You are not logged in.

#26 2019-01-29 07:34:40

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Re: Repair Your System Using BunsenLabs Live and Chroot

Well owe tknomanzr another thanks for putting this how-to up. This has saved me mucho butt-aches and time. Straight forward, effective, is appreciated.

Just for the record, I also finally figured out why the BL.iso worked on LM 19.1 Cinnamon(32bit) but failed with the Mate version. Was due to the BL.iso being 32bit, the MATE install was 64b, supposedly someone can use this kickbutt live-session chroot goodness with a 64b iso to rescue a 32b OS but not the other way around. Am fairly sure there are ways to do it, multi-arch blahblah but just wanted to note this in case someone ends up running up against a similar situation.

Thanks Tknomanzr. smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-01-29 07:35:49)

#27 2019-10-30 08:51:47

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Reason for visit, to kiss tknomanzr's cyber butt for putting this easy to follow chroot from live how-to up. big_smile Errrr, well going with shake his cyberhand or whatever but this tute has saved me mucho time and pain. Last few days wrapping up installing Buster, config'ed as I like it and it's been a real ordeal. In which this tute was heavily relied on to get the job done.

Also NUMEROUS thanks goes out to the BL team for including support for broadcom with b43 module. Even the dang Debian unofficial with nonfree netinstall iso, ... nope screw me. Could've taken other approaches ie: Chroot the damn thing from one of the Stretch-etc installs on the system that already have working wireless or even just download the packages and quickly transferred them to the non-net install + "dpkg -i *.deb" the stupid things but BL is kickarse for going the extra mile for us poor bastids afflicted by broadcom !

THANKS VERY MUCH Tknomanzr and BL team !!! YA'LL ROCK ! smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-10-30 08:54:06)

#28 2019-11-12 04:03:33

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Random note on this:

Couple of things I've noticed and have USED this tute a lot. :)

One issue someone may encounter when copying the BL's /etc/resolv.conf over, it'll complain about a dangling symlink on the target OS (depending) does so in Buster. Simple fix for it to rm - remove the resolv.conf file on that target system. I tend to do the whole process as root, making my user such in BL's live session with "sudo su", otherwise use sudo in below.

rm /mnt/chroot/etc/resolv.conf

Which is what it does, removes the file, then cp the /etc/resolv.conf file you're wanting and it'll succeed without danging symlink crappo. Also really think this should be scripted and built into the BL iso's too. Messing around with this and similar stuff. However my bash skills are somewhat lacking. I've had all manner of pdfs/bks on bash and using it in scripting on my system(s) forever. Though I must've been wrong, I thought if someone downloaded and kept bks on a subject long enough, the knowledge and info in them would seep through the hard drive, up the keyboard and into someone's brain, without need of reading them ? No ? Doesn't work that way ? Really ? Lmao. :D

It's on the 2-dork list though. Just stringing all necessary commands together, a pop-up which asks which partition/drive is to be mounted at /mnt/chroot and run/mount the rest of it a conditional thingy to check whether or not /mnt/chroot/etc/resolv.conf exists, if does run the remove (or back it up)command and then the cp command, otherwise just the cp one and whamo, proceed with script doing the chroot /mnt/chroot and ... JOY ! Also get complaints about /dev/pts not being mounted but don't much care or feel it's necessary in this to work.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-12 06:17:10)

#29 2019-11-12 07:18:16

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Pointless elaboration on the above, symlinking nonsense. Been griping in other threads about it, 900 progs now want to manage and/or overwrite resolv.conf ! Clearly on modern gnu/Nix, appears they like adding a symlink to control it too ! Check with ..

ls -l /etc/resolv.conf

Would show you what's linked to and fiddling with your resolv.conf file. smile Nothing comes back with the way this Stretch OS is config'ed anyway. However my other Buster does, it shows a symlink to resolvconf.service as griped about in other threads. Sheesh just leave my resolv.conf file ALONE DAMMIT !

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-12 07:19:32)

Board footer