You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-24 20:40:45

nobody0
Disabled account

Another way to install BunsenLabs, or any other Debian based live iso

Another way to install BunsenLabs, or any other Debian based live iso.

This how-to is for those, who have another Linux distro installed and have a working grub--usually everyone has. Also have a free partition to install BL RC1. For this let's take sda5 as the partition for BL RC1 installation.

1. Download the BunsenLabs RC1

2. Create a temporary working folder somewhere. (For this, I name it RC1)

3. Go to where BunsenLabs RC1 iso is and double click on it. The Archive Manager would open the iso. Go to the folder Live and open it (right click on it)

4. Highlight the filesystem.squashfs file and click Extract. Direct the extraction to the folder RC1. In a few minutes, you'd have the file filesystem.squashfs in RC1 folder. This is the only file you need for install process.

5. Open terminal as root inside the RC1 folder and do

unsquashfs filesystem.squashfs

After few minutes, you'd have a folder named squashfs-root in the folder RC1.

Now the fun starts.
Before doing anything, have a look inside the different folders if it interests you.

In the squashfs-root folder, you'd find the following folders; bin, boot, dev, etc, home, lib, live-build, lib64 (I'm using 64 bit), media, mnt, opt, proc, root, run, sbin, srv, sys, tmp, usr, var and two links initrd.img and vmlinuz.

Note: only the folders bin, boot, etc, sbin, usr and var has something in them, the other folders are empty.

6. As root, copy the contents of folder squashfs-root (except the live-build) to the intended partition (in my case /dev/sda5)

7. Mount file systems

# mkdir /mnt/BL
# mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/BL

8. Chroot into BL

# cd /mnt/BL
# mount -t proc none proc
# mount --rbind /dev dev
# mount --rbind /sys sys

Copy Internet hostnames

# cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/BL/etc/resolv.conf

Finally change root

# chroot /mnt/BL /bin/bash
# export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"

9. Configure your system
Open another terminal and do

# blkid

to find out the UUIDs of the intended partition for BL (for this example /sda5) and swap. Go back to the chroot terminal and do

(chroot) # nano /etc/fstab

There is nothing in the /etc/fstab, so you have to fill it. Here is an example;

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>   <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda5 
UUID=67fa5949-be24-4f95-bc51-b27218ecef3c /         ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda9 
UUID=f6e514d9-3a2d-4cf7-a8f6-81f4a2c72626 none      swap    sw                0       0

Optionally, if you want to upgrade, you can do it here.

(chroot) # apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Create a hostname. The default is localhost.localdomain, so delete it and write what you want.

(chroot) # nano /etc/hostname

If you want to use your localtime,

(chroot) # ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Warsaw /etc/localtime

Mine is Poland.

Now, you have to add youself as the user. Mine is “open.”

(chroot) # adduser open

You might want to give yourself root privileges.

(chroot) # visudo

Search for the line that looks like this:

root    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

Below this line, copy the format you see here, and add the new-user (in my case “open”)

open    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL 

CTRL-X, followed by "Y", and then hit "ENTER" to confirm.
In BunsenLabs, the skel is not where it should be, and when the user is added, lightdm is supposed to populate your home directory at the first login. Now, let's see, whether it works this way too. Normally, all configs should be in /etc/skel.

10. Exit chroot

(chroot) # exit
# cd /mnt
# umount -lR BL

11. Making sure this install would boot

# update-grub

You'd find BunsenLabs GNU/Linux 8.2 (Hydrogen) (8.2) on /dev/sda5. Reboot to find out the results.
It boots up, but no lightdm, and just standard configs pulled from /etc/xdg. So, back for another try. This time, I copy the contents in /usr/share/bunsen/skel to /etc/skel as root and go back to chroot.

Once in chroot (#7 & #8) I delete the user “open” together with open's home directory.

(chroot) # deluser --remove-home open

Then, I open the file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.bunsen and mark out line 114 “session-setup-script=/usr/lib/bunsen/bunsen-configs/bl-user-setup” and change line 100 “greeter-hide-users=true” to false. (I don't want to keep on writing username all the time.) Then, I do

(chroot) # update-initramfs -u

Now, I'm going to add a new user with a different name, for example “open1.”

