You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-28 04:01:53

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Your views/experiences with web browsers fellow nixers ? :)

Ok ... I'm obviously on a web browser kick and am just wondering what other nixers here prefer. Which you like, which you hate, and good/bad - pros/cons you've personally experienced with gnu/Linux web-browserage ?

Atm have latest FF release (53.0.3) and one called Slimjet installed. Have played around with slimjet and yep, it is fast enough. Not all that much faster than the Fox on my system but slightly. Actually only in some cases, not all or all websites.

Also wondering if anyone prefers or has recently played around with Opera on gnu/Nix ? If so ... how does it stack up ? Just downloaded the thing and have yet to give it a try. Still would be nice to hear from some folks about their experiences and thoughts on it.

Another Vivaldi is awaiting in the Downloads directory. Also would like to hear peoples findings and opinions on this browser, if they feel like sharing. Finally have been evaluating Palemoon for gnu/Linux. Haven't bothered installing it yet either atm. Sucker started as a Firefox fork but supposedly since then has become a true fork. Even using a slightly different rendering engine than Gecko, one called Goanna.

Haven't exhaustively looked into it but assume it's just a fiddled with version of Gecko, the rendering engine used by Firefox. Ok ... So what sayeth ye's ? Anything you'd like to share on the topic ? These browsers in particular, perhaps make people aware of a kickbutt browser I've/they've never even heard of yet ?

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-28 04:28:23)

#2 2017-05-28 04:35:50

MALsPa

Re: Your views/experiences with web browsers fellow nixers ? :)

I've been using only Pale Moon for the past several months (since around October). Works well for me. I use pminstaller for updating it.

#3 2017-05-28 04:39:42

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^Thanks MALsPa, long time, no see. Hope things are well with you dude. smile

It's on the 2try list, atm ... just for giggles playing around with slimjet again. Yep sucker is snappy but it's also melting my friggin eyeballs the screen is so bright, I'd need to wear shades. cool goodness gracious ! Arghhhhhh.

Will take that as a +1 for Palemoon. Hey MALsPa, do they maintain their own website for extensions or leave that to Mozilla or what ?

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-28 04:41:17)

#4 2017-05-28 05:03:53

MALsPa

BLizgreat! wrote:

Hey MALsPa, do they maintain their own website for extensions or leave that to Mozilla or what ?

Both, looks like.

palemoon-1.th.png

I'm currently using only two add-ons, though. UBlock Origin (directly targets Pale Moon) and Xmarks (targets Firefox).

Last edited by MALsPa (2017-05-28 05:12:59)

#5 2017-05-28 05:43:37

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Hey cool ... thanks. smile

#6 2017-05-28 09:18:08

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Still firefox for me.

I know that Chrom{e,ium} is both faster and more secure but it's also buggy as hell, doesn't render pages correctly and has a documented history of covertly phoning home.

I don't trust any of the other browsers simply for security reasons, although surf is tempting (for my Arch box).

EDIT: I prefer firefox-esr.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-05-28 09:21:36)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#7 2017-05-28 09:45:53

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Thanks ... had never even bothered to look into what the firefox-esr was vs release. Interesting.

Am also sticking with Firefox. Am gradually regaining my former tweakage abilities. For real, even if it's single process this, blahblahblah. For me it's really so dang close speedwise to everything else, it's a moot point.

Am not really assessing these others as replacement candidates as of yet. Mozilla is supposed to be doing some neat stuff with this e10 thing you made me aware of and the Quantum or Servo rendering engine enhancements. Hoping they do something really grand. Any way it goes, sticking with da Fox to the bitter end, if the end does come.

Started using FF when it first came on the scene and will remain a loyal user up until it(if it) ever proves it's no longer worth messing with. Wouldn't be being honest if I said some of the proposed changes don't have me concerned, shrugs and can't see anything wrong with getting acquainted with some other web browserage no matter what. Honestly been using it so long, the idea of setting any browser other than Firefox default seems outright strange and alien to me.

One thing I'm also confident in, the people at Mozilla know more about developing browsers and all associated technologies, than I ever could, shrugs. So going to have to assume, these proposed changes are going to be for the best.

Fingerz crossed*

Sheesh, Firefox saved the web from IE once. Here's to hoping they do it again vs Google/Chrome.

