You are not logged in.

#26 2017-11-03 13:40:27

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

Re: Host a website

bjmag94 wrote:

Okay my URL is now loading, but only from inside my network, how do I allow public access?
Do I add to the .conf file?

AllowOverride All
Require all granted

?

No. It is question of your connection to your 'ISP'.
How exactly are you connected to the internet? Do you have static or dynamic IP? Are you connected to the internet via wireless access point (router/gateway)?

If you are 'normal' (private) ISP customer, then you most probably have WiFI access point with the dynamic IP address; do the following:
- configure your wifi router to route incoming traffic on port '80' to your local IP with the apache server (so called 'port forwarding')
- discover your public IP with, for example, here

Now, ask somebody on different ISP connection to check if http://your-publicIP-from-second-step/ works.
(For example, you could connect to internet via mobile phone for this step.)

Note: this business with 'public-IP' probably isn't the solution you want, since this public IP is most probably reset to new (random) value once in a day.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#27 2017-11-03 14:00:47

bjmag94

iMBeCil wrote:
bjmag94 wrote:

Okay my URL is now loading, but only from inside my network, how do I allow public access?
Do I add to the .conf file?

AllowOverride All
Require all granted

?

No. It is question of your connection to your 'ISP'.
How exactly are you connected to the internet? Do you have static or dynamic IP? Are you connected to the internet via wireless access point (router/gateway)?

If you are 'normal' (private) ISP customer, then you most probably have WiFI access point with the dynamic IP address; do the following:
- configure your wifi router to route incoming traffic on port '80' to your local IP with the apache server (so called 'port forwarding')
- discover your public IP with, for example, here

Now, ask somebody on different ISP connection to check if http://your-publicIP-from-second-step/ works.
(For example, you could connect to internet via mobile phone for this step.)

Note: this business with 'public-IP' probably isn't the solution you want, since this public IP is most probably reset to new (random) value once in a day.

Yes connected via wi-fi, umm not sure if I have a dynamic or static IP, I have never really taken any notice, and my modem is on 24/7.
Port forwarding all set up, has been for a while since I started using wamp..
I only used 127.0.0.1 for the IP with that, and that could be accessed publicly.
I will turn my modem off then back on to work out if it is static or dynamic

#28 2017-11-03 14:11:51

bjmag94

It didn't change after turning the modem/router off and back on, so I would guess that it is a dynamic IP

#29 2017-11-03 14:14:33

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

^OK, then fnnd out what is your public IP, and try to connect to that address.

However, I don't know if it will work from your local IP, since you are in the network where port 80 is forwarded ... (actually, I cannot remember should it work or not).

If you want, send me your public IP address on PM (not here on forum!), and I can try to connect.

#30 2017-11-03 14:47:14

bjmag94

iMBeCil wrote:

However, I don't know if it will work from your local IP, since you are in the network where port 80 is forwarded ... (actually, I cannot remember should it work or not).

If you want, send me your public IP address on PM (not here on forum!), and I can try to connect.

Okay so set the IP in the hosts files? Then try to connect?

#31 2017-11-03 14:59:02

bjmag94

What I might do is do a fresh install of BL 8, that way I can start it all now from scratch, and hopefully get it all up and running.
Thank you, then go from there, and work out stuff via google, which has been my friend, just not everything is helping me, or I am doing things wrong haha

#32 2017-11-03 17:05:59

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

bjmag94 wrote:
iMBeCil wrote:

Okay so set the IP in the hosts files? Then try to connect?

No. Discover your public IP address, and then try to open web browser and enter

http://your-public-IP-address/

in your browser. If it works, then it means that your page is accessible from outside.

#33 2017-11-03 17:08:57

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

bjmag94 wrote:

What I might do is do a fresh install of BL 8, that way I can start it all now from scratch, and hopefully get it all up and running.

This is completely normal ... I remember when I was setting up my very first (web) server ... I have had several reinstall. That's why I like virtual machines and snapshots cool

You're welcome.  wink

#34 2017-11-04 02:47:48

bjmag94

iMBeCil wrote:
bjmag94 wrote:

This is completely normal ... I remember when I was setting up my very first (web) server ... I have had several reinstall. That's why I like virtual machines and snapshots cool

You're welcome.  wink

Thank you, umm I have it all pointed to go to my DIR but it is showing default apache2 page?
I have deleted the www folder and still no change, also do I need the www folder?

