You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-13 07:53:49

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [Helium-dev] TTY boot option & startx fails to configure desktop

johnraff wrote:

CLI users shouldn't need too much hand-holding.

Yes but using a random script run by the display manager to configure a graphical desktop is entirely non-obvious — I've been helping out with #! since 2014 and I only found out that was how it was being done a few months ago.

Most people would suppose that the configuration files had simply been added to /etc/skel (as ArchLabs does it) because that's the most obvious method and it requires no further levels of abstraction and is not reliant upon a display manager; tbh I'm still not completely clear why we don't do that but that's off-topic.

If you don't want to add this, that's fine.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#27 2018-03-13 08:24:50

johnraff
nullglob
Website

No let's keep it.

The reason we don't use skel has been discussed at length - it wasn't an autocratic decision by anyone. Please use the forum search function.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#28 2018-03-14 06:06:31

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I've been helping out with #! since 2014 and I only found out that was how it was being done a few months ago.

johnraff wrote:

Please use the forum search function.

Unfortunately I originally brought this up in a Development thread not here but on CrunchBang, in May 2015 so @HoaS you should have been aware of it, though you didn't make any comment at the time.
The Internet Archive haven't got this particular page, and the #! software have erased most of it till you log in and use "quote" or "edit", but it's here: https://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39678

johnraff (in 2015) wrote:

(techy topic)

The way CrunchBang, and BunsenLabs at the moment, populates the user home directory with config files is by a script (/usr/lib/bunsen/bunsen-configs/bl-user-setup in our case), triggered at login time but only run once, which copies in the contents of /etc/skel.

/etc/skel is used by Debian to put a new .profile, .bashrc and .bash_logout into a newly created user's $HOME, so we're just joining in - except that the script pre-empts that process. However, it's not really recommended to put a lot of stuff in /etc/skel, and we're filling it with many, many files. Moreover, any file a package installs under /etc gets marked as a conffile by Debian which complicates upgrades. (I just hit an issue when trying to move a file from one package to another.)

So, is there any reason why we can't put all those config files in e.g. /usr/share/bunsen/bunsen-configs/skel? It would be just as easy for bl-user-setup to copy them from there as from /etc/skel I guess.

Any snags I haven't though of?

So the disadvantages of putting a whole slew of config files in /etc/skel:
1) Debian Policy doesn't approve.
2) dpkg will regard them as conffiles which sometimes causes subtle complications.
3) Every user on the system will get their $HOME populated with the default set of BL config files, whether they want them or not.
4) Some files (eg tint2conf) need full filepaths, which have to be changed for each user.
I think 3) is the most serious of these.

Now it's true that only X users who log in via LightDM (or Slim on #!) will trigger the setup script. People who use another DM or login on CLI and then run `startx` will miss it. That might be regarded as an advantage in the sense that only people who are running the default BL setup will get the default BL config automatically, but as the OP points out, such people might not know how to get the config, if they want it.

So our current solution of a warning message might be enough.

Another possibility, though, would be to put a file in /etc/X11/Xsession.d as I suggested, then abandoned, above. This would cause the config files to be imported for anyone running an X session, regardless of how they started it. (There might be exceptions for Display Managers which don't use the Debian xsession scripts.)

If that was seen as an advantage, we could think about applying it, though it would need testing for corner-cases - there might be subtle differences in the environment, or when doing remote logins for example. As a proof of concept I put this file in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/22bunsen-user-setup (it needs to be early in the sequence because later scripts look for user config files.)

# run BunsenLabs user setup script
# This file is sourced by Xsession(5), not executed.

if [ -x /usr/lib/bunsen/configs/bl-user-setup ]
then 
	echo 'Running bl-user-setup to import configuration files.' > "$HOME/.xsession-errors"
	/usr/lib/bunsen/configs/bl-user-setup
fi

Creating a new user 'test', logging in from tty2 and running startx, the config setup seemed to go OK.

Last edited by johnraff (2018-03-17 08:16:22)

John
--------------------

#29 2018-03-14 07:38:59

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ Thank you for the extended explanation, it is very helpful.

johnraff wrote:

May 2015 so @HoaS you should have been aware of it, though you didn't make any comment at the time.

At that time I would have only been interested in the problem threads, I didn't pay much attention to the other forum areas, sorry.

johnraff wrote:

put a file in /etc/X11/Xsession.d

I very much prefer this idea over a dependence on LightDM.

EDIT: as I have already mentioned elesewhere, dropping LightDM completely gives a significant security advantage so it would be nice to allow our users that choice with the minimum of hackage.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-03-14 07:40:43)

#30 2018-03-14 09:47:45

johnraff
nullglob
Website

We always prefer modularity and tweakability - philosphies inherited from CrunchBang - so let's have a serious look at this DM-agnostic setup script. I'll start a new thread on that specifically and we'll see if we get any potential problems raised by other users. If not, it can go in bunsen-configs, replacing the LightDM config, and make it into Helium. cool

John
--------------------

#31 2018-03-14 11:12:10

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

...is entirely non-obvious...

That's about sums up a big chunk of my linux experience so far. But it's getting better.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

dropping LightDM completely gives a significant security advantage

What would be the best way for users to log-in without LightDM? Boot in tty and log-in from there?

