You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-25 08:35:44

imp2021

How to install Bumblebee/ optirun ???

Appearently nothing seems to work for me.
I'm on a Lenovo T430, and I had it working on jessie (which unfortunatley stopped working in fall 2017).
I switched over to Manjaro, where it is working (despite a pulseaudio issue somehow related to that).

And now since bunsenlabs comes with stretch, I want to be with you guys again smile

However, https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 137#p23137 does not work for me.
Also the officially https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee does not work for me.

It eather blackscreens me on bootup or it says I have to check 'systemctl status lightdm.service' because there was an error. Wich then lets me search the web again ..google redirects me to some ubuntu related stuff. wich didn't work for me.
..so I do what I do, and reinstall bunslenlabs try somethign else.. reinstall bunsenlabs.. reinstall..

However, there is also this on the Manjaro Forums, that some Optirun things need the 390xx driver. (https://forum.manjaro.org/t/hybrid-grap … idia/20166)
But on stretch, there is only the 375xx if I'am not mistaken. ..so maybe I can't get it to work with the offical debian repos?

--

Long story short (edited):
Anybody out there has a *up to date* bumblebee set up or guide?
..appearently I do it wrong or those I know are outdated.

regards

Last edited by imp2021 (2018-06-25 09:34:37)

#2 2018-06-26 21:58:38

sleekmason

Re: How to install Bumblebee/ optirun ???

So, let's run through what you did.  These are the official instructions per the debian guide.

Users of versions newer than Wheezy can install everything directly from the official repositories.

sudo apt update

For users who would like to use the free nouveau driver:

sudo apt install bumblebee primus

For users who would like to use the proprietary nvidia driver (again, requires contrib and non-free enabled in your sources.list):

sudo apt install bumblebee-nvidia primus

Users running a 64-bit system who want to take advantage of Bumblebee with the primus backend when running 32-bit applications will also want to install primus-libs:i386. This requires Multiarch support.

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install bumblebee-nvidia primus primus-libs:i386

Knowing exactly what you did will help weed out extra variables.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

#3 2018-06-27 12:49:51

imp2021

Ok, I guess reflecting what I did is better then asking for what is working.

So encouraged by sleekmason:

* fresh install, text based, wired net connected
* skipped bl-welcome (closed window as it popped up)
* $ sudo su
* # dpkg --add-architecture i386 && apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get install bumblebee-nvidia primus primus-libs:i386
* restart

* $ glxgears
** runs fine
* $ primusrun glxgears
** /usr/bin/primusrun: line 41: warning: command substitution: ignored null byte in input
** but runs fine

* $ primusrun steam
** Error pops up: 'Fatal Error: Failed to load steamui.so'

* $ optirun steam
** works ..currently installing something to which if working

* $ primusrun playonlinux
** suspicious lines:
[Check_OpenGL] Warning: check_dd_x86 missing, test skipped
[Check_OpenGL] Warning: check_dd_amd64 missing, test skipped
** desired game doesnt start. ..but also without primusrun, game does not start. So propably some other problem.

---

So the thing what I have never done before was skipping the bl-welcome script. (because I liked how it adds the backports.)
I can only assume that it's something about
$ sudo apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs
that messes up the (bumblebee) installation.

---

I gonna edit this if it works when the installation is done. (takes about 2h.. so Im not sure if I wait it now through or tomorrow.)

#4 2018-06-27 18:22:10

ohnonot
...again
Website

sleekmason did NOT encourage you to skip bl-welcome, and you also skipped the important step 0 in their advice.

#5 2018-06-27 21:01:48

stevep
MX Linux Developer

Did nvidia-check say the stock Nvidia drivers were OK for your hardware?

I don't know if the MX Nvidia driver tool would work on BL, though it just launches the ddm-mx script which you can also just run from the command line.  It automatically detects and sets up Bumblebee with the proprietary driver if it detects Optimus, and will also install the necessary i386 libraries on amd64 systems.  It's worth a try: http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/d/ddm-mx/

#6 2018-06-27 21:05:08

stevep
MX Linux Developer

I don't know if the MX Nvidia driver tool would work on BL, though it just launches the ddm-mx script which you can also just run from the command line.  It automatically detects and sets up Bumblebee with the proprietary driver if it detects Optimus, and will also install the necessary i386 libraries on amd64 systems.  It's worth a try: http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/d/ddm-mx/

#7 2018-06-28 13:42:09

sleekmason

< > nVidia Framebuffer Support                                   │ │  
< > nVidia Riva support 

Description:

CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA:                                                       │  
  │                                                                         │  
  │ This driver supports graphics boards with the nVidia chips, TNT         │  
  │ and newer. For very old chipsets, such as the RIVA128, then use         │  
  │ the rivafb.                                                             │  
  │ Say Y if you have such a graphics board.

These options are available in the 4.17 image from the linux kernel archives.
I didn't see them in earlier versions.

However, these options are also not in the MX, kernel as installed, and stevep has it working there.

You could try a simple recompile with these options enabled.  I honestly have no idea if these would help or not, but just might be the ticket:)

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

#8 2018-06-28 17:06:02

imp2021

ohnonot wrote:

sleekmason did NOT encourage you to skip bl-welcome, and you also skipped the important step 0 in their advice.

sleekmason encouraged me to 'run through' what I did, thought that was obviously.

If the 'important step 0 in their advance' I skipped was to update before adding the architecture, then I am very sorry. I shall reinstall the whole system up new! ..this fragile linux distros..

--

stevep wrote:

Did nvidia-check say the stock Nvidia drivers were OK for your hardware?

I honestly haven't checked.
It's a Lenovo T430 and I am used to use those upon thee.
Currently I have that 390xx-nvidia branch working on an arch distro at this machine, and I had (an older version of the nvidia driver with bumblebee) working on Deuterium.

So generally speaking I assume 'nvidia should work on Helium' (on this machine Im sitting on).

..I guess I should try that mx repo thing. Ty for advice, but this might take a while, I am a bit shy on going for other repos.

#9 2018-06-28 17:36:01

stevep
MX Linux Developer

You don't need to add the MX repo when you can just download and install the ddm-mx deb from the link.  I think the new version switches from asking if you want to add stretch-backports to asking for the MX test repo to get a newer version because of continuing issues with the backports version, but you certainly don't need to say yes to that with your hardware.  And ddm-mx uses the nvidia-detect script to determine which driver you need...which the wiki also says to use manually.  When you ran it manually, what driver version did it say for you to use?

Last edited by stevep (2018-06-28 17:37:08)

Board footer