You are not logged in.

#651 2018-06-07 18:35:31

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

martix wrote:

I think this is the most popular BSD distro on distrowatch

Not according to the user reviews: OpenBSD is at number 8 (yay!), TrueOS is at 119:

http://distrowatch.org/dwres.php?resource=ranking

EDIT: also, there are no BSD "distributions" — OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD & DragonFly BSD are all distinct operating systems in their own right and they have their own kernel and userspace tools. TrueOS is to FreeBSD as Ubuntu is to Debian.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-06-07 21:19:02)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#652 2018-06-08 12:20:36

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
martix wrote:

I think this is the most popular BSD distro on distrowatch

Not according to the user reviews: OpenBSD is at number 8 (yay!), TrueOS is at 119:

That's a good point, as I was thinking of the page hit ranking. TrueOS is on the 11th place right now, FreeBSD on the 34th and OpenBSD is on the 77th. Manjaro is on the first place, stunning development.

Technically speaking there might be actually BSD distributions as it's possible to run e.g. Debian on top of FreeBSD (and "D" stands for distribution in BSD). On the other hand it's indeed different with BSD, it's not supposed to be "bsd distro" even if the term "bsd distro" is in use all over the net (correct or not) when referring to a BSD OS (on the TrueOS review page alone a dozen times).

#653 2018-06-22 18:01:48

hhh
That's easy!
Website

KDE Neon running Plasma 5.13.0. I'm so impressed. It's an amazing DE, KDE has done outstanding work on this release...
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 787#p73787

#654 2018-07-06 17:56:41

mrneilypops
The BL Scrot.Moe Guy
Website

Calling all Alpine linux experts!!!

I tried several times to install Alpine v3.80 x86_64 to SSD today.
https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Installation
I tried Alpine Standard ISO and Alpine Extended ISO.
https://alpinelinux.org/downloads/
On each attempt I had a kernel panic on boot with 'rootfs not found'...[sorry no logs]
Grub updates and detects Alpine without obvious issue...[triple boot system Arch/Void/Alpine(with a bit of luck roll) ]

EDIT: I also tried manual partioning in advance of install ie. /dev/sdb1 boot EXT2 /dev/sdb2 SWAP /dev/sdb3 / EXT4

inxi -F
Destination SSD /dev/sdb

What could I be missing in the install?

I am keen to try Alpine on the desktop due to low RAM usage and fast boot...for example...

Thanks all in advance for any tips/pointers.

Last edited by mrneilypops (2018-07-06 19:03:16)

#655 2018-08-29 23:23:11

ValiantLucatero
Website

Hello there! Just going to let my question loose to see if anyone has a good advice:

I bought a MacBook Pro on 2012, brand new and all, I still have it running at 100% to this day (Only a HDD replacement and a RAM upgrade).

At first I only used MacOS mainly because I didn't know anything about Linux. But life leads you to surprising places and as I studied High School I started learning to code. One thing led to another and I ended up installing Xubuntu on my MBP. I fell in love, how smooth and clean Linux was, so I started my journey as distrohopper, as of today I have succesfully installed Linux over MacOS (or another distro) 16 times. I've tested Xubuntu, Ubuntu, Arch, Fedora, Kali and obviously Bunsenlabs (my favourite). Recently I had no choice but to install MacOS because some programs that I need for college were not running adequately on Bunsenlabs (or not at all) Ex. Office, Proteus, and others specialized on engineering.

Now the real question is, what do you suggest? Do I install Bunsenlabs again and fight with some programs?, is it worthless because MacOS is, at the end of the day and deep deep down, a beautified Linux?

Currently I have an HDD of 500GB partitioned half MacOS High Sierra and half Windows 10 (Some of those damn programs doesn't even run on MacOS...) and 16GB of RAM.

Last edited by ValiantLucatero (2018-08-30 00:36:37)

Sometimes the people you never imagined end up doing things you never imagined.

#656 2018-08-30 05:12:49

ohnonot
...again
Website

ValiantLucatero wrote:

Office, Proteus, and others specialized on engineering.

Now the real question is, what do you suggest? Do I install Bunsenlabs again and fight with some programs?, is it worthless because MacOS is, at the end of the day and deep deep down, a beautified Linux?

if anything, macos is a beautified BSD!

anyhow, we should look at the applications and see if we can't find a native linux replacement.
only then should you try to run those that can't be replaced through wine (assuming they have a windows version).
if that doesn't work either you could try a windwos virtual machine. maybe it will run under windows xp, which is available for free these days afaiu, and much lighter than subsequent versions.

Office - you mean like MS Office? why isn't libreoffice good enough?

Proteus - this one?

in my experience, ALL functionality is available on linux natively, but sometimes the path to a workable solution is different:
various smaller (even command line) programs, instead of one "suite", a window manager with powerful shortcuts and a little shell scripting...

#657 2018-08-30 06:31:31

ValiantLucatero
Website

ohnonot wrote:

if anything, macos is a beautified BSD!

