You are not logged in.

#26 2017-03-22 11:03:00

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: [DONE] RFT experimental beep-free Deuterium amd64 and i386 isos

re: volumed, no to bringing it back. I forgot that we had replaced it and volti, and our solution worked beautifully on my hardware (and pleasantly surprised me, since I'd forgotten!)

re: Mirage, ok, that does sound messy. Users will open it if they don't know what it is.

#27 2017-03-22 15:29:08

damo
....moderator....

johnraff wrote:

hhh wrote:

conky now needs argb=yes, I think.

What I thought. I don't know if that would have implications elsewhere though.

Not always though. It is confusing, and I haven't figured out the cases when there is no transparency.

bl-exit... this is worth some consideration, I think, and I hate it that @Xaos is M.I.A. Till Doctor Xaos returns, maybe someone who knows python could have a look?

On a related point, the width needs to have a minimum value, depending on icon size. ATM it is possible to get them superimposed. And scalable svg icons would be the way to go to avoid the issue - but my limited python thinks it isn't a trivial problem! I have been investigating though.....

Mirage under Graphics, can we rename the menu entry to "Mirage Image Viewer" for clarity? If you install GIMP, Inkscape, etc... I'd expect you to know a bit about it, but Mirage comes OOTB, making the entry a bit cryptic IMO.....The  "Graphics" submenu is made by bl-graphics-pipemenu. Menu names are generated automatically from package names, so that would mean coding in a special exception for Mirage - not impossible but... a bit messy. But, how often do people open an image viewer without passing it a file to open? That's why there's no top-level menu item for "Image Viewer".

My personal bl-graphics-pipemenu is full of "extras" (Mandelbulber2, MB3D in wine, Blender devel, Gimp devel), so adding an exeception for Mirage is simple, and would make it more polished.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#28 2017-03-23 00:15:53

damo
....moderator....

For bespoke Mirage menu entry in bl-graphics-pipemenu, edit the script to...

menuStart
    for curApp in "${GRAPHICS_APPS[@]}"; do
        if [[ ${AppStatus[$curApp]} = installed ]]; then
	    if [[ $curApp = mirage ]];then
		menuItem "${AppName[$curApp]} image viewer" "$curApp"
		continue
	    fi
            menuItem "${AppName[$curApp]}" "$curApp"
        fi
    done

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#29 2017-03-23 05:49:16

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^That would do it.

...till we swap out Mirage for some other default image viewer that is.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#30 2017-03-23 06:37:37

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

I was on AC power, which means there's a nasty gap in the systray because fdpowermon has no icon for that.

I just re-thought that: there should of course be an icon for when the machine is plugged in, ie one of the "charging" icons. So, I guess you mean being on AC power with no battery in the computer, right?

Have a look at /usr/bin/fdpowermon which is heavily commented, and /etc/fdpowermon/theme.cfg where the default theme is defined. There is an icon in /usr/share/icons/oxygen/22x22/status called battery-missing.png which is referred to for a low discharging state, but it's not at all clear if fdpowermon will use it when there is no battery at all. I kind of suspect not.

EDIT: It's a long-standing (nota)bug: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=676213

Last edited by johnraff (2017-03-23 06:47:28)

#31 2017-03-23 11:32:06

hhh
Meep!
Website

> I guess you mean being on AC power with no battery in the computer, right?

Brilliant deduction! smile My battery died so I removed it to save weight and I case it ruptured. I didn't even think that a power manager would be affected.

#32 2017-03-24 01:01:17

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Anyway, it looks as if the fdpowermon dev considers the lack of an icon when there's no battery to be a Good Thing™.

#33 2017-03-31 09:09:18

johnraff
nullglob
Website

damo wrote:

For bespoke Mirage menu entry in bl-graphics-pipemenu, edit the script to...

menuStart
    for curApp in "${GRAPHICS_APPS[@]}"; do
        if [[ ${AppStatus[$curApp]} = installed ]]; then
	    if [[ $curApp = mirage ]];then
		menuItem "${AppName[$curApp]} image viewer" "$curApp"
		continue
	    fi
            menuItem "${AppName[$curApp]}" "$curApp"
        fi
    done

Thinking about this some more: if "mirage" was replaced by "$default_img_vwr" then it would be easier to change.
More, we could set $default_img_vwr to whatever app the user had set as bl-image-viewer. cool
Probably also possible to make sure that entry comes at the top of the menu.