(chroot) # adduser open1

Exit chroot and reboot.
Let's see what would happen.

It worked!
Added another user for testing. That worked too.

admin note:  Deleted content restored and thread closed to prevent further vandalism.

Last edited by pvsage (2016-02-01 23:07:24)

#2 2015-11-24 21:45:11

damo
....moderator....

Re: Another way to install BunsenLabs, or any other Debian based live iso

ostrolek wrote:

In BunsenLabs, the skel is not where it should be, and when the user is added, lightdm is supposed to populate your home directory at the first login. Now, let's see, whether it works this way too. Normally, all configs should be in /etc/skel.....

Read the Debian Policy Manual before making assertions like that hmm

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2015-11-24 21:52:30

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Can I ask:

ostrolek wrote:

As root, copy the contents of folder squashfs-root (except the live-build) to the intended partition (in my case /dev/sda5)

Which command are you using here?

How are you preserving symbolic links, devices, permissions and ownerships, modification times, ACLs and extended attributes?

There may be problems later if these properties are not transferred correctly.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#4 2015-11-24 22:30:09

nobody0
Disabled account

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Can I ask:

ostrolek wrote:

As root, copy the contents of folder squashfs-root (except the live-build) to the intended partition (in my case /dev/sda5)

Which command are you using here?

Open Thunar as root and copy the contents of squashfs-root to sda5. I use MC, instead of Thunar. MC is more reliable.

How are you preserving symbolic links, devices, permissions and ownerships, modification times, ACLs and extended attributes?

There may be problems later if these properties are not transferred correctly.

Absolutely! MC does that very well, copies everything.

#5 2015-11-24 22:51:08

nobody0
Disabled account

I wrote what I did.
In a live iso, for it to boot as live, there should be a working root's file system in it, only squashed. And, when booted in live mode the squashed root's system is opened as read only. 
If you have a free partition, why not try it out, just for fun.  I tried this with two other distros, one Debian-based, one Ubuntu-based. Complete success.

#6 2015-11-24 23:48:02

hhh
Meep!
Website

I just don't understand why you would go through the OP steps when you could just cp our ISO to USB and be up and running in 15 minutes with only a few keyboard presses. The fun starts, wha?

#7 2015-11-24 23:52:57

hhh
Meep!
Website

Anyway, thanks for posting! Maybe it will help someone without a USB or DVD drive.

#8 2015-11-25 18:21:17

nobody0
Disabled account

hhh wrote:

I just don't understand why you would go through the OP steps when you could just cp our ISO to USB and be up and running in 15 minutes with only a few keyboard presses. The fun starts, wha?

Its always interesting to find another way to get the same or better results. It is also a better way to install from a live iso, without letting it to take over the grub--all live isos have the habit of taking over grub, while installing. Not being connected to the internet wasn't a problem too. The /etc/apt/sources.list and  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen.list stayed put too.

The Archive Manager would let you know the contents of the live iso, and unsquashing the root's file system would show you what you'd get as your installed system, and also what you could change, even before you use it. You actually are installing the root's filesystem, but with a user to use it. You can also use the system as the root, without a user too, if you want.

Some live isos allow you to install while in live mode, and some don't. If you want to install BunsenLabs (or Crunchbang), you'd have to leave the live mode, reboot and click to install. If we want to distrohop, then we need the live isos, for we want to see how they work. But, if we want to install we are looking for a installer, so any way is good, as far as we get the result. Its even better, if we learn something out of it.   

Few days ago, I installed Fedora 23 this way, just to try out, if it would work. (I simply don't like the Fedora installer.) Not that, I wanted Fedora, but wanted to try to see, if the so-called rpm distro would get installed this way. (https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 8036#p8036)

#9 2015-11-25 18:58:51

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

ostrolek wrote:

It is also a better way to install from a live iso, without letting it to take over the grub--all live isos have the habit of taking over grub, while installing.

The Debian installer will accept not installing GRUB at all as option -- I use this option all the time 'cos I don't usually use GRUB so I know that it works just fine.

Perhaps you should select the "Advanced" installer if you wish to gain more control over the process.

ostrolek wrote:

Not being connected to the internet wasn't a problem too.

