You are not logged in.

#51 2019-04-13 21:01:50

makarovnik

Re: Wallpaper change not save after login

Definately a bug. You'll also notice my command doesn't put the "X" over the thumbnails after they have been clicked like your script. It's either this bug or that one. I will ponder it, examine your script and see if there is a workaround.

For me it may be easier to use the custom actions I've added to Thunar. I created one for: set background centered, set background scaled, set background filled and set background tiled.

Just navigate to wallpaper directory right click on image and select appropriate custom action from drop down menu and done. Easy squeezie.

#52 2019-04-14 06:02:56

ohnonot
...again
Website

makarovnik wrote:

Definately a bug.

depends how you define "bug".
in both cases the behaviour appears to have been coded in on purpose, but isn't documented.
maybe the maintainer coded that in for a particular use case for themselves, i don't know.

#53 2019-04-15 00:39:23

makarovnik

If I were to use the term "bug" in the literal sense I suppose it would mean consequences or behavior the developer didn't plan or account for.

I would definately call it a bug when you start Feh in thumbnail mode, click on an image and it loads into a window titled "mywallpaper.png". Then if you right click on that image and under "file" and it still shows the file as being "mywallpaper.png", then click on set this file as background, it should set "mywallpaper.png" as the background.

But guess what? It doesn't. Instead it creates some randomly named file eg. FEBG_924071254869.png in the user directory and sets it as wallpaper instead. It wouldn't be so bad if that file was overwritten next time the wallpaper was changed but it doesn't. Feh just keeps adding files.

I would hope the developer was unaware of this behavior otherwise I would have to call it for lack of a nicer term, illogical. I don't have a way to reach out to the them directly but I can post a bug report on their website. Unless you really believe its not a bug.

As for the other issue; upon further investigation at around version 2.14 circa 2015 the developer added a function to place a blued out background with an "X" over a thumbnail if the action= option was used to process that thumbnail image. So that was done intentionally but, they should have allowed an option to turn that off.

Thanks for all your input. I learned alot. I may try to downgrade to an older version and see if it works better for me. For now I just avoid using thumnail mode because IMHO it just doesn't work the way it should.

#54 2019-04-15 06:13:22

makarovnik

For those of you still having problems with your background not sticking with nitrogen the solution is simple.

Trash or delete your ~/.config/nitrogen directory, then edit your openbox autostart file and change:

nitrogen --restore

to

# nitrogen --restore

Then put this this at the very end of the file:

nitrogen --restore &

Logout and back in then start nitrogen. Click preferences, icons with captions and add the folders to search for wallpapers.

Pick your wallpaper, set as background and you're good to go.

UPDATE: See my post #57 below

Last edited by makarovnik (2019-04-15 07:22:57)

#55 2019-04-15 06:22:05

hhh
Meep!
Website

makarovnik wrote:

For those of you still having problems with your background not sticking with nitrogen the solution is simple.

Trash or delete your ~/.config/nitrogen directory, then edit your openbox autostart file and change:

nitrogen --restore

to

# nitrogen --restore

Then put this this at the very end of the file:

nitrogen --restore &

Logout and back in then start nitrogen. Click preferences, icons with captions and add the folders to search for wallpapers.

Pick your wallpaper, set as background and you're good to go.

If this works for everyone maybe the moderator can mark it solved.

This is very good troubleshooting. When we were developing helium we made a real attack/hack on the autostart config to decide which commands needed to be forked to the background and which shouldn't. Definitely include the ampersand at the end of the command if in doubt, hopefully this is the fix and we'll just be guilty of being over-eager in our config. You can edit the entry where it is, you don't have to add it to the end, though that's as good a place as any I suppose.

## Set a wallpaper
nitrogen --restore &

#56 2019-04-15 06:45:38

makarovnik

Actually it worked for a few times in a row then inconsistent again. What i just tried was to change the modifier/option to: --restore without the ampersand and now it's survived three logouts in a row. If I have the problem again I will add the sleep command.

I already tried adding the ampersand early on and had more luck moving: nitrogen --restore to the end of the file. Not sure why that would help but maybe it's the sequence/timing of things being autostarted.

If I run nitrogen --restore from the terminal it seems to always work restoring the last used background so I think that's a clue.

When I had the problem initially with nitrogen not sticking, I found that whatever I changed the login screen background to was also what I got as a desktop background. Regardless if "use user wallpaper if available" was checked or not in lightDM.

#57 2019-04-15 07:07:05

makarovnik

Ok. ^ That worked sometimes but not good enough. This is my final try at fixing this. I decided that nitrogen does not like being started from the openbox autostart file.

I created this simple .desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Autostart nitrogen
Exec=nitrogen --restore &
# Icon=
Type=Application
Categories=Utility;
NoDisplay=true

Then I saved this in my ~/.config/autostart directory and commented out any run commands I had previously in the openbox autostart file. This is working consistently for me now.

Last edited by makarovnik (2019-04-15 18:29:12)

#58 2019-04-15 13:07:13

makarovnik

Now that I know ^ works, I'd rather not use a .desktop file to do this. I'd rather call the command or a script from ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, ~/.profile, /etc/rc.local or ~/.bashrc

In ~/.profile there is a comment that the file won't be read if ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login exists. So I don't want to mess up my system.

Or should I put it in /etc/cron.d ?

#59 2019-04-15 16:29:46

hhh
Meep!
Website

Try ~/.xsessionrc

#60 2019-04-15 18:01:00

makarovnik

The only way I have found nitrogen to restore background is via the .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart. It has worked consistently.

