You are not logged in.

#26 2018-09-13 04:43:53

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Hard disk failure and SMART

johnraff wrote:

W10 was... sort of what I expected. The inscrutible error messages after a process has run for 5 min., mysteriously fixed the next time, sudden reboots without warning, some things don't change.

you saw right through its elaborate mask!
wink

#27 2018-09-13 07:29:52

johnraff
nullglob
Website

...and in the short time I was using it, even managed to get a Blue Screen Of Death. cool
Ah, memories...

Anyway, W10 is tucked away in its own little partition (three in fact), and I finally managed to install Helium on the rest of the disks, taking twoion's advice to use LVM on both. For a while, grub was failing to install in the efi partition, till I tried using the most recent BL iso file, not the beta I had around. Either that, or the reboot (or changing to the USB2 socket), fixed it and now the efi grub menu shows BL (default) and Windows, together with "system setup" which goes to some BIOS boot options, courtesy of HP I suppose.

But as usual it took longer than planned. Now to import my data - tomorrow rather. Will no doubt discover some important files I mistakenly excluded from the rsync backup. roll

Last edited by johnraff (2018-09-13 23:59:44)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#28 2018-09-14 00:06:57

johnraff
nullglob
Website

OT/
Also, not best pleased that Debian chose this exact moment to ship Firefox Quantum as ESR, breaking all my favourite extensions. neutral

John
--------------------

#29 2018-09-26 06:22:46

johnraff
nullglob
Website

johnraff wrote:

Now to import my data - tomorrow rather. Will no doubt discover some important files I mistakenly excluded from the rsync backup. roll

Indeed. Most of it was there, luckily, but one section I had excluded was my VB virtual machines. Good reason - they take up many gigabytes - but among the dispensible play-zones was one that I rather wanted to keep. By this time the old hard disk was pretty much dead, but the machine it was in would still boot up from a usb BL live session. I think SMART, and maybe the ext4 journalling too, were still struggling to save what they could, because although at one point even 'fdisk -l' was failing to show the HDD, after a reboot it appeared again, and I could mount it 'mount /dev/sda1 /disk'. Avoiding any unnecessary reads of the filesystem with cd, ls or whatever, I left it like that and googled up on ddrescue. Pretty impressive. cool

There's plenty of stuff out there if you do a web search, but what wasn't immediately clear was that you can use it to pick off a particular file from the bad drive without having to try to clone the whole 1TB! Just install gddrescue in your live system and do something like 'sudo ddrescue /disk/directory/file /backup/dir/ /backup/logfile' (Don't forget to specify a logfile.)

It took quite some time, going in and carefully picking out the 9GB file I wanted, bit by bit (all automatically), but eventually there it was! Previous attempt to run 'cp /disk/directory/file /backup/dir' had produced a broken 2GB fragment, but ddrescue brought in a fully usable .vdi file. Then all the other files in the same directory too (24GB).

So impressed I went on to retrieve the totally low-priority YouTube music downloads I had abandoned, also 100% success. Good stuff.

Bit more about ddrescue here: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 818#p76818

Last edited by johnraff (2018-09-26 07:38:13)

John
--------------------

Board footer