You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-31 11:35:51

cloverskull

Bumblebee support for new(er) NVIDIA cards

Hey guys,

I tried installing bumblebee following the Debian Bumblebee wiki page and optirun wouldn't work. Turns out my NVIDIA 970M card is a bit too new for the current stable NVIDIA non-free packages. I did get it to work, however, and this is what I did:

- Made sure there is a jessie-backports entry in my apt sources (BL Hydrogen RC2 did this automagically for me with bl-welcome script. Should be easy enough to do this portion so I will not document it specifically.)

- Added multilib and updated sources, upgraded system

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

- Installed jessie-backports stuff for bumblebee/nvidia

sudo apt-get install -t jessie-backports bumblebee-nvidia primus primus-libs:i386 nvidia-cuda-toolkit

The nvidia-cuda-toolkit is just extra stuff that I was curious about, it's totally optional.

You'll get an alert saying that the neauvou driver is in conflict and it will be removed automatically. Just tap enter when you see this screen.

Reboot, and then drop to a cli and run 'glxgears'. Next, try 'optirun glxgears'. The trick isn't noticing some slick difference between the two, but ensuring they both work. Good stuff. I haz nvidia, hooray!

Last edited by cloverskull (2016-03-31 11:36:11)

#2 2016-08-02 23:52:32

nikkop

Re: Bumblebee support for new(er) NVIDIA cards

Thanks for the guide, seems to work as my results from "glxgears" and "optirun glxgears" are the same - both run steady at 60 FPS.

However, when running "lspci -v" I get an "!!! Unknown header type 7f" for my GPU (GM108M / GeForce 840M)
May I ask what your "lspci -v" reports? Do I need to fix mine?

Thanks

#3 2016-08-03 07:22:10

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Bumblebee support for new(er) NVIDIA cards

@cloverskull: nice guide, thanks!
smile

nikkop wrote:

when running "lspci -v" I get an "!!! Unknown header type 7f" for my GPU (GM108M / GeForce 840M)

Try:

sudo update-pciids

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Board footer