You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-15 05:05:31

KrunchTime

Sloppy Backports?

I was reading the recent Debian Project News (DPN) email yesterday and read about sloppy backports.  From the Debian backports page:

To guarantee a clean upgrade path from a previously stable distribution to the next stable it is not allowed to upload packages from the current testing to that backport distribution. To allow some newer packages for those systems we create so called sloppy distributions. For oldstable (jessie) packages from the current testing (stretch) are allowed to be uploaded to jessie-backports-sloppy.

Here's the actual online post:
https://backports.debian.org/news/stretch-backports/

Another cool feature of Debian Project News is a list of new packages that have made their way to the Unstable repo, meaning eventually they may make their way to stable.  I saw some interesting packages that I want to checkout.

Shout out to Corenominal for making the decision to move #! from Ubuntu to Debian.   big_smile

Last edited by KrunchTime (2017-08-15 05:14:37)

#2 2017-08-16 02:11:34

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Sloppy Backports?

Just FYI there is already a dedicated news thread, depending on how much feedback you're expecting on a particular topic. The final decision is yours of course.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3 2017-08-16 03:21:06

p9000

Wow. I've read that paragraph 5 times. I still have no idea what it says. Reading the full announcement didn't help either.

I miss Mandrake sad Packaging tools made sense, even though I was a noob back then.

#4 2017-08-16 03:39:57

KrunchTime

johnraff wrote:

Just FYI there is already a dedicated news thread, depending on how much feedback you're expecting on a particular topic. The final decision is yours of course.

Thank you for the feedback.  Technically, it would only affect BL if a user opts to use the repo.  I will try to keep your suggestion in mind the next time I run across something like this.

p9000 wrote:

Wow. I've read that paragraph 5 times. I still have no idea what it says. Reading the full announcement didn't help either.

Yeah, I had to read it a number of times as well.  It didn't help that they referenced Stretch as the current Testing branch.  Basically, I think the sloppy repo allows devs to backport packages from the new Testing (now Buster) for use in Old Stable (now Jessie).  I was hoping someone who knows more about it or has used it would chime in with more info.  As it stands, I'm itching to upgrade to Helium-dev, so it's kind of a mute point for me now.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2017-08-16 03:51:51)

Board footer