You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-08 15:20:37

msoutopico

Unable to open session after VM resizing

Dear all,

I have Bunsenlabs installed in a virtual machine with VirtualBox 6.0.

I noticed the command line wasn't working properly (auto-complete commands didn't work) and I noticed the disk was full. So I've resized the virtual machine, from 10GB to 20GB.

Now I can't log in anymore to the graphical session. When I enter my password on the login page, I comes back to the same login page.

It's as if my password was suddenly wrong...

I can nonetheless log in on the command line (tty), so I guess something has been damaged that the graphical session needs to use...

I have tried creating another sudo user, but the same thing happens. I can use the command line, but not access the normal session.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Cheers, Manuel

Last edited by msoutopico (2019-09-08 15:36:47)

#2 2019-09-08 16:57:10

msoutopico

Re: Unable to open session after VM resizing

I can answer myself -)

It seems the resizing on VirtualBox didn't fix the space issue, because on the command line I still got the "cannot create temp file for here-document: No space left on device" message.

It looks like this was more a question for the VirtualBox forums... I would have got this in any other distro.

Resizing the VM machine wasn't enough, I also had to add a GParted ISO as a new optical drive and then resize the partition from the live session. It seems sorted now...

Except that now every time I boot there's a "start job" that runs for 1 minute and a half. I will check in the VB forums about that.

Thanks.

Cheers, Manuel

#3 2019-09-08 23:17:47

msoutopico

Hi there again!

In the end, it seems the "start job" problem is not related to VirtualBox. I could fix it, and I'm reporting here for the record.

During the resize, the swap partition prevented enlarging the /dev/sda1 primary partition, so I had to delete it, then enlarged the main partition up to all the new disk size except the last 2GB, where I recreated again an extended partition /dev/sed2, where I created the swap partition /dev/sda5, just a bit bigger (proportional to the new size of the virtual machine).

Then the X session started fine, the space issue seemed fixed and I can log in with my user, but I got this "start job" that delayed the reboot 1 minute and a half, every time (see screenshot and the summary below).

See a screenshot https://i.imgur.com/BegKCxZ.png

or a summary here:

Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device 
/dev/sda1: clean, ... files, ... blocks 
[ ...  ] [drm:vmw_host_log [vmwgfx]] *ERROR* Failed to send log 
[ *** ] A start job is running for dev-disk-by\x2duui...9a40\x2d56839306eb28.device (x s / 1min 30s)

It seems it couldn't find the new swap partition. This is what I did to fix it:

sudo blkid

to check the UUID of the new swap partition. Then I used that value to update file "/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume". Then ran

sudo update-initramfs -u

I also updated it in "/etc/fstab".

After all that the issue is gone. Now I always see "0 used out of 1.95 GB of swap", I guess (hope!) that's okay.

Cheers, Manuel

#4 2019-09-09 11:22:33

damo
....moderator....

If you change the swap partition it will have a new UUID, so the one in your fstab will now be wrong - this leads to the "start job" issue. As you discovered... wink

Whenever I install an iso to a partition, I manually go through the fstabs on the other installs, and correct the swap UUID's.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#5 2019-09-10 01:37:49

johnraff
nullglob
Website

damo wrote:

Whenever I install an iso to a partition, I manually go through the fstabs on the other installs, and correct the swap UUID's.

If you're installing from the Debian Installer, an alternative is just not to choose to make a swap partition when asked. You get warnings, but the installed system seems to recognize and use your existing swap, with it's pre-existing UUID.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#6 2019-09-10 22:13:39

eight.bit.al

damo wrote:

If you change the swap partition it will have a new UUID, so the one in your fstab will now be wrong - this leads to the "start job" issue. As you discovered... wink

As you said, it gets rid of the start job. I still had a error in dmesg, wrong UUID for hibernation.  Found it in grub.cfg:

inux    /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=0c6e9ac6-3d4d-4231-9e26-5b965b6a8c10 rw  quiet resume=UUID=3134a534-25b9-4ea8-b6e0-af9b09d5a719

Corrected the UUID and all is well In case someone else needs the info.

-EDIT- This in from the partition containing Arch Linux, in case it matters.

8bit

"Talent does what it can., genius does what it must." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton (1803 - 1873)

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2019-09-10 22:24:39)

Computers don't grow, they accumulate.

Board footer