You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-03 00:38:05

12oclocker

Thunar smb:// stops working

In bl-Helium-4-amd64.iso, I noticed when using Thunar 1.6.11, if I try to connect to a samba share using smb:// in the address field, and I accidentally mistype the share name making it invalid, sometimes that completely breaks all Thunar smb share access, not even valid shares can be accessed, and I must reboot for the problem to resolve. Anyone have any ideas how to fix, anyone seen this problem before? Did some typical googling but cannot find anything.

#2 2019-02-03 00:45:01

lowrider

Re: Thunar smb:// stops working

get rid of M$ maybe? sorry ops

#3 2019-02-03 00:53:37

Bearded_Blunder

You could try restarting the Thunar daemon rather than a full reboot.
I guess I've been lucky, I've not seen the problem.
@lowrider, getting rid of M$ doesn't rid you of smb shares, many/most off the shelf NAS boxes expose smb shares.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#4 2019-02-03 16:04:44

12oclocker

actually lowrider, I got rid of MS years ago, but I still use samba shares across my network because it plays nicely with other embedded devices and NAS devices that use smb for their file sharing...
What is strange is that restarting the Thunar daemon seems to have no effect, only a reboot fixes the issue. I will see if I can track down exactly what daemon is failing when it pops up again, its very strange.

#5 2019-02-05 16:21:23

THX1138

Couple of questions for 12oclocker
What effect on the does disabling the ethernet/wifi port, waiting 5 seconds, then re-enabling it, have when smb stops responding?
Have you disabled firewalls and other security on both machines?

If I were to take a wild guess my thoughts would be with something blocking a port
maybe some kind of security arrangement. I used to have a NAS drive that would block
connctions after a couple of unsuccessful attempts to log in, but the computer I was accessing from would keep hammering the door to get in.

You could try

netstat -tp

to see the state of smb before this happens
and again after it happens

Last edited by THX1138 (2019-02-05 16:33:43)

I did not attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. (Mark Twain)

Board footer