You are not logged in.

#26 2019-09-10 02:17:01

vasa1

Re: Is it it possible to install multiple window managers?

DeepDayze wrote:

Basically picking the right WM for your workflow is a good thing and there's lots of choices from the real lightweight ones to the heavyweights like KDE and GNOME.

I'm nit-picking here but it's "KWin" as opposed to "KDE" and KWin can be installed separately (of course with numerous dependencies) in a system other than KDE Plasma. On the other hand, GNOME's wm (mutter?) seems to be baked into GNOME or gnome-shell or whatever) much like the Adwaita gtk theme.

IIRC, the LXQt people were in talks with the KWin people to reduce the number of KWin's dependencies so that LXQt could use KWin instead of Openbox given that Wayland is somewhere in the future. But I think the LXQt team has decided to stay with Openbox in the short term and then move to something else (Sway?).

Using the Openbox (3.5.2) session of Lubuntu 14.04 LTS but very interested in BL :)

#27 2019-09-10 02:26:58

johnraff
nullglob
Website

vasa1 wrote:

IIRC, the LXQt people were in talks with the KWin people to reduce the number of KWin's dependencies so that LXQt could use KWin instead of Openbox given that Wayland is somewhere in the future.

That would have been a very interesting example for us at BL too. Pity if it didn't work out.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#28 2019-09-10 13:13:07

smitty_vanilli

@DeepDayze: It seems the way I prefer to go is lightweight and it looks like a lot of people seem to like i3 most from the following Reddit link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions … ht_window/

A post there mentions it as a "gateway drug" to other WMs and it makes me wonder about that user! I don't respect any illegal drugs, but I understand he / she was using a terminology and I would rather say it is simply a "gateway" to other WMs, however some people just stick with i3 period it seems (i.e. or i3 along with other technologies). And I believe it simply has great documentation.

@brontosaurusrex: Programming, if you're good with logic, is not too hard and mostly takes time and desire to learn! Well, I say that haven taken a programming course. I could of easily read books on the programming materials and asked the questions online, if I had known later, however I also "have a piece of paper" for proof. Yipee! *laughs*

@MALsPa: Thanks for the clarification!

Are tiling window managers the most lightweight out of them all? Here is a list I've found that has quite some nice screenshots and descriptions of the WMs (i.e. Keeping in mind that best is always relative to that person's viewpoint):
https://www.tecmint.com/best-tiling-win … for-linux/

I suppose many of the screenshots are for those who prefer command line workflow. What you don't see is their workspace setups! The might have some workspaces that have their web browser / gui setups.

Also, has anyone worked in QTile before?

Last edited by smitty_vanilli (2019-09-10 13:17:38)

#29 2019-09-10 13:47:09

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Are tiling window managers the most lightweight out of them all?

Not necessarily; if you run a status bar with a lot of widgets (or conky) the memory use can be similar to a lightweight wm like openbox. But out of the box they tend to be lighter on resources.

Also, has anyone worked in QTile before?

Yes, it's pretty nice - but note the memory use in that screen shot; not the lightest on resources of tiling wm's. If you know python, you can get some really nice setups.

Note in your link, jwm is not a tiling window manager, and tmux is a terminal multiplexser. So tmux only works in the terminal running tmux and won't imapct any other open windows. I think tilix is the same way.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#30 2019-09-10 14:00:44

bigbenaugust

For non-tiling, I am a big fan of jwm. It uses a single config file, has its own taskbar, and is more straightforward than some.

--Ben
BL / MX / Raspbian... and a whole bunch of RHEL boxes. :)

#31 2019-09-10 16:16:25

damo
....moderator....

FWIW you can set up Openbox to tile windows using keybinds and/or scripting.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#32 2019-09-10 18:36:56

ohnonot
...again
Website

damo wrote:

For example, this makes for some interesting reading: Windowmanagers - a slow marathon with breaks

I started that a while ago.
Then my server crashed and only three of the four articles survived.
Plus the general introduction, which might actually answer one of your questions from post #1: HOW do you keep several WMs installed, and use them: that script snippet.
I am unlikely to continue the "slow marathon" anytime soon - there always seems to be something more important to do - like fiddling with gkrellm2 glasses

#33 2019-09-10 21:24:28

MALsPa

smitty_vanilli wrote:

Off topic, multiple windows managers are something I would love to experience and learn, including many tiling window managers. *smiles*

Just dive in, you'll be fine.

#34 2019-09-12 17:48:15

ohnonot
...again
Website

BTW, blackbox just got an update yikes
https://github.com/bbidulock/blackboxwm

#35 2019-09-12 18:40:54

DeepDayze

bigbenaugust wrote:

For non-tiling, I am a big fan of jwm. It uses a single config file, has its own taskbar, and is more straightforward than some.

Yes the jwm config file is pretty straightforward and easy to manage. Only thing is that JWM doesn't really handle transparency very well. Even getting tint2 and conky to work with it was a bt of a pain.

For simple use cases JWM is nice.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2019-09-12 18:41:48)

Real Men Use Linux

#36 2019-09-12 18:45:13

bigbenaugust

DeepDayze wrote:
bigbenaugust wrote:

Yes the jwm config file is pretty straightforward and easy to manage. Only thing is that JWM doesn't really handle transparency very well. Even getting tint2 and conky to work with it was a bt of a pain.

For simple use cases JWM is nice.

Yes, I went from JWM to Awesome when I realized I wanted insta-tiling of terminal windows. But Awesome is not 100% EWMH compliant, IIRC, so one does run into a little weirdness now and then, but it's minimal.

--Ben
BL / MX / Raspbian... and a whole bunch of RHEL boxes. :)

#37 2019-09-14 08:14:26

ohnonot
...again
Website

DeepDayze wrote:

Does JWM manage the desktop?
Or how exactly does it not handle transparency very well? You mean compositing? That's not required for conky & tint2.

Board footer