Slightly off-topic here but I have tried to explain this to you before.

Once more: if there is no connection during the installation or if no mirror is selected then no main repository lines are added to /etc/apt/sources.list and the CD/DVD lines are left in (un-commented).

*THIS IS NOT A BUG*

This is a *feature* of the installer designed to offer those who do not have a connection the chance to install new software form a C/DVD instead (Debian will supply it's entire software repository on a set of DVDs).

If your method adds main repsoitory lines in the absence of a connection or mirror during the installation then this will mean that users without a connection cannot install packages from the CD/DVDs.

Please try to consider other users -- not everybody has internet access.

#10 2015-11-25 20:20:23

nobody0
Disabled account

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
ostrolek wrote:

Not being connected to the internet wasn't a problem too.

Slightly off-topic here but I have tried to explain this to you before.

Once more: if there is no connection during the installation or if no mirror is selected then no main repository lines are added to /etc/apt/sources.list and the CD/DVD lines are left in (un-commented).

I am talking about a live iso, and without burning it to a CD/DVD/USB, but simply by un-archiving the .iso file and then un-sqaushing the root's file system, copying and pasting. As the live iso works, the root's file system also works.  The main repositories are already in /etc/apt/sources.list.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

If your method adds main repsoitory lines in the absence of a connection or mirror during the installation then this will mean that users without a connection cannot install packages from the CD/DVDs.

Please try to consider other users -- not everybody has internet access.

Everything is done manually. Nothing gets added automatically. It is just copy and paste, add some files or contents to files. If you want, you can install grub too.

If you have another distro installed, open it in Thunar from your working system, you'd notice that only /bin, /boot, /etc, /lib, /lib64, /sbin, /usr and /var has anything in them, and the others are empty. The /dev, /proc and /sys would get filled up, when you boot that system.  In a way, you can simply copy those directories to another partition (and update-grub) and you'd have an exact copy of your working system.

And, this is not my method, but derived from what others had been doing.

#11 2015-11-27 19:04:12

nobody0
Disabled account

Downloaded the debian-testing-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso, which can be used to install a fully working installation. It is just 636MB. I used the Archive Manager to look inside the iso. Inside. there is directory pool, that has 576.1MB of deb files from A-Z. I opened some to check. When installing Apt (or Aptitude) would populate /bin, /boot, /etc, /lib, /lib64, /sbin, /usr and /var and create empty directories /dev, /home, /media, /mnt, /opt, /proc, /root, /run, /srv, /sys, /tmp. (They are empty until you boot the installed system.)

Then, I downloaded the debian-8.2.0-amd64-CD-1.iso. Everything inside the iso is the same, except for the contents of the directory pool (561.2MB).

Here, Debian is an installer with a repo inside the CD. A Live iso, on th eother hand is a system, where the directories /bin, /boot, /etc, /lib, /lib64, /sbin, /usr and /var are already populated. 

What I don't understand is why the dos/window executables such as setup.exe, loadlin.exe, install.bat and win32-loader.ini should be in a Debian CD/DVD.

If you look inside the Arch iso, you'd find a part of root's filesystem already populated, such as /boot, /etc, /usr and /var and also with empty directories /bin, /lib, /lib64, /sbin (just links) and /dev, /home, /mnt, /opt, /proc, /root, /run, /srv, /sys and /tmp. It is also an installer with Pacman instead of Apt, that's create and configure the user's system.

Inside_Debian_CD1.jpg

Last edited by nobody0 (2015-11-27 19:45:36)

#12 2015-11-27 23:05:45

hhh
Meep!
Website

ostrolek wrote:

What I don't understand is why the dos/window executables such as setup.exe, loadlin.exe, install.bat and win32-loader.ini should be in a Debian CD/DVD.

