You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-08 17:16:23

smitty_vanilli

Is it it possible to install multiple window managers?

There are many things I've read and seen online about Bunsenlabs Linux and I'm a new user. What I would like to know, is if it is possible to install multiple window managers, such as in the following link:

Best 20 Linux Window Managers: A Comprehensive List for Linux Users
(Warning: This links generally gives notifications popups)
https://www.ubuntupit.com/best-20-linux … nux-users/

Off topic, multiple windows managers are something I would love to experience and learn, including many tiling window managers. *smiles*

#2 2019-09-08 20:30:45

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Re: Is it it possible to install multiple window managers?

Yes, you can use apt to install additional window managers.

You can then select a window manager from the lightdm login screen.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#3 2019-09-08 20:56:01

MALsPa

I've done so many, many times. For example, I'm typing from Openbox, and this system also has Fluxbox installed.

#4 2019-09-09 05:50:48

smitty_vanilli

Thanks so much for your posts.

I've seen many screenshots on many different kinds of window managers and I love what I see (i.e. compared to full DEs).

@MALsPa I'll definitely have to try Flubox! Is there anything else that works well with OpenBox starting out?

I was almost going to go with an Arch based distro, however I realized stability is a must, for me. Additionally, I have made good friends by networking with some in the Arch based distro community. One of them stated thus, "So to sum up - from easy to hard - openbox - i3 - herbstluftwm - dwm - bspwm - awesome - xmonad."

Having said that, I wonder what skill level these other WMs in the article previously mentioned are (i.e. beginner, intermediate, or advanced). Have anyone experienced other WMs and how hard and difficult the learning was? Or, even easy!

In fact, I've found the following article, which I believe has all of the WMs:
https://www.gilesorr.com/wm/table.html

Last edited by smitty_vanilli (2019-09-09 06:02:38)

#5 2019-09-09 11:06:30

damo
....moderator....

I suggest you do a forum search, which should throw up threads on various WM's - gotchas, tweaks, impressions etc.

For example, this makes for some interesting reading: Windowmanagers - a slow marathon with breaks

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#6 2019-09-09 12:53:19

DeepDayze

MALsPa wrote:

I've done so many, many times. For example, I'm typing from Openbox, and this system also has Fluxbox installed.

Yep I have both Flux and OB installed and no issues. However having KDE and OB do cause a few conflicts especially with autostart apps. I have to sort of mask which apps can run only in KDE or only in OB.

Real Men Use Linux

#7 2019-09-09 13:21:50

bigbenaugust

The question is "why on earth would you install just one window manager when there are probably hundreds in the Debian repos?"

--Ben
BL / MX / Raspbian... and a whole bunch of RHEL boxes. :)

#8 2019-09-09 14:09:45

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

smitty_vanilli wrote:

In fact, I've found the following article, which I believe has all of the WMs:
https://www.gilesorr.com/wm/table.html

Most of those are dead projects. You should be able to use apt to search the window managers available to you in Debian stable.

I think, something like:

apt-cache search "window manager"

should show them; hopefully, a Debian user will correct that if it's wrong.

It's easy enough to learn a new window manager. Openbox, fluxbox, and fvwm all have good mouse and keybinding control. Tiling window managers like i3, dwm, and bspwm are more keyboard centric and take some getting use to.

The main hurdle is usually the configuration files - Awesome, Xmonad, and herbstluftwm have pretty complicated configuration files that use lua or haskel syntax.

-- yoda

#9 2019-09-09 14:35:21

smitty_vanilli

I WOULD install this no problem and would be grateful to. However, the only thing now is...this is based on old Debian Sketch? In other words, I understand Debian is now on version 10. Debian Sketch was version 9. So, that means the packages are not up to date? If my memory serves me well, Debian updates their versions every year, or at least used to be!

My thoughts about this distro being old could be wrong! I have known to be wrong about things, based on things I read. One has to take a "grain of salt" when reading online. There are falsities about things spread everywhere out there!

However, I believe Distrotube created a video when he was reviewing Helium Beta and stated that that the packages may be out of date and was one of the things he noted. I didn't understand why he would test something beta when it could potentially have bugs, although I do know he tends to like bleeding edge software and loves Arch. And having been on another forum based on Arch, someone doesn't prefer him. For me, I am just learning these things, which I have always been on full DEs and liking WMs, especially tiling WMs.

