You are not logged in.

#26 2019-01-06 16:38:50

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Re: Disk Cleanup - Optimizing disk usage [Solved]

Agreed, but you do need to have installed using LVM (good reason to do so) You also have to leave space in the PV for snapshots, which the installers defaults don't, How many typical users will pick "manual partitioning" during the install to set LVM up that way?

Hence PITA if you've clicked through the DI defaults, resize file system, shrink LV all command-line since system-config-lvm went away, how many typical users, even typical Linux users can face / are going to do that post install?

I'm not suggesting that any distro should NAG you to backup the way Windows does, but defaulting to a setup where you can image live and have a GUI tool to do it would be nice, and probably unique to the first distro that does it.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#27 2019-01-06 18:40:45

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

^Hm ... OK? neutral

My post had the OP in mind.

Just a note:

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

... You also have to leave space in the PV for snapshots, which the installers defaults don't ...

Well, then you don't take all the disk space with LMV partitions during initial setup, which generally is the idea of configuring LVM partitions with minimal space (and enlarge them as necessary).

EDIT: added a word, to clarify what I mean.

Last edited by iMBeCil (2019-01-06 19:45:54)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#28 2019-01-06 19:22:08

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Indeed, you & I both know this and I'm not arguing, the thing is upstream.. namely the Debian installer devs haven't twigged this.. and consequently fill the PV & disable one of the main advantages in the process, unless you intervene manually, which is comparatively cumbersome.

Maybe I should file a bug upstream, category wish-list, when setting up LVM, the partitioner should have a check-box to leave 10% free for future snapshots, and maybe a field to alter the %.

I'm betting the OP clicked straight through the "Guided" (misguided?) options in the partitioner & thus doesn't have space for snapshots..  Which is to say the default setup could be improved, not that someone who knows why they want LVM can't set it up more sensibly.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

Board footer