#34 2017-03-31 18:35:20

hhh
Meep!
Website

^ That works for me, since I always switch Mirage for Gpicview. wink

#35 2017-04-01 02:10:46

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Me too, that or viewnior. In fact Mirage had a bug whereby metadata was lost after rotating an image: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=513025 This annoyed me enough to get rid of it, but seems to be fixed in 0.9.5.2-1 in Stretch.

#36 2017-04-13 13:35:10

hhh
Meep!
Website

Stickying this until Deuterium is released.

#37 2017-04-14 04:32:47

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I've moved the sticky glue from here to the new Release Candidate iso post.

#38 2017-05-11 21:28:18

linux_user

Did any one face a problem with CapsLock? My live system as well as the installed system both have the CapsLock key configured to act as Ctrl.

Xev says the CapsLock key is Control_L. How do I change it back to CapsLock in rc.xml?

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#39 2017-05-11 21:34:54

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

linux_user wrote:

Did any one face a problem with CapsLock?

Try removing line 35 in ~/.config/openbox/autostart

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#40 2017-05-11 22:14:34

linux_user

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Perfect!

#41 2017-05-12 04:49:57

hhh
Meep!
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
linux_user wrote:

Did any one face a problem with CapsLock?

Freaking brilliant troubleshooting there, ace!

#42 2017-05-12 06:30:43

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ big_smile

Actually, I was wondering why we added that line?

Should it not have a comment at the start?

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#43 2017-05-12 06:44:43

johnraff
nullglob
Website

The guy you want to ask is right there^^ It was hhh's suggestion I seem to recall, but capslock annoys so many people that it certainly made sense at the time.

#44 2017-05-12 07:12:18

linux_user

I think from a general perspective it has to be commented. CapsLock should be left as it is. I do acknowledge that some people find CapsLock annoying, but I guess they always have the option to disable it.

In my opinion, it's much better to leave it as it is for a larger userbase, rather than change it for a smaller section of people.

#45 2017-05-13 03:53:22

linux_user

Is it just me or everyone that's seeing a spacer on the notification area (between sound and network icons)?

Screenshot

Another thing I noticex is, Alt+Print, takes a screenshot of the page. RC.xml specifies that the image has to be saved in ~/Pictures/screenshots. But the folder screenshots doesn't exist by default inside the Pictures The files are saved in the home folder instead.

Ideally, if there is any fix it should create the folder automatically while taking a screenprint using Alt+Print.

Last edited by linux_user (2017-05-13 03:54:35)

#46 2017-05-13 07:43:47

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@linux_user thank you for your feedback - it's always appreciated.

linux_user wrote:

I do acknowledge that some people find CapsLock annoying, but I guess they always have the option to disable it. In my opinion, it's much better to leave it as it is for a larger userbase, rather than change it for a smaller section of people.

At the time we thought the people who found capslock annoying were the majority! If it looks as if a lot of people would prefer the default setup we can go back to that.

Is it just me or everyone that's seeing a spacer on the notification area (between sound and network icons)?

That happens on a desktop system (no battery) with fdpowermon installed, which is the default BL setup. If you run bl-welcome (it should start automatically after the first install) it will detect a desktop machine and offer to remove fdpowermon. Then the space will disappear.

Another thing I noticex is, Alt+Print, takes a screenshot of the page. RC.xml specifies that the image has to be saved in ~/Pictures/screenshots. But the folder screenshots doesn't exist by default inside the Pictures

~/Pictures/screenshot in fact should exist by default. However, this will not be the case if you install BL packages over a pre-existing system. Then you'll have to make the directory yourself I'm afraid (or edit rc.xml). If you look in /usr/share/bunsen/skel you'll see the default files and directories that a new user will get.

