You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-05 18:55:11

verndog

spacefm

Consider installing spacefm. From what I can tell , its smaller than Thunar including dependencies. Its a rather unusual filemanager. Very programmable. Still very active development.

#2 2018-07-05 20:54:59

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: spacefm

it's not relevantly smaller or bigger than thunar, but better.
biggest plus imo: removable device mounting without gvfs.

#3 2018-07-05 23:53:02

hhh
That's easy!
Website

@verndog, I assume you mean 'consider replacing Thunar with SpaceFM as the default file manager in BL releases'.

Sorry to be blunt, but it's not likely to happen for our next major release, lithium. This is exactly why @johnraff added bl-alternatives to the default debian alternatives... so that the default file manager, text editor, media player and terminal applications could easily be reset by the user.

The one thing we've really tried to do is stick to a setup that is very similar to how the #! releases statler and waldorf were setup. Openbox, tint2, compton, conky, terminator, geany, thunar, vlc, xfce4-power-manager, clipit, pnmixer... these were all included in those releases.

An application would really need to be significantly better to warrant replacing these core applications. Example, I believe the entire team prefer mpv over vlc, but vlc remains the default media player because it "just works", it works great, it's more n00b friendly and it's what #! used.

In a case like replacing gnumeric with libreoffice-calc, which hasn't been decided upon yet but will most likely happen, we've considered the suggestion and are discussing it openly, and the reasons given make sense...
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4991

So I hope you understand... it's a good suggestion, we'll consider it and if there's major forum feedback here saying "great idea" it could easily happen, but for now just install spacefm, purge thunar*, logout, done. You now have spacefm as your default file manager, and the 'S-f' shortcut, the launcher folder icon and the menu entry will all open it.

I always, ALWAYS switch terminator with lxterm or xfce4-terminal, switch geany with leafpad, switch vlc with mpv, switch mirage with gpicview and usually set my wallpaper with feh instead of nitrogen because those programs are simple, I know them and I like them, but that doesn't mean I want to see them as the defaults.

It's like when an application updates and all of a sudden it has a new GUI. It might be better, but for crying out loud, really? Now I have to relearn how to do the actions I've been doing a certain way for months or years? WHY, FIREFOX/GOOGLE/WINDOWS etc... WHY??? (Answer, and I quote Dr. Leonard H. "Bones" McCoy in Star Trek: The Motion Picture, "I know engineers, they LOVE to change things.")

Hope that makes sense.

#4 2018-07-06 02:00:13

DeepDayze

@hhh, think the current defaults are fine, but if the OP wants to make SpaceFM his default that should be doable with the bl-alternatives, am I correct?

Real Men Use Linux

#5 2018-07-06 03:31:38

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

...added bl-alternatives to the default debian alternatives... so that the default file manager, text editor, media player and terminal applications could easily be reset by the user.

...just install spacefm, purge thunar*, logout, done.
You now have spacefm as your default file manager, and the 'S-f' shortcut, the launcher folder icon and the menu entry will all open it.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Board footer