#35 2017-11-04 02:54:14

bjmag94

Sorry that was the html folder not he www folder

#36 2017-11-04 05:09:51

hhh
That's easy!
Website

Administrator note (hhh), moved to Administration, this is beyond the scope of basic help and support.

In addition, I don't think this is the right forum for this question as it's a rather complex topic that's not necessarily even Linux related, but that's just my opinion and we're pretty tolerant, so feel free to continue.

#37 2017-11-04 23:13:25

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

It didn't change after turning the modem/router off and back on, so I would guess that it is a dynamic IP

That it didn't change in doing that indicates you do have a static IP for your connection. Seems highly probable you'd definitely have encountered issues while using WAMP to access your system remotely, if you ever had a dynamic IP. Mentioned a work around for those w/o static IP, DDNS = dynamic domain name server setup.

I used to use that trick of shutting down modem to change IP and get a new one assigned to jump ban on various forums/chats. tongue Really annoying getting shutdown right in the middle of a good flamewar or cyber-brawl. Esp when ya got the other guy on the ropes and closing in for the kill.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-11-04 23:18:14)

#38 2017-11-04 23:29:22

bjmag94

BLizgreat! wrote:

That it didn't change in doing that indicates you do have a static IP for your connection. Seems highly probable you'd definitely have encountered issues while using WAMP to access your system remotely, if you ever had a dynamic IP. Mentioned a work around for those w/o static IP, DDNS = dynamic domain name server setup.

I used to use that trick of shutting down modem to change IP and get a new one assigned to jump ban on various forums/chats. tongue Really annoying getting shutdown right in the middle of a good flamewar or cyber-brawl. Esp when ya got the other guy on the ropes and closing in for the kill.

I actually didn't encounter any issues with WAMP.
Only problems I had was error messages, so I turnt error reporting off in the php.ini file and that fix that, all the errors were just because I am half way through converting to mysqli.
I have no problem with my site loading remotely, it's just not displaying what I have in my DocumentRoot, it is displaying from the html directory..
I have tested this as I put a index.html file in there stating that it was connected to that directory, and the directory I pointed it to, actually has all my files in it..
So is there anything else I need to change beyond that tutorial I posted?
I have gone through all the conf files, and everything like that, and can't seem to work it out..
My site is http://reunited-city.com

#39 2017-11-04 23:57:33

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Post your virtualsite. conf, guide you followed looks legit.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2017-11-04 23:58:27)

#40 2017-11-05 00:01:46

bjmag94

brontosaurusrex wrote:

Post your virtualsite. conf, guide you followed looks legit.

<VirtualHost 58.178.200.239:80>
	ServerAdmin admin@reunited-city.com
	ServerName reunited-city.com
	ServerAlias www.reunited-city.com
	DocumentRoot /var/www/reunited-city.com/public_html

ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log
	CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined
</VirtualHost>

# vim: syntax=apache ts=4 sw=4 sts=4 sr noet

#41 2017-11-05 00:16:52

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Not sure, but I would try:

Ditch the ip, use *:80
Quote the "domain.com"

#42 2017-11-05 00:18:49

bjmag94

brontosaurusrex wrote:

Not sure, but I would try:

Ditch the ip, use *:80
Quote the "domain.com"

Like so?

<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerAdmin admin@reunited-city.com
	ServerName "reunited-city.com"
	ServerAlias www.reunited-city.com
	DocumentRoot /var/www/reunited-city.com/public_html

ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log
	CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined
</VirtualHost>

# vim: syntax=apache ts=4 sw=4 sts=4 sr noet

#43 2017-11-05 01:03:33

bjmag94

Would someone be able to test and see if my site is working outside of my network? Thank you

#44 2017-11-05 09:57:33

ohnonot
...again
Website

#45 2017-11-05 09:59:59

bjmag94

Thank you, I have noticed when trying to use www. at the start of the URL it won't load..

#46 2017-11-05 10:26:03

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

So you made it work? Perhaps explain what was the issues and how was fixed, so others can gain from this thread. Thanks.

#47 2017-11-05 10:43:14

bjmag94

brontosaurusrex wrote:

So you made it work? Perhaps explain what was the issues and how was fixed, so others can gain from this thread. Thanks.

I added the quotation marks around the domain.
And removed the IP and put a * there instead

#48 2017-11-05 10:50:20

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Ok, good to know smile

#49 2017-11-05 13:10:07

bjmag94

brontosaurusrex wrote:

Ok, good to know smile

Yes thank you for the help, I appreciate it smile