You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-06 00:45:49

hhh
That's it!
Website

(Unofficial) indicator-kdeconnect backport for lithium/buster

KDE Connect provides WiFi connection of an android device with a linux system, and indicator-kdeconnect provides a systray applet for it. I've backported the 64 bit Ubuntu xenial package (and the debug package) from the WebUpd8 PPA and am using it on my lithium/Openbox system...

https://github.com/hhhorb/lithium-backports

amd64 Installation Instructions, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK...

Install kdeconnect to your android device...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … p&hl=en_US

Download the deb (and the debug deb if you wish)

Install kdeconnect...

sudo apt install kdeconnect

Install the deb(s) via dpkg or Gdebi. dpkg example...

cd Downloads
sudo dpkg -i indicator-kdeconnect_0.9.4.1~webupd8~xenial0~bpo70+1_amd64.deb

If any errors are reported, try and fix them...

sudo apt -f install

Add indicator-kdeconnect to your Openbox autostart file...

indicator-kdeconnect &

Reboot. When your WiFi is active, turn your phone's screen on. That should activate the systray icon for kdeconnect on your computer. If not, open KDE Connect on your device, that should do it.

There is a very minimal config GUI, run indicator-kdeconnect-settings to see it. Enable "Browse all directories" and install dolphin with the --no-install-recommends switch to browse your android device. This is not required if you simply wish to transfer files from your android device to your computer, just open the app on the device and "Send files", they'll transfer to your Downloads folder.

Let me know if this works or if I messed the instructions up, please. smile If everything is OK, I'll go ahead and backport the i386 package(s).

scrot...

Screenshot_2019-03-05_19-58-08.md.png

Last edited by hhh (2019-03-06 00:57:22)

#2 2019-03-06 04:57:28

stevep
MX Linux Developer

Re: (Unofficial) indicator-kdeconnect backport for lithium/buster

Wow, that's quite a version string. I'd cut off the ~webupd8~xenial0~bpo70+1 stuff, which can only cause confusion.

#3 2019-03-06 06:48:04

hhh
That's it!
Website

Thanks for the advice! I'm still very tentative with version naming and dch. I'll truncate the name if we carry this package further than me just offering it unofficially.

#4 2019-03-06 20:56:43

stevep
MX Linux Developer

Yes, and webupd8 packaged it incorrectly as a native package, instead of correctly as "outside sourced", which most Debian packages are.  Let me know if you want to fix that--it's not too difficult.

#5 2019-03-06 21:33:41

hhh
That's it!
Website

If you have time to spare, I'd like that very much. smile

Could you put together a quick tutorial called something like "Packaging a buster backport" using this PPA as an example? I used my old instructions to package it and this dsc file...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=58

https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+arc … enial0.dsc

-edit- For my dch command I used...

dch --local ~bpo70+ --distribution buster-backports "Rebuild for buster-backports."

... and ignored the warning, which is why the original file name is still there in the package name.

-edit2- I forgot, building originally failed because of a dash in the filename, I had to change it to a period in the changelog for it to build. 0.9.4.1~webupd8~xenial0~bpo70+1 instead of 0.9.4-1

https://github.com/jamesdbloom/grunt-de … /issues/23

Huh, native v non-native is the issue. I require more information. big_smile

Last edited by hhh (2019-03-06 21:37:29)

#6 2019-03-07 01:57:17

johnraff
nullglob
Website

BTW this is to enable wireless transfer of files between an android device and a computer?
A USB cable works fine for me, but didn't use to a year ago, so different people with different hardware will no doubt have different needs.

Does indicator-kdeconnect bring in a lot of dependencies on a simple mostly-GTK setup like OOTB BL?

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#7 2019-03-07 02:14:46

hhh
That's it!
Website

johnraff wrote:

Does indicator-kdeconnect bring in a lot of dependencies on a simple mostly-GTK setup like OOTB BL?

Just a bunch of KDE libraries. If you have any disk space at all it's not worth worrying about, and the RAM usage of kde-connect is minimal. I find the convenience of it well worth the small overhead.

Board footer