Update: I want to respond to some other posts and I appreciate your responses as that helps me learn about these things when I start using these tools.

@fluxbox: I should tell you I have used KDE many times, so I understand your reference! I'm trying to go towards minimalism in both DEs and WMs. And it's not because I have old hardware!

@bigbenaugust: Then, once I know this distro is "for me", I will be definitely be trying more. Thanks for the comment! I imagine there can be some that will stick to using one thing that they know well and others that will also want to be productive and try different things to see what works best, including other WMs. In the end, if it makes you more productive, I am all for it!

@PackRat: Thanks for letting me know that. It made me wonder if these are all WMs, even obsolete ones. For example, I believe Blackbox can be replaced by Openbox, if my understanding is correct.

One other thing is that I'm becoming more of a VIM user, which means I'm becoming more "keyboard centric" in my workflow. Perhaps I should have mentioned that earlier, as well. And I have found the following discussion on Reddit interesting concerning keyboard centric WMs:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments … _managers/

However, can one have the same productiveness, such as in OpenBox as in Tiling based WMs, such as if I were to learn my way up to XMonad? By the way, I've read it can be sweet once you master this WM! However, it is hard due to much lack of documentation. I believe it's why many stick with something like i3!

Off topic, after I master VIM, I will be mastering EMACS!

Last edited by smitty_vanilli (2019-09-09 15:06:44)

#10 2019-09-09 14:59:45

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

From my limited experience with tilers and Debian
- fork you want is never in repos (i3 gaps I want for example)
- configuration is done at compile stage, one could install builsdeps from repo, but take the wm from upstream git (dwm).
- there was 3rd, but got dev nulled.

#11 2019-09-09 15:16:55

bigbenaugust

You don't even want to know mow much of my 21 years with Linux I have spent horsing around with window managers and how shocked I am that I've been using Awesome for about a year and a half.

--Ben

#12 2019-09-09 15:19:56

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

@PackRat: Thanks for letting me know that. It made me wonder if these are all WMs, even obsolete ones. For example, I believe Blackbox can be replaced by Openbox, if my understanding is correct.

Both Openbox and Fluxbox were forked from the last stable release of Blackbox; you can install all 3 if you want.

-- yoda

#13 2019-09-09 16:07:46

smitty_vanilli

@brontosaurusrex: I'm sorry...what is "dev nulled"? Google is not friendly in this case (i.e. through a Google search on that)! Are you saying that compilation would need to be done  ot install something like i3?

@bigbenaugust: 21 years is a lot for experience! How has Awesome been for you, compared to trying out all of those others? I've seen some beautiful screenshots made on this WM.

@PackRat: I may just do that! I would imagine Blackbox is even more minimal out of the 3.

#14 2019-09-09 16:13:04

bigbenaugust

The thing I like about Awesome is that it can function as a tiling WM or a floating WM on different desktops/screens/workspaces. That's handy when I have desktops full of terminals and desktops full of non-terminal windows.

I haven't made too many changes from Debian's default config, just a font change and menus and autostarting some things.

--Ben

#15 2019-09-09 17:18:05

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

smitty_vanilli wrote:

@brontosaurusrex: I'm sorry...what is "dev nulled"? Google is not friendly in this case (i.e. through a Google search on that)! Are you saying that compilation would need to be done  ot install something like i3?

No,  I'am saying that dwm is configured prior to compilation, so one needs source code anyway, so why not take the latest stable from upstream, instead of repos. Anyway you will understand once you read a guide or two on dwm.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dwm#Configuration

dev nulled is I guess a new term born in this thread, meaning to send something to /dev/null.

echo "helllllooooo" > /dev/null

p.s. In this case it was lost thought that ended there.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2019-09-09 17:53:58)

#16 2019-09-09 17:41:51

MALsPa

Some kinda random thoughts:

What really helped me most with Fluxbox was its manpage. For anyone who's interested in that WM, I'd definitely suggest taking advantage of man fluxbox.

I'm not much for tiling WMs, but I did spend quite a bit of time with AwesomeWM. Loved it!

With Openbox and Fluxbox, I like to save and reuse the config files. Makes a fresh setup rather painless. And I'll take advantage of others' config files -- as you've likely seen, folks have posted theirs online. I've copied CrunchBang's and BunsenLabs' config files to work from, too. Working from CrunchBang's config files helped me a lot with figuring out how to set up my own Openbox desktop in Debian.

