed to be smaller, more data sent out, faster and it's decompressed on your end (by the web browser for example.)

Anyway, there's this new one Brotli, if you go to FF's about:config settings and search for this, yours will only have this as options gzip, deflate ...

network.http.accept-encoding

Where I've made mine as follows, by clicking on the thing of course and choosing Modify

gzip, deflate, br

Your computer and the one's or servers you connect to will negotiate which content-encoding is going to be used, so if it supports br and they shake hands and say, yeppers let's use that one. It'll be faster/better. Firefox already does this with https anyway. This one ...

network.http.accept-encoding.secure

Has br already as an option to be used. Reason apparently is that some of the junk on the network between the server sending you stuff and when you receive it can poorly handle Brotli. However leaves https data streams alone. Though things are changing, as such I'm testing it out on http too and have considered exploring the add-on https everywhere just to be sure if Brotli is supported and both my pc and the one I'm connecting to support it, that it's used. Only been using it for all of 15-20mins. Haven't noticed any issues and don't foresee any, shrugs. Folks want to test, more people using it the wider support it'll get and there's nothing wrong with stuff newer/better that beats what we're using now, right ?

Would share my other patented FF tweaks but then I'd have to kill all of ya's. That's a lot of travel, lotsa bloodshed and I like too damn many of the nixers here, plus am sure some of you can run pretty fast and/or may be able to kick ma butt. Ahhhh so, forgetaboutit. big_smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-20 14:45:27)

#347 2019-11-20 14:00:18

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

HEY BLITZ!!!!!

you do know about: about:about don't you?

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#348 2019-11-20 14:09:47

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Yeppers Sector, mentioned it a couple posts back. tongue It's crazy though, Mozilla might be going overboard with the about's about's stuff, lol ... Oh well just more stuff to fiddle with as long as it doesn't bog down the browser or cause other issues like excessive frivolous system overhead, doesn't bother me. Plus as long as things stay uber-tweakable someone can always get rid of junk.

Have debated taking things to the next level in terms of Firefox and trying to do a thing like "faster fox" or whatever. Cutting out a bunch of things I don't give a crap about to try to slim the thing down and thus possibly speed it on up. NOPE !!! Not doing it, that's just too much effort. Firefox can be made VERY fast and light just the way it is now. They still support 32bit too ! Would bet cash FF the way I have it set up vs the avg persons Chrome on the same system specs and type of network would blow the doors off Chrome in speed and in terms of system overhead. Would be a no contest.

PS, to be fair though, recently installed Chrome and it was an absolute nightmare !!! Then decided hey, surely it (and Chromium) can be tweaked too so went looking and apparently yep, much tweakage can be applied to make them lighter/faster etc etc. Though I trust Mozilla much more so than Google Inc. Would also trust Chromium more than them. Errrr would pretty much trust a stranger standing in front of a dark alley with a knife waving me over ... than Google Inc, shrugs. They are in it to win it. It being cold hard ca$h of course and raw powa !!! big_smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-20 14:16:25)

#349 2019-11-20 15:00:48

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Also there are plenty of tweaks which have been on the 2-dork (with FF) list a longgggg time and just haven't gotten around to messing with. Like stuff involving tmpfs(RAM.) Archwiki has been suggesting people with the memory to spare putting the profile into memory forever and someone surely was before whoever added that to the Archwiki. Plenty of about:config dorking not yet touched and new one's added I've not yet even seen. In other words ... I HAVE NOT YET BEGUN TO TWEAK FF ! big_smile

Also mentioned a few posts back or in damo's FF thread, Firefox is like the gnu/Linux of web-browsers. Endless junk someone can fiddle with and optimize in it. As with everything just takes effort and know-how to get things working better. Seek (info) and ye shall find, knock, doors open and all that type of crap. Blahblahblah n blah.

VlFF! smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-20 15:02:27)

#350 2019-11-20 15:11:34

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

BLizgreat! wrote:

Yeppers Sector, mentioned it a couple posts back. tongue It's crazy though, Mozilla might be going overboard with the about's about's stuff, lol ... Oh well just more stuff to fiddle with as long as it doesn't bog down the browser or cause other issues like excessive frivolous system overhead, doesn't bother me. Plus as long as things stay uber-tweakable someone can always get rid of junk.

I can see it now: 2025

about:about:faq
about:about:config:faq
about:about:preferences:faq
about:about:system:faq
etc
about:about:tweaking:BLizgreat!:faq

angel

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

Board footer