My understanding was that a simple display manager starts X and user sessions (and shows login screen when configured that way), nothing complicated.

#32 2018-03-14 21:35:22

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

martix wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

dropping LightDM completely gives a significant security advantage

What would be the best way for users to log-in without LightDM? Boot in tty and log-in from there?

Yes, just running `startx` from a console log in will deliver the exact same desktop as if the user had logged in from LightDM[1] but without the extra running processes in the background (and any extra bugs they may be harbouring).

My understanding was that a simple display manager starts X and user sessions (and shows login screen when configured that way), nothing complicated.

Yes, that's why we don't need one big_smile

Even I will admit that releasing BunsenLabs without a display manager is not a realistic possibility but the advantage of running X as the normal user rather than as root is so great that I think we should try to make it as easy as possible.

[1] With the proviso that LightDM is needed to populate $HOME from /usr/share/bunsen/skel and configure the desktop on the first log in.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-03-14 21:36:40)

#33 2018-03-15 03:16:05

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Display Manager:

1) User login with password.

2) Allow choice of xsession based on .desktop files in /usr/share/xsessions/

3) Allow choice of locale, from what is installed on system (ie switch language).

4) Display users and choose one to login.

5) Bypass choice of default user, input password only.

6) Allow auto-login.

7) Look pretty.

Most of these can be done from the command line, but with more complication, especially 3).

John
--------------------

#34 2018-03-15 07:43:25

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

For those curious about the alternatives:

johnraff wrote:

TTY does that too.

Changing desktops isn't something people do very often but galternatives would seem to accomplish that (for the next login session).

3) Allow choice of locale, from what is installed on system (ie switch language).

As above, not usually something that is usually changed on-the-fly, `setxkbmap` for the X session should fix things at the user level.

That is not a good thing, IMO.

That's even worse (again, IMO).

6) Allow auto-login.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … ay_manager

7) Look pretty.

Efficiency is more attractive to me.

#35 2018-03-15 08:22:45

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I wrote:

Most of these can be done from the command line

I wasn't challenging your assertion on that, merely adding that it's more complicated. Also, choosing some of these things on-the-fly is attractive to some users. Also, changing a locale is more than just rearranging the keyboard. (I have to deal with English and Japanese locales.)

HoaS wrote:

Efficiency is more attractive to me.

I'm well aware of your preferences. I was just pointing out to the general audience that there are, as usual, two sides to this. A blanket statement like "We don't need a DM" is too restrictive.

John
--------------------

#36 2018-03-15 08:23:51

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

For those curious about the alternatives:

johnraff wrote:

TTY does that too.

Did you seriously think I - and most people - didn't know that?

martx wrote:

In fact my post was addressed not to @HoaS but to @martx who asked what a DM does.

Last edited by johnraff (2018-03-15 08:27:45)

John
--------------------

#37 2018-03-15 08:34:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:

Did you seriously think I - and most people - didn't know that?

Then why mention it as a "feature" of the display manager?

My post was intended for the curious wink

#38 2018-03-16 01:50:21

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^I think you might have misunderstood the intention of my post. There was no mention of "features". I simply listed up what I thought Display Managers did, starting from the most obvious, in reply to martix's query, and because I thought he and you had left a couple of things out. I then said that most of that could be done from the command line too, but that a graphical DM made choosing a locale (nothing to do with keyboard layout btw) and session manager easier. I think we're basically agreed on all that.

John
--------------------

#39 2018-03-16 07:49:22

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:

I think we're basically agreed on all that.

Yes, definitely.

To be absolutely clear: I would never propose that BL drop the display manager.

#40 2018-03-17 08:19:30

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I think this comes under the heading of [ENHANCEMENT] rather than bug really, but anyway I've proposed changing to DM-agnostic config file imports here: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4672

John
--------------------

#41 2018-03-17 10:08:39

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

johnraff wrote:

Display Manager:

6) Allow auto-login.

7) Look pretty.

Most of these can be done from the command line, but with more complication, especially 3).

Thank you for the list, appreciate seeing the details. Thinking about it - having autologin on encrypted partition, which requires password anyway - actually it'd make sense to configure a setup without display manager. If there is "change of user", that's intended to be always from within the session. I don't change the desktop or locale often.
As a side note I can remember looking for a way NOT to get the user list shown in the display manager, but it was not possible. On the other hand I'm not sure how many users do care about having a DM-agnostic system, but it's surely a cool feature for those who care about it.

#42 2018-03-18 11:14:15

johnraff
nullglob
Website

martix wrote:

...looking for a way NOT to get the user list shown in the display manager, but it was not possible.

It is possible. In fact it's the Debian default! We changed it to display users in response to requests here on the forum.

If you want to hide the users at login, edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf or Menu>System>Login Settings
Find greeter-hide-users in the [Seat:*] section and set it to true:

greeter-hide-users=true

John
--------------------

#43 2018-03-19 13:08:22

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

^Indeed, thank you for the correction. The issue I was recalling wasn't about hiding the user list. It was something about getting only the logged in user showed after a lock screen. According to the last post in that thread (created a few weeks later) it looks like this feature - or similar - might have been available. Right now luckily I don't have to change the username after a lock screen, only typing the password is required.

Board footer