You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-26 05:36:16

copper

Problem with sound

Hi!

I bought a new motherboard (Asus Prime A320m-k) so I re-installed Bunsenlabs Hydrogen. I plug the speakers into the analog green line-out/headphones jack but there is no sound, it seems the sound is going to the HDMI jack. I checked the setting in pavucontrol but there is no option to chose "analog output", it only lets me chose HDMI.

aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
aplay -L

null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Generic,DEV=3
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Generic,DEV=3
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Generic,DEV=3
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Generic,DEV=3
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
aplay --list-devices
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
lspci -v

07:00.6 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 15e3
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 86c7
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 93
	Memory at fe680000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

The old motherboard didn't have HD audio so I didn't have problems with analog speakers, but I am not sure what to do now. Thanks in advance big_smile

Last edited by copper (2019-05-26 05:37:03)

#2 2019-05-26 17:18:36

DeepDayze

Re: Problem with sound

it is recommended to update to Helium as Hydrogen has a rather old kernel, but if anyone has a similar board they got working with Hydrogen they should chime in.

Real Men Use Linux

#3 2019-05-26 18:10:47

copper

DeepDayze wrote:

it is recommended to update to Helium as Hydrogen has a rather old kernel, but if anyone has a similar board they got working with Hydrogen they should chime in.

Hello big_smile

I downloaded the Helium LiveCD to make a fresh installation but I had to reinstall Hydrogen due this:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=5833

#4 2019-05-26 18:13:09

DeepDayze

copper wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

Hello big_smile

I downloaded the Helium LiveCD to make a fresh installation but I had to reinstall Hydrogen due this:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=5833

Oh ok...I am sure there will be the gurus chiming in on that

Real Men Use Linux

#5 2019-05-26 20:27:36

twoion
ほやほや

After some googling I know that the board you have got has the Realtek ALC887 audio codec which a lot of people reported as non-working under the kernel of Debian Jessie (which is the base of Hydrogen). So you should definitely install Stretch/Helium.

Regarding the garbled framebuffer, this seems to be problem that comes from the kernel as well as the graphics stack not being up-to-date enough for Ryzen Vega, e.g. <https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment … n/dyn7nzz/>. Debian 9/BunsenLabs Helium only brings Mesa 13 while 17 oder newer (19 is current) seems to be required or recommended. You could get by by forcing the installer to somehow use VESA mode and after completing the install, immediately install updated kernels and graphics stack from debian-backports (where you can get Mesa 18) <https://packages.debian.org/search?suit … words=mesa>. This route (backports packages) would pretty much be the only way I think you can use your hardware in an OK way. With new stuff like this though, I'd almost recommend to upgrade at least to Debian Buster/Testing which johnraff has already prepared working BL packages for if you want to remain able to get the upcoming stable BL release packages, or upgrade all to Debian Unstable because honestly, new hardware profits exponentially more from improvements that are still arriving in new software versions. Alternatively, Ubuntu 19.04 or the recent Fedora or a rolling distro (like Arch Linux and derivatives) might be an option.

For example, I bought a new Thinkpad in Fall 2014 and it only ran well (powersaving, hardware aspects all working) after 12-24 months of Linux development. New mother boards are similarly tricky to get perfect support for in the Linux kernel, esp. if they're quirky, which the firmware probably more or less is to some degree.

Hopefully @johnraff or @hhh can tell you more on how to control the installer to go into VESA mode.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#6 2019-05-27 04:27:23

copper

twoion wrote:

After some googling I know that the board you have got has the Realtek ALC887 audio codec which a lot of people reported as non-working under the kernel of Debian Jessie (which is the base of Hydrogen). So you should definitely install Stretch/Helium.

Hi!

I am running a live session of Helium (LiveCD) and I am still having no sound. But I guess I should try again after an update and upgrade in a true installation of Helium. Anyway I will try with another distro (LiveCD) to ckeck if it works.