#8 2017-05-28 10:03:47

damo
....moderator....

BLizgreat! wrote:

.... it's a moot point.

OT/  Yay, someone who gets this right! So many say "mute point", which is irritatingly oxymoronic  mad

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#9 2017-05-28 10:09:24

MALsPa

damo wrote:
BLizgreat! wrote:

.... it's a moot point.

OT/  Yay, someone who gets this right! So many say "mute point", which is irritatingly oxymoronic  mad

Ugh. Annoys me to no end when I see that.

#10 2017-05-28 10:14:27

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

HA ! Yep ... for once I didn't murder grammar & the English language ! Though still have a tendency towards being oxymoronic nonetheless. wink

#11 2017-05-28 10:44:01

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

@OP: I'm a happy user of the palemoon, now at least for a year. Together with ublock, it seems fast enough, and a never-look-back-to-FF piece of software. For those who don't know, palemoon is fork/clone/whatever of FF, and it can use lots of add-ons developed for FF.

It updates itself via standard 'sudo apt-get udpate & sudo apt-get upgrade/dist-upgrade' procedure described here, thanks to stevep.

I didn't find any incompatibility so far (or: I can't remember I encountered one), and adobe-flash works as it works in FF.

AFAICR, youtube works as HTML5 (i.e. before one installs flash).

HTH

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#12 2017-05-28 10:51:19

Steve

Ive always used Firefox, even when i was a dreaded windows user.  Ive tried a few others like vivaldi, opera but keep coming back to FF as it just does what i want. I would like to see a new design of the bookmark functions though.

Last edited by Steve (2017-05-28 10:51:35)

#13 2017-05-28 11:13:25

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

@Well, if you like Slimjet, try Iridium as well. I liked both, Slimjet worked great for me. However lots of browsers seem to be suspect in terms of data collecting, especially the ones like Slimjet with lots of pre-configured features. I cannot tell if Iridium is that much better in this respect, as far as I understood, it should be like Chrom without googlevil. To test all kinds of browsers here are some more:
- Maxthon (sends data to China),
- Brave (blocks junk on default, but collects data too),
- Cliqz (it's a different kind of data collecting, something called green-tracker technology),
- SrWare Iron (similar to Chromium),
- Midori (I read about not being safe),
- X Web Browser (same here),
- Netsurf (it works for me, I like it, but it's more like a project).

Well, just to name a few... there is surely no shortage of browsers to try. Oh, and there is one beast: Eloston. Some time ago I asked about experiences regarding this browser and a short tuto for installing it - no replies...

#14 2017-05-28 11:37:09

Steve

^^ martix looks like ungoogled chromium is available for stretch.

https://ungoogled-software.github.io/un … -binaries/

#15 2017-05-28 11:46:10

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Have heard good things about all the browsers I mentioned in OP. Why I'm interested in the suckers and +1 about slimjet, thing does seem highly googified to me too.

Remember trying tons of Firefox forks over the years. Though was while on window$ at that time. Many of which were just Firefox renamed with a buncha tweaks applied ootb. Such as stuff like Swiftfox and Fasterfox or the like. For example just learned that Palemoon likely is such an example too. Though apparently they've become a full fork and are totally separate from FF now and not that there's anything wrong with pre-tweakage. See that, point being that in Palemoon at the time of that thread(end of 2013ish), pipelining was enabled default.

However it's disabled ootb in FF. Wish Firefox would take the dang queue and catch a dang clue and configure Firefox better ootb. Rather than the hyper-conservative way they've always seemed to do it and leave it up to endusers to adjust as they see fit.

Bottomline is majority of people are lazy, they'll always be lazy and if FF requires they actually learn something or tweak it for themselves ? Not going to happen jack. They'll install something else that does it for them, shrugs.

Mentioned speedwise FF is fairly well just as fast here as anything going. Didn't require excess tweaking or anything either. Arghhhh. Thanks for all the feedback and insights fellow nixers. Am not giving up on Firefox. Though am going to dork around with Palemoon more often. Why not, not like a nixer can't have and use both. smile

PS, wonder what other about:config tweaks are applied to that browser ootb ?