Something to do with certain instances of launching the installer from a legacy Windows system, I think. Do a web search for loadlin and win32-loader.

https://wiki.debian.org/LennyIllustrate … n32-loader

#13 2015-11-28 11:02:41

nobody0
Disabled account

hhh wrote:
ostrolek wrote:

Something to do with certain instances of launching the installer from a legacy Windows system, I think. Do a web search for loadlin and win32-loader.

https://wiki.debian.org/LennyIllustrate … n32-loader

WinXP is dead a long time, Lenny too. These (Windows) files must be leftovers. Even in those days, it was the same; Debian was an installer with a small repo of deb files in the CD. lenny only had a very small repo, just enough for a netinstall. 
Lenny.jpg
Actually, I got the idea of installing a Debian-based live distro this way from Arch and Gentoo installing process. Fedora, Mageia, Puppy, Sabayon, Ubuntu (and derivatives) etc come as live isos, so can be installed this way. What has to be configured for the user is the host  name, user name, user (root) password, fstab, local time, additionally maybe install grub. It doesn't really matter, which one is the package manager or the extension of the files (.deb, .rpm)

#14 2015-11-28 11:57:07

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

ostrolek wrote:

If you look inside the Arch iso, you'd find a part of root's filesystem already populated, such as /boot, /etc, /usr and /var and also with empty directories /bin, /lib, /lib64, /sbin (just links) and /dev, /home, /mnt, /opt, /proc, /root, /run, /srv, /sys and /tmp. It is also an installer with Pacman instead of Apt, that's create and configure the user's system.

The Arch live ISO uses overlayfs so is structured differently to the Debian ISO images.

EDIT: It may interest you to know that your method is the recommend technique if installing DragonFlyBSD -- the installer simply copies the filesystem tree over and offers you an option to perform this step manually.

Also, debootstrap(8) does this but downloads the filesystem tree and packages from a mirror so that it is all up to date.

Have a look at the script wink

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-11-28 12:03:18)

#15 2015-11-28 13:12:27

nobody0
Disabled account

^ Thanks, I'd look in DragonFlyBSD. I think, at the beginning, Linux distros were installed this way. The installer is an interesting app, whatever the distro/OS.

About Arch; inside the Arch iso, there are two airoot.sfs, one for 32bit an done for 64bit. You choose one and unsquashfs it, and you have the base file-system.
Arch64.jpg
Then, you use the Arch commands to install the rest to that system. In arch-chroot, you install Openbox, then configure the user's system, menu, wallpapers, themes, fonts etc. Of course, you can install Arch in the usual way.

As I am using Debian-based distro as my main system, I do update-grub and get my Arch system to boot. After tweaking, I might want to put it into another computer. This is (OP) the best way to move the system to another comp/partition. There I can change host  name, user name, user (root) password, fstab, local time, or even instal grub. Maybe, if I'd find way to install Manjaro's installers and get them working, I might have a live iso for my Arch system.

Architect is an installer for Arch, but comes only in 64bit version, and once installed is an Arch system and a rolling one. Manjaro comes in many versions and flavours, but isn't a rolling one. I am not trying to make a Arch live iso, but installing Arch was fun. Once, Arch is installed, all you have to do is upgrade it once in few days.

#16 2015-11-28 20:20:06

nobody0
Disabled account

HoaS, I found another distro that installs more or less like this; http://kwort.org/pmwiki.php?n=Main.InstallDocumentation

#17 2015-11-29 12:45:19

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Ha, that's funny -- I installed CRUX a few days ago.

Great distribution smile

#18 2015-11-29 13:58:39

nobody0
Disabled account

^ I haven't installed Crux before, but I am going to. It is installed through chroot. Downloading.
What is the DE/WM did you install in it?

#19 2015-12-05 18:03:55

nobody0
Disabled account

Yesterday, I downloaded debian-live-8.2.0-amd64-cinnamon-desktop+nonfree.iso by torrent. Unsquashing and installing (copy & paste) took about 15 mins. Uninstalled live-boot and relevant apps (not needed here) and reinstalled lightdm, and unmarked greeter-hide-users=false in etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf, so I don't have to keep writing the user name every time I log in. Once, I add few apps, I'd squash it back, add isolinux and try to create a live iso.

There was only 4 peers and no leechers when I downloaded it. I left it for seeding for next 4 hours, not no one appeared to be interested. Today, I am downloading the MATE version by torrent. Only 5 peers are there and no leechers, meaning no uploading while downloading. I'd leave it for seeding until midnight.

Board footer