You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-23 09:52:05

flip

NetworkManager Applet Proxy settings for PDANet+

new to linux so my skill beyond a GUI is minimal.

I use PDANet+ for android to share my mobile data through WiFi Direct, outside the confines of T-Mobile's "mobile hotspot" limitations.

PDANet+ has apps for android and windows so they can transfer the packets back and forth and T-Mobile just thinks it is the PDANet android app using the data all by itself.

beyond the android and windows apps, usage requires setting the Proxy for the wireless connection to a PAC URL.

this method works on all my androids and windows, but i cant get it to work in BL.

while connected to the wireless network in question i put the PAC URL in the address bar in the browser and it downloaded the PAC script, but neither putting the PAC URL in the proxy settings or importing the PAC script from the file seem to want to give me data access.

perhaps the function in the script is not formatted correctly for debian? i have no clue.

maybe someone will come along that has experience with this scenario and can help.

this is the PAC script...

function FindProxyForURL(url, host){if (host=='192.168.49.1') return 'DIRECT';else return "PROXY 192.168.49.1:8000; DIRECT";}

#2 2019-06-23 14:39:03

clusterF

Re: NetworkManager Applet Proxy settings for PDANet+

Would the instructions from this website work i wonder?

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how- … t-to-linux

#3 2019-06-23 19:22:59

flip

clusterF wrote:

Would the instructions from this website work i wonder?

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how- … t-to-linux

im sorry, but no, those instructions are for bluetooth connection.

i am specifically working with the WiFi Direct Hotspot feature.

i should have mentioned that i have read nearly EVERY article online that has the words PDANet and Linux together.

#4 2019-06-23 23:12:05

hhh
Meep!
Website

Maybe try kdeconnect for wireless transfer between Android and BL?

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=5652

#5 2019-06-24 00:05:45

flip

hhh wrote:

Maybe try kdeconnect for wireless transfer between Android and BL?

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=5652

this looks interesting but from reading your post i am unclear if that would provide the same functionality as described in my post.

the purpose of PDANet's Wireless Direct Hotspot feature on the android device is to handle all of the internet traffic to and from the laptop over the WiFi Direct capabilities in the android device, not just create a normal wifi direct connection for only sending files.

#6 2019-06-24 00:36:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

This sounds like "tethering", where the smartphone provides a WIFI internet connection for other local devices. Right?

I've used an android smartphone for tethering over a usb line to the laptop with no limitations I was aware of, and wifi is also supposed to be supported out of the box by my device, with no need for extra apps to be installed. (What are the T-Mobile's "mobile hotspot" limitations?) Maybe try a net search on '<your device name> wifi tethering linux'?

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#7 2019-06-24 01:39:12

flip

johnraff wrote:

This sounds like "tethering", where the smartphone provides a WIFI internet connection for other local devices. Right?

right, i am tethering.
tethering is working just fine, no problem there.
the t-mobile unlimited high speed data plan DOES NOT include tethering, therefore i only get 0.70+- mbps, to be clear, that is LESS THAN 1 mbps, unless i pay t-mobile for their "Mobile Tethering" plan that gives me high speed but limits my monthly data cap.
t-mobile counts all traffic to other devices as "tethering" and throttles it.

what the PDANet android app does is mask the external device using the internet data and makes T-mobile think that the traffic is confined solely to the android app.

I do not know how to further explain this more than i already have, i hope this makes sense.

#8 2019-06-24 02:59:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Yes, that makes sense, but I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on how to work round T-mobile's limitations with linux devices.

However, a quick search on 'PDANet+ linux' shows some interesting results, so you might want to do some research there.

The top result is How Do I Get PdaNet to Connect to Linux? but it seems to be suggesting using bluetooth for the connection.

Last edited by johnraff (2019-06-24 03:01:10)

John
--------------------

#9 2019-06-24 03:00:23

flip

hahahaha

#10 2019-06-24 03:02:03

johnraff
nullglob
Website

eh? Have you already done all that research?

John
--------------------

#11 2019-06-24 03:05:21

flip

and then some.

#12 2019-06-24 03:12:45

flip

i think readers are focusing on the wrong part of my thread, the issue is using proxy settings in the NetworkManager Applet that comes pre-installed in the current version of BL.

or perhaps there are other network managers that could be installed in debian that might handle proxy settings better?