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-28 11:53:47)

#16 2017-05-28 12:09:05

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

The last time I tried Palemoon was on XP. If remember ran just fine, don't remember how I thought it stacked up against Firefox and think reason I shied away from it then was because I had more trust in Mozilla, than in the prospect of using a fork, that was using Mozilla anyway.

Am going to dork with it though. So far it's got two +1's in the thread. smile

Pointless update and jmo, can't do it. Installed Palemoon and it looks like an ancient and boxy version of Firefox. Was mucho slower, made up my mind so quickly on it though and the repo is for Jessie (not Stretch)but still, turned around and purged the sucker.

Dang it Firefox, looks like it's you and me bud, so GET THE LEAD OUT MOZILLA and start trying to win the browser wars dammit !!!! tongue Cut Chrome's head off and cr&p down it's neck !!! Ahhhhhhhh ! D:

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-28 12:39:06)

#17 2017-05-28 12:41:17

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Mostly pointless update take 2. tongue

Did find a backup browser I'm liking the looks of. Installed Opera, fricker is very fast and 1st impression is the sucker seems really nice. That's all of 2mins worth of dorking though and no matter what am not giving up on Firefox.

Will be dorking with Opera more too though.

Vll! smile

More Opera babblings, watching the output of "top", this browser is clearly already well into the multi-process thing. Several instances of opera processes jumping around. Bit heavier on cpu usage but well within reasonable limits and RAM use is also. So based on a grand total of 4mins worth of dorking around, Opera gets a thumbz up so far here. Thing is pretty dang slick. big_smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-28 12:56:52)

#18 2017-05-28 12:59:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

Opera

You do know that's a blob, right?

Opera FAQ wrote:
Is Opera planning to open source its browser?

Opera has no current plans to open source its browser.

http://www.operasoftware.com/press/faq

Are you comfortable running software whose source code cannot be read?

I am not neutral

#19 2017-05-28 13:01:48

MALsPa

BLizgreat! wrote:

the repo is for Jessie (not Stretch)

?

I don't see Pale Moon in the Debian repos. Oh, perhaps I misunderstood, maybe you found Steve Pusser's build: https://software.opensuse.org/download. … e=palemoon

I haven't been using that, though; I run various distros and it seems easier to just use pminstaller in all of them, even though I have to run the script when it's time to update the browser.

I used Firefox from back in its early days -- in fact, it was one of the things that got me into open source software. Used Chromium for quite a few years, too (with a few years using Chrome).

#20 2017-05-28 13:06:25

vasa1

BLizgreat! wrote:

One thing I'm also confident in, the people at Mozilla know more about developing browsers and all associated technologies, than I ever could, shrugs. So going to have to assume, these proposed changes are going to be for the best.

Fingerz crossed*

Sheesh, Firefox saved the web from IE once. Here's to hoping they do it again vs Google/Chrome.

But Fx57 may change things with the move to web extensions. Several popular extensions are expected to fall by the wayside: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/14/top-f … ns-status/

Using the Openbox (3.5.2) session of Lubuntu 14.04 LTS but very interested in BL :)

#21 2017-05-28 13:09:11

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Yeah MALsPa, added the Steve Pusser thingamajig.

Overall honestly yeah Hoas, I am. It's not like anyone who uses Firefox or for that matter anything open source ever actually does extensive auditing of the code themselves. We're all assuming many other people are though and to whatever extent, am sure there are "eyes on the code".

For real, Firefox could have plenty of malware cooked into it and doubt very many people would have a clue. Though I <heart> open source, could never deny it's amazing and kickarse. Unless someone is using a purely open source only gnu/Linux OS, fact is they've already got plenty of closed source running. Stuff like adobe's curse aka: flashplayer and gawds know what all else is lurking on each of our (the avg nixers) systems.

With the exception of Richard Stallman and the CIA and FBI probably have plenty of stuff stashed on his comp. wink

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-28 13:12:21)

#22 2017-05-28 13:40:56

Nili
Website

I've used Mozilla Firefox around 2006/7 under Windows XP at that time. Until later time i switched to Iceweasel on Debian later on to Pale Moon. I find PM ideal for my current minimum settings. When i'll buy a new and powerful computer finally i'd pass to Chrome. For the moment very happy with Pale Moon.

I only play 96kHz Hi-Res audio WAV or FLAC via DAC player.
Chuck Norris doesn't approve systemd.

