You are not logged in.

#51 2019-02-10 11:00:54

S7.L

Re: When will Linux be ready for mass adoption?

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

This further devolved into a systemd discussion?

If S7.L hadn't introduced the subject I wouldn't have been reminded & gone back to that comment regarding init, it's completely unrelated to the backup issue, well almost unrelated, init=/bin/bash would pretty much give you a quiet enough file system to back it up live.  Not that helpful for continuing your work at the same time though.

Re-introduce perhaps, i didnt realise twoion posted the same video i did!

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 039#p82039

Anyhow its worth a watch, it doesn't bash systemd, its rather a constructive criticism with many points saying to those who dont like it to at least take something away from it and learn from it as it is a complex piece of software that is in heavy use throughout the linux world.

#52 2019-02-10 11:25:57

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

I have watched as it goes, & no amount of persuasion, presentations, arguments etc. are going to cause me to like it, any more than they'll make me like avacados (taste like soap), & don't care if the chef did spend many hours carving them into sailing ships, or how dedicated & talented he's alleged to be, avacados are still nasty & so is systemd.  There's no philosophical argument involved, it arrived with Jessie, caused me more hassle in the first month using it than I'll save in faster boot times in the entire rest of my life, it simply grates on me every time I have to interact with it now, technical merits or otherwise aside.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#53 2019-02-10 11:34:02

S7.L

I dont believe that was the aim of the video to make people like it, after all the person speaking is a freebsd advocate. There are some clever componants to systemd as was mentioned in the video, pretty much take the good with the bad so to speak, some think it is all bad and most think it is all good to a point, it's not great of course.... i was called out for that yesterday, never call something great or try to make great again...lol

Who is this chef you speak of who can make sailing ships from avacados?   wink

#54 2019-02-10 11:47:53

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

I'm sure systemd has good points, I'm sure there were good points to Windows ME, I hated that too.

If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#55 2019-02-10 12:03:01

S7.L

Im no fan of systemd either, i mostly use artix linux with openrc, systemd as init for a simple personal home desktop is a bit overkill imo. But in the scheme of things with mass adoption of something like windows or mac you have these software suites like journald and svchost, that is part of how linux will be ready for mass adoption, when systemd has taken total control of gnu/linux with the big players like debian, fedora etc, i suppose that is a good reason to dislike it. But there are a lot of good people behind the scenes working on making sure linux doesn't get gobbled up by systemd and that is where the good of systemd needs to be looked at moving into the future i believe. You never know, in 10 years time we all maybe using completely different init systems, there is always some clever clogs out there working hard to make something ingenious and keeping it hidden from the world until the right time comes along.

#56 2019-02-10 12:21:31

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Could have called it ready with Debian Wheezy for most folks, apps have gotten more polished since but convenient disaster recovery options aside, the rest was pretty functional.  So the stuff systemd glommed all together was done by separate things Debian did a good job hooking those things up.  Your average non geek wouldn't know the difference between it had one init or the other, you don't see it till you try to tweak stuff they wouldn't be trying to tweak.

#57 2019-02-10 12:53:31

damo
....moderator....

Well we know where people stand on [init system of choice], so can we quit the tedious repetition now?  roll

TGN beckons....

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#58 2019-02-10 13:03:24

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

Well, I've heard sex still sells.

Paris Hilton Linux - So Easy, Anyone Can Use Her

Let's try that to test market penetration. Heck, even if it fails, it'd be much cheaper than IBM's epic failure back in that Superbowl.

#59 2019-02-10 13:15:13

S7.L

^ dont you mean Kardashian linux, the big ass end of linux, more bloat than you can twerk too!

Paris hilton linux would be so yesterday, like tiny core linux..... lmfao!

#60 2019-02-10 13:26:03

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

^ well, whatever's big now, I suppose.
It's been years since I turned on the TV to watch anything other than news or sport.

#61 2019-02-10 13:32:47

S7.L

^ yeah i know what you mean, im just being facetious. I generally detest tv and there is only a few shows ill watch, old reruns of mash are my fave. Used to be into the motorsport but couldnt be bothered anymore, indy cars were my fave but they no longer show them on free to air where i am.

#62 2019-02-10 13:35:22

Hipparkhia

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

At no point have I said Linux isn't ready for *me* to use, only that it's not ready to recommend to an average PC user, the learning curve is a little too steep for getting ongoing live backups running *for them*.  Everyone seems to think I have an issue over it or can't be bothered to sort my own strategy out.  Not the case.  Having looked at it though, it's too complex for me to recommend the platform to others is all.

But what makes you think the "average PC user" wants or needs ongoing live backups? Such things may be available on Windows and for all I know they might be easy to set up but I don't know any average PC user who uses them. i never have, on Windows or Linux, and I can't say the issue is one I've even thought about when deciding which operating system to use. I can understand that ongoing live backups have their uses in certain situations but why should I bother at home? I'm not a geek, I don't work in IT, I'm not responsible for anybody else's work - all I want to backup is personal stuff and some configuration files and I can do that manually now and again. Ongoing live backups are not a factor for me and I find it hard to believe they would be a factor for most users - so this seems a quite strange argument when discussing mass adoption.

#63 2019-02-10 14:11:35

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

The average PC user gets by without & often doesn't think of it, till they've been bit a couple of times. Reinstalls are really tedious, even if you do have your documents saved elsewhere. That said, reinstalls are way easier with Linux than Windows, not the OS itself, that's comparable, but all the software, at least with Linux you haven't got the "Where did I get such-and-such?" and loads of sites to re-download stuff from, it's pretty much all a simple apt-get away.

Once bitten though, it's suddenly a way higher priority.   Then something gets installed & set up, or the built-in solution configured be it WiB in windows, Time Machine on Mac or some other solution. As to why I advanced it, pretty well all the other barriers are solved.

Maybe it's lessening in importance with cloud this, google that, & drop the other, it's still something that matters though.

There's always the "Why aren't people adopting Linux?" question, I'm sure that has lots of other things influencing it , & I doubt the backup solutions rate much on *that* list.

#64 2019-02-10 14:23:44

S7.L

^ this is where i think being able to clone a running system comes in handy like refracta snapshot/refracta installer, but you still need a bit of knowledge to get it working well.

Last edited by S7.L (2019-02-10 14:28:04)

#65 2019-02-10 15:01:52

THX1138

damo wrote:

Well we know where people stand on [init system of choice], so can we quit the tedious repetition now?  roll

TGN beckons....

Did you mean TNG, star trek? I often feel compelled to watch it myself like every episode on SYFY channel for the last 10 years wait, I meant 20 years

Last edited by THX1138 (2019-02-10 15:03:35)

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#66 2019-02-10 18:14:35

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Paris Hilton Linux - So Easy, Anyone Can Use Her

That's what I'm talking about. tongue

#67 2019-02-10 18:26:00

damo
....moderator....

THX1138 wrote:
damo wrote:

TGN beckons....

Did you mean TNG, star trek?...

TGN

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#68 2019-02-10 20:05:25

misko_2083

damo wrote:
THX1138 wrote:
damo wrote:

TGN beckons....

TGN

Oh my gosh, I thought it is Tabletop Gaming News. big_smile

#69 2019-02-10 22:16:32

THX1138

damo wrote:
THX1138 wrote:
damo wrote:

TGN beckons....

TGN

Oh LOL

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

Board footer