You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-08 15:20:37

msoutopico

Unable to open session after VM resizing

Dear all,

I have Bunsenlabs installed in a virtual machine with VirtualBox 6.0.

I noticed the command line wasn't working properly (auto-complete commands didn't work) and I noticed the disk was full. So I've resized the virtual machine, from 10GB to 20GB.

Now I can't log in anymore to the graphical session. When I enter my password on the login page, I comes back to the same login page.

It's as if my password was suddenly wrong...

I can nonetheless log in on the command line (tty), so I guess something has been damaged that the graphical session needs to use...

I have tried creating another sudo user, but the same thing happens. I can use the command line, but not access the normal session.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Cheers, Manuel

Last edited by msoutopico (2019-09-08 15:36:47)

#2 2019-09-08 16:57:10

msoutopico

Re: Unable to open session after VM resizing

I can answer myself -)

It seems the resizing on VirtualBox didn't fix the space issue, because on the command line I still got the "cannot create temp file for here-document: No space left on device" message.

It looks like this was more a question for the VirtualBox forums... I would have got this in any other distro.

Resizing the VM machine wasn't enough, I also had to add a GParted ISO as a new optical drive and then resize the partition from the live session. It seems sorted now...

Except that now every time I boot there's a "start job" that runs for 1 minute and a half. I will check in the VB forums about that.

Thanks.

Cheers, Manuel

#3 2019-09-08 23:17:47

msoutopico

Hi there again!

In the end, it seems the "start job" problem is not related to VirtualBox. I could fix it, and I'm reporting here for the record.

During the resize, the swap partition prevented enlarging the /dev/sda1 primary partition, so I had to delete it, then enlarged the main partition up to all the new disk size except the last 2GB, where I recreated again an extended partition /dev/sed2, where I created the swap partition /dev/sda5, just a bit bigger (proportional to the new size of the virtual machine).

Then the X session started fine, the space issue seemed fixed and I can log in with my user, but I got this "start job" that delayed the reboot 1 minute and a half, every time (see screenshot and the summary below).

See a screenshot https://i.imgur.com/BegKCxZ.png

or a summary here:

Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device 
/dev/sda1: clean, ... files, ... blocks 
[ ...  ] [drm:vmw_host_log [vmwgfx]] *ERROR* Failed to send log 
[ *** ] A start job is running for dev-disk-by\x2duui...9a40\x2d56839306eb28.device (x s / 1min 30s)

It seems it couldn't find the new swap partition. This is what I did to fix it:

sudo blkid

to check the UUID of the new swap partition. Then I used that value to update file "/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume". Then ran

sudo update-initramfs -u

I also updated it in "/etc/fstab".

After all that the issue is gone. Now I always see "0 used out of 1.95 GB of swap", I guess (hope!) that's okay.

Cheers, Manuel

#4 2019-09-09 11:22:33

damo
....moderator....

If you change the swap partition it will have a new UUID, so the one in your fstab will now be wrong - this leads to the "start job" issue. As you discovered... wink

Whenever I install an iso to a partition, I manually go through the fstabs on the other installs, and correct the swap UUID's.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#5 2019-09-10 01:37:49

johnraff
nullglob
Website

damo wrote:

Whenever I install an iso to a partition, I manually go through the fstabs on the other installs, and correct the swap UUID's.

If you're installing from the Debian Installer, an alternative is just not to choose to make a swap partition when asked. You get warnings, but the installed system seems to recognize and use your existing swap, with it's pre-existing UUID.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#6 2019-09-10 22:13:39

eight.bit.al
Website

damo wrote:

If you change the swap partition it will have a new UUID, so the one in your fstab will now be wrong - this leads to the "start job" issue. As you discovered... wink

As you said, it gets rid of the start job. I still had a error in dmesg, wrong UUID for hibernation.  Found it in grub.cfg:

inux    /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=0c6e9ac6-3d4d-4231-9e26-5b965b6a8c10 rw  quiet resume=UUID=3134a534-25b9-4ea8-b6e0-af9b09d5a719

Corrected the UUID and all is well In case someone else needs the info.

-EDIT- This in from the partition containing Arch Linux, in case it matters.

8bit

"Talent does what it can., genius does what it must." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton (1803 - 1873)

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2019-09-10 22:24:39)

Board footer