#23 2017-05-28 13:47:24

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

It's not like anyone who uses Firefox or for that matter anything open source ever actually does extensive auditing of the code themselves.

OpenBSD routinely conducts source code audits for the base system but it is unusual in that respect.

I would hope that some are paying attention though and availability of the code does certainly make development much more effective.

viro wrote:

All software sucks, be it open-source [or] proprietary. The only question is what can be done with particular instance of suckage, and that’s where having the source matters.

EDIT: also, I would immediately question why Opera don't want me to see their code?

Even Microsoft have finally acknowledged the inherent advantages of the open-source development model and that sort of behaviour just makes me suspect that they are attempting to conceal something untoward.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-05-28 13:51:34)

#24 2017-05-28 14:08:37

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Have mucho respect for you Hoas,

You certainly take pains to know of which you speak fellow nixer. I'm not going to let my imagination run wild in regards the whole security and transparency thing though. Stuff like the firmware installed overseas ( I mean ok ... Coreboot etc, how many people actually use it ?), people running window$ in virtualbox or even kvm. Overall I know nothing about that but is there a setting someone can hit to keep win10 from phoning home or doing all the stuff it was designed to do ? When it's confined to VM and given network access. Majority of gnu/Nixers dualboot with window$ outright anyway. Too much to even try to bother getting into this.

Bsd is definitely still on the 2do list, once again, you've already been there, done that though. Dratz ! Ninja'd by Hoas again. big_smile Somebody hacks my box, they'll be sorely disappointed anyway.

For real finding Opera to be pretty dang nice overall. Firefox is staying default but this puppy is going to be dorked with further too. If for nothing else, because I haven't dorked with it on gnu/Linux in quite awhile. So it's got a whole novelty thing going on.

@Vasa1, yeah we've been discussing such too. It's just one of those things, Mozilla's supposed to cooking up some major changes. It's out of the userbases hands though. All I can do is hope for the best and watch and see. I don't use over many extensions anyway. Pretty much down to noscript for the most part. Though Palemoon is an alternative that's supposed to keep support for them and personally, if wanted to or had to have an extension I'd likely download one of any number of recent (though) older versions of Firefox from the Mozilla archive and it should/would run on blissfully for a long time to come.

@Palemoon, just cause I don't like it ( based on a monumentally really brief look at it) doesn't mean it doesn't have merit and is certainly nothing against people who do like it. Though honestly, I can't see myself becoming a fan. In a recent thread for giggles, downloaded and ran FFv10 from the Mozilla archives for a bit. Looked mucho like Palemoon, though believe it was faster than the PM v 27.xxx I dorked with for all of 2mins.

Think my quest for a backup browser is ended with Opera for time being. Will have to spend more time dorking with it, to really form any worthwhile opinion. At the moment looks as if it's got some good potential.

@Hoas, M$ is no doubt always concealing something untoward. Though the good thing about making 90bil a year and still having an open monopoly, they do much, much, MUCH that's untoward right out in the open and nobody cares. Not the govt's and the consumers on avg are completely clueless and also likely wouldn't care much, even if a catalog of M$'s dark deeds were handed to them outright.

They'd shrug and the next time they buy a new pc form factor,
pay the M$ tax without complaint. That's just my pointless babble opinion on that topic, shrugs.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-28 14:14:04)

#25 2017-05-28 14:36:16

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Also just cause I've developed a woody for Opera for time being. Doesn't mean the browserage discussion should close down though ! smile

Afterthought @Vasa1, guessing many of the more popular one's will find their way over into this web-extensions deal. Are some I would like to see live on, web development one's in particular and etc. Though if am understanding it, the newer versions of FF will also be fully compatible with Chrome/ium extensions.

So while some will be lost, hopefully some will also be gained with this too (Mozilla and FF users will then be able to poach among the efforts of the Chrome extension devs ?) Overall don't know where it'll all lead but been using Firefox for too long to just give up on it. Hoping Mozilla does something kickbutt to change the game. Supposedly Chrome's got 60%+ of the browser share and growing. Worries me whenever too much control over something like the net, falls into too few hands for sure.

I can say much about Google Inc ( more than a bit of it good things.) The do no evil, errrrr ... not so much and one thing I could never say about them and the people on their payroll, they are NOT stupid.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-28 14:49:53)

Board footer