You are not logged in.

#26 2017-03-11 20:05:36

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: What is the most stupid thing you did on linux?

@martix: testdisk/photorec. remember it was an ntfs partition, and no windows rescue disk was handy wink

cpoakes wrote:

Aren't "rm -rf *"; "chmod -R ... *"; and "dd of=/dev/wrong ..." rights of passage for unix/linux sysadmins? Haven't been there yet? Stick with it for 20 years.

none of these have happened to me yet, but then again i haven't been at it even for a decade...

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#27 2017-03-20 22:57:53

KrunchTime

I decided to try out Antergos on another partition.  During the install process, there was a question about whether or not you had EFI.  Dumb me, I really didn't understand what that meant and opted for that option.  After the install completed and I rebooted, no more CrunchBang, only Antergos.  Can't remember what I did or used, but I was able to undo the damage done.  Whew!

#28 2017-03-20 23:01:28

twoion
ほやほや

KrunchTime wrote:

I decided to try out Antergos on another partition.  During the install process, there was a question about whether or not you had EFI.  Dumb me, I really didn't understand what that meant and opted for that option.  After the install completed and I rebooted, no more CrunchBang, only Antergos.  Can't remember what I did or used, but I was able to undo the damage done.  Whew!

One good thing of EFI is that I can install any number of distros and still do not have to care about bootloader configuration. It's not nice and clean (like efficient – one bootloader and such), but on my computer I have Arch and a backup Debian system, each has its own GRUB so if I totally hose one I can boot into the other via EFI shell.

Per aspera ad astra.

#29 2017-03-21 01:56:18

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Well it may not be my stupidest.. but it's my most recent big stupid.. tried backporting webkitgtk on a really ancient computer.. it's been chugging away for a week, and isn't done yet..

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#30 2017-03-21 10:39:08

twoion
ほやほや

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

Well it may not be my stupidest.. but it's my most recent big stupid.. tried backporting webkitgtk on a really ancient computer.. it's been chugging away for a week, and isn't done yet..

Maybe just cross-compile? Instead of -march=native using a CPU instruction set the old machine is familiar with.

Per aspera ad astra.

#31 2017-03-21 10:49:08

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

That would have been the sensible thing to do, well simply compiling on a faster box, but it's most of the way through now anyway.. and if I do that.. then I'll have wasted all that time.. if I let it complete.. it only took a long time.

If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#32 2017-03-22 22:25:02

KrunchTime

^...but what if it doesn't complete?   devil

#33 2017-03-23 08:25:53

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Then it moves higher up my personal list of "stupidest things" .. which it turns out to have done, and I have the dilemma.. do I try the backport on something faster and try to troubleshoot the failure (probably above my skill level to do), or do a Stretch / Helium netinstall.  Either way, owing to a bug related to the hardware (Debian bug #783293) I need webkitgtk >= 2.4.9-3 and Jessie / Hydrogen only has 2.4.9-1 with nothing in backports.

#34 2017-03-24 02:56:25

stevep
MX Linux Developer

There was a backport of 2.4.11 in jessie-backports, and we rebuilt it for the MX repo, but it seems to be causing some problems because Debian disabled the libwebkit2gtk-3.0 packages from the build, and it was pulled from the backports repo.

Just by happenstance, I've been rebuilding the Ubuntu xenial 2.4.11 webkitgtk packages today, because they did not remove that, so I'm hoping that cures the issue on MX.  It took up ~12GB of disk space after the package build, and some parts of the compile ate up about 4.5GB of RAM...I would guess that your older machine spent most of that week just swapping out to the swap file if it didn't have enough RAM.

I tried building the jessie-backports version a few months ago on the openSUSE Build Service, but the Jessie virtual machines would run out of RAM and just die.  Maybe they've upgraded...let me try again there and see if they catch fire and halt again.

Last edited by stevep (2017-03-24 03:13:20)

#35 2017-03-24 18:00:41

stevep
MX Linux Developer

The 32-bit backport actually succeeded, but the 64-bit ran out of memory again after nearly two hours of compiling.  If you need only that version, it might fit your needs:  https://software.opensuse.org//download … tk-3.0-dev

Edit:  I tested the upgrade on a 32-bit Jessie-based distro, and it went smoothly, without any smoke coming out of the machine...YMMV, no guarantees.

I triggered a rebuild of 64-bit on the OBS to see if it might work on the another try, but this might just be a case of 64-bit applications using more memory.

The commands to add the keys should also be run as root, not sudo.

Last edited by stevep (2017-03-24 19:16:59)

#36 2017-03-25 00:01:19

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Hmmmm, wonder if I should list them numerically, alphabetically or in order of magnitude? 

No matter, its never been so bad that this how2 by a kickbutt nixer, aka: Xaos52, couldn't pull my arse from the fire.

Lotsa times it's just as good to chroot from another gnu/Nix OS installed or just use the recovery options on the ailing install/partition.

Though when things really get hectic, it's Xaos52's method I turn to. Sheesh, should stop calling him the good doctor and change that to great doctor.

He's saved me so many hrs of hair pulling, it's ridiculous.

Vlx52! = Yep, Viva la Xaos52 ! smile

#37 2017-03-25 07:11:42

ohnonot
...again
Website

oops, wrong thread.