That's right.

ohnonot wrote:

anyhow, we should look at the applications and see if we can't find a native linux replacement.
only then should you try to run those that can't be replaced through wine (assuming they have a windows version).
if that doesn't work either you could try a windwos virtual machine. maybe it will run under windows xp, which is available for free these days afaiu, and much lighter than subsequent versions.

Ok... this sounds like a very viable solution! big_smile

ohnonot wrote:

Office - you mean like MS Office? why isn't libreoffice good enough?

Yeah. Because of the functionality of inserting equations and collaborative work over the internet. Besides, if you edit a file created under Office Word on LibreOffice it will change some little aspects of the document, and viceversa. This doesn't appear on your side, but if I send it to my classmates that use Office Word it will be a MESS...

ohnonot wrote:

Proteus - this one?

Yes, that one, I know there are a lot of "alternatives" but this is a very specialized software, it does things that no other PCB editor can... at least the ones I could find...

ohnonot wrote:

in my experience, ALL functionality is available on linux natively, but sometimes the path to a workable solution is different:
various smaller (even command line) programs, instead of one "suite", a window manager with powerful shortcuts and a little shell scripting...

I'm glad to hear that, I REALLY love Bunsenlabs and having it as my main OS will be my priority on the next intersemester. I have to do some research to find ways to cancel or at leat minimize the situations I described above (the VM idea and wine are pretty good!). I've had this dilema for a long time and you are convincing me...
Thank you very much!

Sometimes the people you never imagined end up doing things you never imagined.

#658 2018-08-30 17:01:07

ohnonot
...again
Website

#659 2018-09-10 23:02:49

redrobo66

I frequently install new distros, but within days I find myself reinstalling Bunsenlabs and restoring my system from backup.

I've grown very attached to Bunsenlabs smile

#660 2018-09-11 05:22:15

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

^you’re not the only one. big_smile

#661 2018-09-11 18:31:09

nore
>2⁹

https://www.elivecd.org/news/elive-3-0- … -released/
I remember trying Elive for a short time back in 2009. Haven't touched Enlightenment since. Good time to give it a spin.

#662 2018-09-11 18:42:01

DeepDayze

nore wrote:

I remember trying Elive for a short time back in 2009. Haven't touched Enlightenment since. Good time to give it a spin.

I believe Enlightenment is now at E22 so from what I hear it's gotten a lot better.

Real Men Use Linux

#663 2018-09-11 22:44:04

hhh
That's easy!
Website

malm wrote:

^you’re not the only one. big_smile

Dude, I flipping hate Openbox. No wallpaper, static menu, and seven font settings just for Openbox, separate from lxappearance, which itself sets fonts in 2 different locations (font, anti-aliasing). But Helium has so much right going for it OOTB that I can use it for days without even feeling the urge to change anything.

Also, it's the best LIVE install of Debian stable out there in terms of non-free packages and RAM usage, in my admittedly biased opinion.

Steve P. with MX Linux has a right to argue that bold boast. smile

PS: @Steve P, thank you for your contribution and continued participation in our forums, it is greatly appreciated. And congrats on the great success of MX, have you seen your DistroWatch ranking?

On my browser your at #5, up 1481 over the last six months!

https://www.distrowatch.com/

-edit- Nice, BL has moved up to 60. We're flat (neither up nor down in page hits on the home page), but that's up in position from 73 just 2 months ago.

Damn, just for us to be in the top 100 on DistroWatch is impressive.

-edit- Dobbie's ArchLabs is down in page hits, but still at an incredible spot, 36.

#664 2018-09-12 06:06:24

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

hhh wrote:

-edit- Dobbie's ArchLabs is down in page hits, but still at an incredible spot, 36.

Yeah I don't really worry about the Distrowatch hits to be honest.  I have been judging our popularity by forum traffic which is decent.

I have really minimised our social presence too, no Facebook, Reddit or anything else other than the forum, twitter and a couple of the forum guys alongside Nate looking after G+.

Our hits always go through the roof with a new release, though we have no plans for a release for at least another couple of months.

Last edited by Dobbie03 (2018-09-12 06:08:01)

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!

#665 2018-09-12 06:48:32

hhh
That's easy!
Website

I surf Reddit a bit. I don't even follow r/BunsenLabs though. People suck, screw people.

#666 2018-09-12 09:57:23

PackRat

DeepDayze wrote:
nore wrote:

I believe Enlightenment is now at E22 so from what I hear it's gotten a lot better.

It is. Sparky Linux has it available as well.
There is also a 3rd party Enlightenment repo available for Debian if you want E22 compiled with Wayland support.

Last edited by PackRat (2018-09-12 12:54:07)

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.
                                                                                                                                       Upton Sinclair

#667 2018-09-12 12:20:19

ratcheer

I am bored with Fedora on my notebook PC (HP Probook). I really want to dive into something different; I'm thinking about OpenBSD.

It that likely to present huge obstacles? My main concerns are UEFI and the hybrid video system (Intel 520 onboard and AMD discrete).

