You are not logged in.

#26 2018-09-13 04:43:53

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Hard disk failure and SMART

johnraff wrote:

W10 was... sort of what I expected. The inscrutible error messages after a process has run for 5 min., mysteriously fixed the next time, sudden reboots without warning, some things don't change.

you saw right through its elaborate mask!
wink

#27 2018-09-13 07:29:52

johnraff
nullglob
Website

...and in the short time I was using it, even managed to get a Blue Screen Of Death. cool
Ah, memories...

Anyway, W10 is tucked away in its own little partition (three in fact), and I finally managed to install Helium on the rest of the disks, taking twoion's advice to use LVM on both. For a while, grub was failing to install in the efi partition, till I tried using the most recent BL iso file, not the beta I had around. Either that, or the reboot (or changing to the USB2 socket), fixed it and now the efi grub menu shows BL (default) and Windows, together with "system setup" which goes to some BIOS boot options, courtesy of HP I suppose.

But as usual it took longer than planned. Now to import my data - tomorrow rather. Will no doubt discover some important files I mistakenly excluded from the rsync backup. roll

Last edited by johnraff (2018-09-13 23:59:44)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#28 2018-09-14 00:06:57

johnraff
nullglob
Website

OT/
Also, not best pleased that Debian chose this exact moment to ship Firefox Quantum as ESR, breaking all my favourite extensions. neutral

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Board footer