Last edited by ohnonot (2017-03-25 07:12:28)

my repos / my repos
---

#38 2017-04-16 00:13:26

GutsAndGlory!
Website

Accidentally installing an OS on the USB Key you're using to install from instead of the hard disk on a really broken computer.

Mess up the password on a fresh install you're doing for a friend and inserting the wrong password correctly upon first boot.

Trying out Windows 8 on a physical computer.

/media/user/SERIAL-NUMBER$ rm -rf /

Last edited by GutsAndGlory! (2017-04-16 00:14:19)

The world won't change for the better unless we trust people. Trust is vital in a peaceful world but that will never happen.

« Yo buddy, still alive? »

#39 2017-05-06 01:33:33

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

Just the usual stuff. Running DD on the wrong partition, corrupting the bootloader, typing the wrong password in both fields, etc.

And, judging by my lack of success over the last hour or so, it would seem I'm too stupid to build a custom kernel that includes support for my laptop's trackpad. I'm convinced I've tried everything, and yet the device refuses to be recognized by the kernel. It's probably something simple, and I'll eventually end up saying, "D'oh!" But, for now, I'm racking my brain.

Last edited by jdonaghy (2017-05-06 01:34:10)

#40 2017-05-06 05:06:13

dhalgren

Deleted /home when reinstalling. Lost so much work.

#41 2017-05-06 05:52:19

damo
....moderator....

^ I did a Shift-Delete on a directory, and didn't notice that it was /home/damo that was active  monkey

But I had a backup  angel

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#42 2017-05-06 07:09:45

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ pressing shift-delete in a graphical filemanager has become second nature.
shift, delete and enter (for confirmation) are really close together and i have developed a sort of wavy finger movement that does this in the fraction of a second.
that's a really bad habit.

my repos / my repos
---

#43 2017-05-06 08:49:04

dhalgren

damo wrote:

^ I did a Shift-Delete on a directory, and didn't notice that it was /home/damo that was active  monkey

But I had a backup  angel

I have three backups now, and I rotate them, so I always have up-to-date, almost up-to-date, and why-bother?

#44 2017-05-06 13:46:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Btrfs snapshots are fantastic for quick undeletes glasses

The only problem then is the carelessness that inevitably ensues... roll

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#45 2017-05-06 17:15:11

stevep
MX Linux Developer

jdonaghy wrote:

Just the usual stuff. Running DD on the wrong partition, corrupting the bootloader, typing the wrong password in both fields, etc.

And, judging by my lack of success over the last hour or so, it would seem I'm too stupid to build a custom kernel that includes support for my laptop's trackpad. I'm convinced I've tried everything, and yet the device refuses to be recognized by the kernel. It's probably something simple, and I'll eventually end up saying, "D'oh!" But, for now, I'm racking my brain.

That sounds interesting--if you start a new thread, maybe we can suss out what's going awry.

#46 2017-05-16 19:30:08

geekosupremo

Hmmm just ran 'vgrename' on a running and mounted LVM ... thankfully ... not production

Last edited by geekosupremo (2017-05-16 19:38:11)

#47 2017-05-16 20:36:36

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

chmod -R sector11:sector11 /media/AL-h

since it was mounted as root,  killed another distro.  Gotta reinstall.  smile

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#48 2017-05-17 07:45:32

KrunchTime

I knew the dd command could be dangerous, but....

On Monday night, I had finished my daily routine on my desktop computer.  I had one more bare hard drive to wipe, so I thought I'd start the process before taking a shower.  I set up an external hard drive docking device, inserted the bare hard drive, and started the wipe command.

I then switched to my file manager to do something and it wouldn't respond.  I also noticed that the size of my home folder kept changing.  I then tried to run Gnome System Monitor to kill the non-responding file manager, but Gnome System Monitor wouldn't start.  Oh well, I thought, must be the dd command bogging things down.

I then checked the status of the wipe procedure and was surprised at how quickly it was progressing.  I was attempting to wipe a bare Seagate hard drive and the last one I wiped took over 50 hours, approximately 10GB per hour for a 500GB drive.  The wipe procedure I had just started was already over 10GB in 10 minutes. yikes

So, I went to wipe the hard drive in a laptop I'm going to take to a local electronics recycling center.  I started that wipe procedure and went back to check the status of wiping the bare Seagate drive.  The status showed 140Gb, and I thought, wait, that can't be right.  The drive is only 100GB.  So I checked the drive and sure enough it showed 100GB on the label.

Then it dawned on me...instead of typing dd of=/dev/sdb, I typed dd of=/dev/sda.  I had followed the example I had in my Linux tips database without thinking.  I was wiping the hard drive on my desktop instead of the bare Seagate hard drive.  Face plant!  So now I'm spending time re-installing everything on my desktop.   cry

#49 2017-05-17 14:33:44

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

KrunchTime wrote:

So now I'm spending time re-installing everything on my desktop.

OH MY!  Backups?  Please, please say yes!

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#50 2017-05-17 16:21:55

Nili
Website

I was about to break a lot of files on my phone yesterday by making a stupid remove command. Fortunately, the phone did not accept my idiotic command, And so I have stayed rescued.

WM: Openbox / Tint2

Studio Ghibli

Board footer