#47 2017-05-13 11:07:37

linux_user

johnraff wrote:

At the time we thought the people who found capslock annoying were the majority! If it looks as if a lot of people would prefer the default setup we can go back to that.

I am trying to understand who is this iso built for? I am not sure it's for general public, cos it looks to be customized according to the tastes of certain people/members.  So, I'd leave the choice going back or not upto you. smile But if you intend to keep CapsLock as Ctrl, I would suggest a mention somewhere so that the user understands it. A good place to start would be the pop up in live system, "a placeholder for live system". After all there is nothing so much worth mentioned in it.

That happens on a desktop system (no battery) with fdpowermon installed, which is the default BL setup. If you run bl-welcome (it should start automatically after the first install) it will detect a desktop machine and offer to remove fdpowermon. Then the space will disappear.

Ah, I had run bl-welcome but it stopped right after system upgrade. Didn't run it again though. Ran sudo remove fdpowermon rebooted the system and the space has disappeared.

~/Pictures/screenshot in fact should exist by default. However, this will not be the case if you install BL packages over a pre-existing system. Then you'll have to make the directory yourself I'm afraid (or edit rc.xml). If you look in /usr/share/bunsen/skel you'll see the default files and directories that a new user will get.

I had reinstalled over an old OS, but it was completely removed and disks formatted into new partitions. In such case, a user expects a freshly new OS with the usual defaults. It would be a good idea to fix this as this issue is not know to all and simply raises questions. Alt+Print took the screen shot, opened up mirage but it always said that the image cannot be opened while they were saved in a different location. As I said, it would be a good idea to fix it. smile

Last edited by linux_user (2017-05-13 11:12:44)

#48 2017-05-13 13:02:38

ector1935

linux_user wrote:

http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/screenshot … 959ist.php

Another thing I noticex is, Alt+Print, takes a screenshot of the page. RC.xml specifies that the image has to be saved in ~/Pictures/screenshots. But the folder screenshots doesn't exist by default inside the Pictures The files are saved in the home folder instead.

Ideally, if there is any fix it should create the folder automatically while taking a screenprint using Alt+Print.

I installed 3 days ago,I do not like what you decrypt,scrot save the image in the right folder,as you can see from the sceenshot.
regards

alt print,save in foder screenshots
2017-05-13--1494680763_1600x900_scrot.th.png
screenshot atl+print saved
2017-05-13-15-11-06_scrot.th.png

Last edited by ector1935 (2017-05-13 13:15:02)

#49 2017-05-13 14:07:47

linux_user

ector1935 wrote:

I installed 3 days ago,I do not like what you decrypt,scrot save the image in the right folder,as you can see from the sceenshot.
regards

alt print,save in foder screenshots
https://cdn.scrot.moe/images/2017/05/13/2017-05-13--1494680763_1600x900_scrot.th.png
screenshot atl+print saved
https://cdn.scrot.moe/images/2017/05/13/2017-05-13-15-11-06_scrot.th.png

Was it was a fresh install? As @johnraff said,

Last edited by linux_user (2017-05-13 15:46:24)

#50 2017-05-14 03:56:23

johnraff
nullglob
Website

linux_user wrote:
johnraff wrote:

I am trying to understand who is this iso built for? I am not sure it's for general public, cos it looks to be customized according to the tastes of certain people/members.

CrunchBang was made to suit the tastes of one person, Philip Newborough. Anyone else was free to use it if they wanted to.

So, who is BunsenLabs made for? Well, we like to think it might be the same kind of people who liked CrunchBang - and there were a lot of them. That's a pretty nebulous definition, but generally the team have tried to use "common sense" as to what settings to make, and we have paid close attention to feedback we get on the forums (like yours smile )

About capslock, you can find many, many posts on the internet about how to disable it, and how so many people find it annoying. We thought the majority of our users would appreciate having it disabled, but as I said above, these points are always up for review if it seems a sizable number of our users want something changed. Especially, when it comes to changing a default setting, that's normally only done if we think there's a big majority in favour.

Board footer