#13 2019-06-24 03:15:38

flip

johnraff wrote:

The top result is How Do I Get PdaNet to Connect to Linux? but it seems to be suggesting using bluetooth for the connection.

yeah, that is the same link that was pointed out to me in post #2 of this thread.

#14 2019-06-24 04:15:56

johnraff
nullglob
Website

flip wrote:

the issue is using proxy settings in the NetworkManager Applet

Surely the issue is for a linux computer to be able to use your android device as a network access point, while avoiding T-mobile's  tethering restrictions?

Does it matter exactly what method is used?
Not an XY problem?

I have never used T-mobile and my cellphone network provider imposes no tethering restrictions.

Maybe someone else with a personal interest in this topic will be able to help.

John
--------------------

#15 2019-06-24 04:26:54

flip

sorry, no, it is not an xy problem, my initial post stated x, and also stated y to give more context and maybe find alternatives to x that could result in y.

but the main issue i asked for help on was clearly getting the proxy settings to work.

#16 2019-06-24 06:26:31

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Why should you care about the proxy settings if your tethering worked?

But you seem to know what you want, so good luck!

John
--------------------

#17 2019-06-24 06:39:39

flip

johnraff wrote:

Why should you care about the proxy settings if your tethering worked?

without the proxy settings, the data goes through the regular tethering, which i stated is throttled to less than 1 mbps. so yes, technically my tethering is working, but at such slow speeds that it is nearly insufferable.

with the proxy settings the data goes through the android app that doesnt get throttled.

johnraff wrote:

But you seem to know what you want, so good luck!

im sorry if i rubbed you the wrong way, i did not mean to. it would seem as though i will need all the "good luck" i can get. thank you.

#18 2019-06-24 07:13:36

johnraff
nullglob
Website

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions … for_linux/
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Android_tethering

Are you obliged to use PDANet+? There do seem to be alternatives.

This guy at least was able to use the proxy IP 192.168.49.1 on Firefox:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqTw8M26-tk

But if you want it for the whole computer, all the time, then you'll have to do it in network-manager indeed.
Maybe the "Add a VPN connection" item?

BTW you are aware that using your phone as a wifi hotspot means heavy battery usage?

Sorry, I don't think I can help any more than this.

John
--------------------

#19 2019-06-24 07:35:21

flip

yeah, i tested in the Firefox proxy settings and it did work, but i sync cloud data (dropbox and google drive) with rclone so i was hoping to get it to work in NetworkManager for a more system wide setting and to only proxy when connected to this specific wireless network because my laptop connects to other wifi when i am not in my work vehicle.

all of the alternatives to PDANet+ (as far as android apps go) that i have tried only turn on the phone's regular built in hotspot feature and dont do what i need. i dont have the skill or knowledge to do it any other way.

i havent tried the VPN settings in NetworkManager, i will look into those and see if i can figure it out that way.

as for my poor phone's battery, i have been killing phone batteries for the past 10 years like this because while i am working my phone simultaneously performs...

-mobile hotspot
-gps navigation
-streaming online music to car stereo bluetooth
-all while wirelessly charging

my Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 went through 2 batteries each

my current phone does not have wireless charging so at least it doesnt get so hot.

thank you for taking time to try and help.

#20 2019-06-24 08:58:55

clusterF

flip wrote:
johnraff wrote:

right, i am tethering.
tethering is working just fine, no problem there.
the t-mobile unlimited high speed data plan DOES NOT include tethering, therefore i only get 0.70+- mbps, to be clear, that is LESS THAN 1 mbps, unless i pay t-mobile for their "Mobile Tethering" plan that gives me high speed but limits my monthly data cap.
t-mobile counts all traffic to other devices as "tethering" and throttles it.

what the PDANet android app does is mask the external device using the internet data and makes T-mobile think that the traffic is confined solely to the android app.

I do not know how to further explain this more than i already have, i hope this makes sense.

That is pretty cheeky of t-mobile making people pay to use there own mobile phones as ethernet modems or else get the speed throttled. I would be inclined to find another isp that doesnt have this in there clause.

Board footer