Tim

#668 2018-09-13 04:56:39

ohnonot
...again
Website

re eLive: ugh, look at their websites frontpage!
i'd rather recommend Bodhi i think, though i cannot think why they had to fork enlightenment.
roll

ratcheer wrote:

It that likely to present huge obstacles?

i tried it in a vm recently and was totally flabbergasted by how differently packages are managed. everything seems to be following a different paradigm, even the documentation.
maybe not a huge obstacle, but i just gave up (i was only playing around).

#669 2018-10-02 16:54:37

ohnonot
...again
Website

a question to all you distrohoppers:

i want to install some Linux on the follow combination of hardware:
- a smallish desktop computer from 2008 (no info atm; let's assume intel)
- an older nvidia card (geforce 210 or 710 iirc) with HDMI out
- connected to an older flatscreen TV (non-smart; no info atm)

needless to say it's not exactly a powerhouse, but i hope the nvidia card will make media playback possible.

what distro would be most recommended?
additional challenge: there's no computer monitor at hand; the hdmi should work straight away.
the flatscreen can be connected only with hdmi, and the computer itself does not have hdmi out.

#670 2018-10-03 13:14:16

PackRat

^ I have ArchLabs installed on a desktop older than that with an nvidia 610. Not using the HDMI though, so can't say anything about that. The media playback is good.. Compton messes it up though, so keep the bells and whistles to a minimum. Have also installed BL on it; again, disable the some of the bling.

Last edited by PackRat (2018-10-03 13:25:36)

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.
                                                                                                                                       Upton Sinclair

#671 2018-10-03 14:45:11

S7.L

ohnonot wrote:

a question to all you distrohoppers:

i want to install some Linux on the follow combination of hardware:
- a smallish desktop computer from 2008 (no info atm; let's assume intel)
- an older nvidia card (geforce 210 or 710 iirc) with HDMI out
- connected to an older flatscreen TV (non-smart; no info atm)

needless to say it's not exactly a powerhouse, but i hope the nvidia card will make media playback possible.

what distro would be most recommended?
additional challenge: there's no computer monitor at hand; the hdmi should work straight away.
the flatscreen can be connected only with hdmi, and the computer itself does not have hdmi out.

Give the nodbus version a try in below link.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/refracta/files/experimental/

"Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases from being shared."
~Buddha

#672 2018-10-03 15:23:58

ohnonot
...again
Website

S7.L, what is this? refracta is a distro? and what does nodbus mean?
gonna try it anyhow in a vm.
(edit: ah, it's some sort of devuan. booted up pretty fast, with LXDE? certainly lightweight. not sure how it could've helped with the nvidia card though.)

about the machine:
i had a closer look at it today.
it does not have a pci slot for the graphics card, there's only one slot for RAM which is at 1GB.
it has a windows XP sticker.
there's no possibility to connect the machine to the TV without an expensive VGA/hdmi adapter - well maybe i'll give it a try with a computer monitor just for the heck of it, but it's pretty safe to say that modern compressed video format playback will not work.

sorry for the noise.

#673 2018-10-04 10:25:10

S7.L

^ Have a look here ohnonot, https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2158
Its a no dbus version of devuan / refracta it says.

The nouveau driver would be sufficient on a machine like that one wouldnt it?

Last edited by S7.L (2018-10-04 10:27:30)

"Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases from being shared."
~Buddha

#674 2018-10-05 05:17:24

ohnonot
...again
Website

S7.L wrote:

^ Have a look here ohnonot, https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2158
Its a no dbus version of devuan / refracta it says.

yesterday, i was surprised (in a good way) to see that

• refracta is actually a distro - i thought it was software to create a bootable install from your current system

• it's based on devuan

i still don't understand what the benefit of removing dbus is, or why you recommended it.

The nouveau driver would be sufficient on a machine like that one wouldnt it?

since the goal is was media playback, i would say that especially on an otherwise weak machine it is important to make full use of the (slightly newer) GPU. and full use unfortunately still means nvidia, not nouveau.
also, in my experience, the older the nvidia card, the more likely nouveau is to cause trouble.

but hey, thanks for the tip anyhow.
i might have given it a try if i hadn't given up on the project.

Last edited by ohnonot (2018-10-05 05:21:18)

#675 2018-10-05 11:44:06

S7.L

^ Im not really recommending removing dbus, so perhaps maybe recommending the distro without dbus as i find it works and it is a kiss (keep it simple simon) type of distro imo, ultimately its up to you what goes on your machines, i was just advocating it for perhaps you might find it interesting and usable. There is an iso in that library that has dbus not pinned and you can easily remove the pins in 

/etc/apt/preferences.d/

Bit more about this no dbus: https://sysdfree.wordpress.com/2018/05/07/209/

Devuan has a nice package search online, perhaps the needed nvidia files are here: https://pkginfo.devuan.org/cgi-bin/d1pk … ease=ascii

~Buddha

Board footer