I like using the tint2 panel in Openbox, and now I've started using it in Fluxbox as well...

Any of the WMs I've tried, seems to me that "productivity" is one of the main advantages (whether you like to use the keyboard or the mouse more), because there are so many ways to configure things to taste, to fit your desired workflow.

#17 2019-09-09 17:43:19

smitty_vanilli

@bigbenaugust: That's interesting and helpful to know. I also heard great things about Awesome. Have you used any LUA scripting with it?

@brontosaurusrex: My apologies for the typos! And yes DWM was one of DistroTube's favorite WM. He has reviewed quite a bit of tiling Window Managers, with Awewome being one of them. DWM is in the list that I would like to experience and learn, eventually, myself.

@MALsPa: That seems to be the "name of the game" here. This is why I became more of a minimalist and I don't understand why some distros that features minimalism assume that is only for old computers and so on. It may take a couple of WMs down, however I will get to learn and use awesomewm. I assume they call it that, because it is simply "awesome"! How does Tint2 compare to something like Conky?

Upon my discovery, for i3wm, there is a distro that features it entitled "WattOS":
http://planetwatt.com/new/index.php/about/

However, the community of this distro seem to be lacking, from what I see from the "breathing period" of posts. Since it is based on Ubuntu, however, it may be a more up-to-date distro if one wants to start with i3.

Last edited by smitty_vanilli (2019-09-09 17:51:05)

#18 2019-09-09 18:10:18

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Anyway, the shortest possible dwm quide:

- sudo apt install dwm
- logout of openbox
- login to dwm
- realize you don't know any shortcuts
- logout with [Shift]+[Alt]+[q]

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2019-09-09 18:34:22)

#19 2019-09-09 18:12:30

bigbenaugust

I have not done any Lua scripting with Awesome. I just found a happy place messing with the Debian default config and kept it. smile

Oh yeah, I threw it in GitHub: https://github.com/bigbenaugust/awesomewm_config

Last edited by bigbenaugust (2019-09-09 18:17:38)

--Ben

#20 2019-09-09 18:30:45

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Slightly ot, I'd love to see openbox compatible version of this: https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/ … fancyzones

#21 2019-09-09 19:15:38

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

MALsPA wrote:

What really helped me most with Fluxbox was its manpage. For anyone who's interested in that WM, I'd definitely suggest taking advantage of man fluxbox.

Fluxbox has several man pages (fluxbox-keys, fluxbox-apps ...) they are listed at the end of the main fluxbox man page; all worth a read.

Last edited by PackRat (2019-09-09 19:16:43)

-- yoda

#22 2019-09-09 19:30:28

smitty_vanilli

@brontosaurusrex: Shortcuts for DWM? I've found shortcuts here:
https://gist.github.com/elgast/d3cc412c1042c9e65dde

and here:
https://dwm.suckless.org/tutorial/

as well as their main site about DWM:
https://dwm.suckless.org/

and even one with a pretty good commentary:
https://ratfactor.com/slackware/dwm/

@bigbenaugust: I will definitely bookmark this and check your config out when I start learning it!

@brontosaurusrex: If you know how to develop WMs, I would say start a project!

About developing window managers (a bit dated, but I feel it's still relevant):
https://jichu4n.com/posts/how-x-window- … ne-part-i/
https://jichu4n.com/posts/how-x-window- … e-part-ii/
https://jichu4n.com/posts/how-x-window- … -part-iii/

About someone's experience writing a WM:
https://www.uninformativ.de/blog/postin … NG-en.html

I love the option of all these WMs and how Linux gives you choices. For some, they may get overwhelmed if introduced as a newbie. However, for those hungry and wanting productivity, I think WMs can work better for workflow if you learn how they work and that's just my opinion!

Last edited by smitty_vanilli (2019-09-09 19:40:43)

#23 2019-09-09 20:23:46

DeepDayze

Basically picking the right WM for your workflow is a good thing and there's lots of choices from the real lightweight ones to the heavyweights like KDE and GNOME.

Real Men Use Linux

#24 2019-09-09 20:25:15

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

@smitty_vanilli; bookmarked, looks like an interesting read. (Of course I'am not even remotely capable of such endeavor.)

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2019-09-09 20:31:33)

#25 2019-09-09 20:48:06

MALsPa

smitty_vanilli wrote:

How does Tint2 compare to something like Conky?

tint2 is a panel, conky is not.

Board footer