ohnonot
...again
Website

#502 Yesterday 11:26:33

twoion
ほやほや

Re: BunsenLabs film thread

Yesterday, we watched Serenity (2005).

Finally a space Sci-Fi movie that I could enjoy, despite the sidekick to the heroine being a useless schtick that fulfilled his use about 10 minutes into the movie.

I'm not a big fan of the StarWars movie franchise, I think it's a clueless and low-quality way of making space movies, and Serenity both from the setup and the plot felt like it was heavily inspired by the franchise but kept down to earth, which makes it better than SW.

Also, it's just a hunch, but I found the Expanse sci-fi novel series' Cptn. Holden and his gang to be eerily similar to the gang of Serenity, so I wouldn't rule out the former was inspired by the latter (at least to some degree).

Im grünen Wald, dort wo die Drossel singt…

#503 Yesterday 11:53:19

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: BunsenLabs film thread

twoion wrote:

Yesterday, we watched Serenity (2005).

Also, it's just a hunch, but I found the Expanse sci-fi novel series' Cptn. Holden and his gang to be eerily similar to the gang of Serenity, so I wouldn't rule out the former was inspired by the latter (at least to some degree).

I think the Expanse makers have been borrowing heavily from everywhere; I'm currently reading a book that has elements in it that remind me heavily of The Expanse. Come to think of it, it's well possible that Rajaniemi got inspiration from elsewhere... it's all good.
Anyhow, the type of Serenity / Expanse series, I want more of!

Board footer