I started with Linux several years ago following this... Ubuntu > Crunchbang > Bunsenlabs... and I would like keeping Bunsen because I feel it very comfortable.

#7 2019-05-27 05:07:20

DeepDayze

Believe the stock install of Helium has the 4.9 kernel which may be way too old for the new hardware and you will need to get the latest kernel from stretch-backports which is 4.19.

Real Men Use Linux

#8 2019-05-27 07:05:05

twoion
ほやほや

copper wrote:
twoion wrote:

Hi!

I am running a live session of Helium (LiveCD) and I am still having no sound. But I guess I should try again after an update and upgrade in a true installation of Helium. Anyway I will try with another distro (LiveCD) to ckeck if it works.

I started with Linux several years ago following this... Ubuntu > Crunchbang > Bunsenlabs... and I would like keeping Bunsen because I feel it very comfortable.

I think I didn't write clearly enough: Even if you boot from the live medium, the kernel there will be too old. You'll have, in the live session in order to test, to enable the stretch-backports repository and from there install the latest available kernel (4.19) and the latest graphics stack (mesa 18). The out-of-the-box experience won't work very well.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#9 2019-05-27 17:41:53

copper

Thank you both!!!

#10 2019-06-02 00:29:15

copper

Hi again:

My old monitor died so I bought a new one with HDMI and sound output. Should this solve the problem or I still need to upgrade to Helium and the lastest kernel? Because pulseaudio still shows "HDMI/DisplayPort (unplugged)".

aplay -L
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Generic,DEV=3
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Generic,DEV=3
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Generic,DEV=3
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Generic,DEV=3
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
pacmd list-cards
1 card(s) available.
    index: 0
	name: <alsa_card.pci-0000_07_00.1>
	driver: <module-alsa-card.c>
	owner module: 6
	properties:
		alsa.card = "0"
		alsa.card_name = "HD-Audio Generic"
		alsa.long_card_name = "HD-Audio Generic at 0xfe688000 irq 92"
		alsa.driver_name = "snd_hda_intel"
		device.bus_path = "pci-0000:07:00.1"
		sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:07:00.1/sound/card0"
		device.bus = "pci"
		device.vendor.id = "1002"
		device.vendor.name = "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]"
		device.product.id = "15de"
		device.string = "0"
		device.description = "HD-Audio Generic"
		module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
		device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"
	profiles:
		output:hdmi-stereo: Estéreo Digital (HDMI) Output (priority 5400, available: unknown)
		off: Apagado (priority 0, available: unknown)
	active profile: <output:hdmi-stereo>
	sinks:
		alsa_output.pci-0000_07_00.1.hdmi-stereo/#0: HD-Audio Generic Estéreo Digital (HDMI)
	sources:
		alsa_output.pci-0000_07_00.1.hdmi-stereo.monitor/#0: Monitor of HD-Audio Generic Estéreo Digital (HDMI)
	ports:
		hdmi-output-0: HDMI / DisplayPort (priority 5900, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
			properties:
				device.icon_name = "video-display"

#11 2019-06-02 04:29:14

DeepDayze

Better still upgrade to Helium for the best experience. That's my recommendation.

Real Men Use Linux

#12 2019-06-12 20:39:39

copper

Hi again:

Ok... finally I could install Helium and I got the latest available kernel (4.19.0) and mesa 18 (I am not sure, how can I see which version is installed?). But I don't remember if I must install/update something else to get sound.

I am trying to get sound by HDMI.

full?d=1560371824

I am not sure if this information could help. When I open alsamixer, it shows by default:

Card: pulseaudio
Chip: pulseaudio
Item: master
The selected card is "default" (F6)

If I change the selected sound card to "0 HD-Audio Generic", it shows:

Card: HD-audio Generic
Chip: ATI R6xx HDMI
Item: S/PDIF
The bar of volume for S/PDIF shows "00"

Last edited by copper (2019-06-13 06:11:23)

Board footer