I'm running the the latest stable version so I might try the testing version if there is one. Otherwise I will stick with my workaround. Thanks for the help.

#61 2019-05-26 07:42:16

Huldalumi

i had the same problem i know this may be a little simple but sometimes it can get over looked but i went to the bunsunlabs web page instillation i read  For archived releases, click here clicked on it and downloaded helium build 2 installed it and now it just works

Last edited by Huldalumi (2019-05-26 09:50:12)

yeah,well, thats just like, your opinion man
The Dude

#62 2019-06-07 06:57:56

foyle

I seem to be having the issue with Nitrogen and wallpaper not saving as well.
Will there be a fix at all in the near future or is it a case of resorting to using the Feh option? Its not an option I want to use as Ive read in some posts that using Feh is not so straightforward?!

#63 2019-06-07 08:43:49

foyle

makarovnik wrote:

The only way I have found nitrogen to restore background is via the .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart. It has worked consistently.

I'm running the the latest stable version so I might try the testing version if there is one. Otherwise I will stick with my workaround. Thanks for the help.

makarovnik : Many thanks for sharing your knowledge.
I'm not so tech savvy with openbox scripts but I think I have managed to copy your .desktop script and put it into the .config/autostart. The only downside is whenever it starts up or logs  back in you have ok the wallpaper choice in Nitrogen box, or have i done it incorrectly?. I cant believe that for such a great distro like Helium there is no permanent fix to Nitrogen and the wallpaper error?!

Cheers for any help much appreciated

Last edited by foyle (2019-06-07 09:24:17)

#64 2019-06-08 05:15:21

hhh
Meep!
Website

This is a really annoying bug in Helium that we have made zero progress on, and one I have not encountered in our upcoming release, Lithium (fingers crossed!)

If nitrogen fails, feh is not difficult. See the following posts for a possible nitrogen fix...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 103#p72103

Full feh instructions...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 664#p82664

Last edited by hhh (2019-06-08 05:21:01)

#65 2019-06-09 05:23:28

foyle

hhh wrote:

This is a really annoying bug in Helium that we have made zero progress on, and one I have not encountered in our upcoming release, Lithium (fingers crossed!)

If nitrogen fails, feh is not difficult. See the following posts for a possible nitrogen fix...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 103#p72103

Full feh instructions...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 664#p82664

hhh many thanks for the reply and links. After reading in full the first link again I think its produce a fix of sorts. I went to the bg-saved.cfg file and deleted the 0.0 entry and moved the xin_-1 entry to the top. Also deleted and moved the entry for wallpaper in the autostart script as the last entry with

## Set a wallpaper
nitrogen --restore && sleep 2

I've changed,rebooted and logged out several times now and each time the wallpaper choice stays the same and does not revert back to anything else, so fingers crossed for the moment its seems like a stable fix?!

Last edited by foyle (2019-06-09 05:24:55)

#66 2019-06-09 06:16:49

hhh
Meep!
Website

We'll call it a workaround for now. big_smile Thanks for posting back, nice troubleshooting!

Bookmarked for when we release Lithium test ISOs. Fixing this on Helium is not a priority for us at the moment, in my opinion.

#67 2019-06-09 15:05:26

foyle

Im happy with Helium at the moment, nice smooth response from it in all aspects, a big learning curve for me personally as Ive never really gone into the realms of Openbox scripts.
cheers for the help in any case much appreciated. I must say Bunsenlabs one of the best distros Ive used as yet, awlays been a big fan of a Debian based distro but have used Elementary, Mint, and Mageia among others but BL is definitely among the best Ive used so far.

As I write this I have now booted for the tenth time and the wallpaper is still unchanged so fingers crossed the two configured entries I edited and used will be permanent fix! smile

Last edited by foyle (2019-06-09 15:06:28)

#68 2019-06-11 02:03:14

hhh
Meep!
Website

Nice, thanks for the update and the compliments!

#69 2019-06-22 03:37:10

Boxer

hhh wrote:

This ^^^^ method worked for me. Thanks, hhh.

#70 2019-06-22 06:57:51

hhh
Meep!
Website

It's the bulletproof method. Still no sign of this bug in my Lithium systems (our next release, based on buster), fingers crossed.

-edit- BTW, excellent use of quotes in a reply. Welcome to the forums!

Last edited by hhh (2019-06-22 06:59:22)

#71 2019-06-22 15:00:55

Boxer

Thank you! You're actually the reason that I decided to try BL: a certain quote, about a certain individual, involved in open source software. big_smile

-edit - When it's time to upgrade to Lithium, what will that entail? I'm also curious to see what's been added/removed.

Last edited by Boxer (2019-06-22 15:05:39)

#72 2019-08-16 02:57:44

steve.d621

I modified the openbox config autostart file to open Conky before Nitrogen.

~/.config/openbox/autostart

## Start the Conky session (the default conkyrc will run if no sessions have been set)
bl-conky-session --autostart &

## Set a wallpaper
## Moved this after the conky start command so that my last wallpaper choice
## would be restored.
nitrogen --restore

#73 2019-08-31 22:15:39

rm2

Moving the nitrogen command to be at the end of my autostart, i.e. after conky was the fix for me as well.

What is the fix for "new users"?   Where can I apply the same tweak such that the next user I create has this fix in place automatically?

Thanks!

#74 2019-08-31 23:56:47

hhh
Meep!
Website

You'll most likely have to edit the new user autostart with your fix.

We'll be releasing a lithiumn test ISO soon, probably in less than a month (don't hold me to that). This issue hasn't reared it's ugly head on lithium/buster yet, as far as I know, but we'll see.

Board footer