You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-02 06:00:53

ohnonot
...again
Website

Where is Bunsenlabs going?

The beauty of crunchbang was that it did as little as possible to be a complete experience.
It was usable, but it was rough about the edges. It kind of invited the user to make it their own.
I don't think corenominal was a genius, I think it was laziness combined with the responsibility to create something useful, set it up properly, then leave it alone.

IMHO bunsenlabs has lost some of that, and is in the process of losing a lot more for the next release.

Some points of critique:

• the root menu: the amount of pipe/sub-menus seems to be growing all the time.

• conkymanager??? one conky is enough for a default setup!

• the exit script: on #! i used to be able to hack it without knowing the least bit of python. not anymore. it has grown to about 10x its former size. also the icons might or might not look good with the default setup, but they don't change with the icon theme.

• a whole new subset of bunsenlabs config files seems to be evolving under the hood. what for? oh yeah, of course, to keep the increasing number of options in check.

• launcher icons on the panel are redundant if the dektop is focused around openbox' root menu

• etc.

These are just some points to illustrate what I perceive. All these things are good in an individual setup, but not in a default.
I'm calling it the DE trap. Don't fall into it. Only bloat can follow.

I just installed crunchbang-11-20130506-amd64.iso in a vm in under 5 minutes, how cool is that.
try it out sometime, it's refreshing.

[ This is something I wanted to say many times in various threads, but refrained because it would derail the actual topic. ]

Last edited by ohnonot (2017-04-02 06:06:17)

#2 2017-04-02 07:18:30

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Where is Bunsenlabs going?

@ohnonot many thanks for raising this. It's a very important topic, and it will be good to get input from as many members of the community as possible.

Feature creep and gradual bloat are ailments so many software projects suffer from, and sometimes the people most closely involved in development might not notice it happening. I agree personally with several of the points you raise, but in some cases there are other reasons for how things have turned out.

First, I don't really agree that CrunchBang was "rough around the edges". When I compared it with my own clumsy efforts to put together an openbox DE (yes, I think both #! and BL are DE's, although simple ones) then #! looked very smooth, both graphically (corenominal is a web designer and has a good graphic sense IMO) and in little details all over the system. BL has been trying to emulate that. I think our graphics department have done a fantastic job. I'm lazy too, and I really appreciate not having to eg add an environment variable to get QT apps to look like GTK. Things like that.

As I write, I'm working on a yet further complication of the code behind the apps pipemenus. On the outside, the difference will be very small, just a slight increase in polish of the user interface, adjusting a little better to the user's system choices. But it's quite a lot of work, and I do tend to wonder how necessary it is.

However, I don't know where "the amount of pipe/sub-menus seems to be growing all the time" is coming from. No new pipemenus have been added since our first issue last year, and none are being planned.

"a whole new subset of bunsenlabs config files..." Could you be a bit more specific here? Where are these files being added?

The tint2 launcher icons were added as an example of how it could be done. They're easily removed. Personally, I always find it easier to put things together from a working example than by reading the manual. So, some of the bells and whistles are expected to be removed by people who don't need them. (And the desktop is not required to be "focused around openbox's root menu".) Another example is the "next desktop up" item in the file manager "Send To" right-click menu. It's not so much because it's so tremendously useful but as an example of how to add items to the "Send To" menu. (.desktop file in ~/.local/share/Thunar/sendto/)

I can see there is also an argument for the Bare Walls approach with nothing enabled beyond the essentials (that's what you get if you install XFCE on Debian, for example) but so far BL have been aiming at adding just a little furniture to the room. That could change in the future of course. This is a team, not a one-man operation like #!, and of course there is some spread between developers as to what kind of user experience we should be providing.

As I said, I also agree with several of your points (but not "etc."  tongue  ) and hope we get lots of input here from BL users!

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3 2017-04-02 10:01:08

hhh
Meep!
Website

bl-exit is a good example that we're learning from... changes were made without user input and then forced upon the user with their upgrade (I think).

We were just discussing this, the plan is to always present new ideas in the Development forum and hear everyone's thoughts, and not to make UI changes automatic. Also, we're always posting and receiving workarounds. It's easy enough to slap your own menu.xml in there.

Please give your input in those threads as they arise!
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=3542

Thanks for your honest opinion, @ohnonot.

#4 2017-04-02 11:16:33

Steve

I think if you dont try new things it may get a little bit boring and same old same old.

bl exit doesnt bother me, i actually quite like it for what i am using BL for as it takes up the whole screen and i can see it clearly sitting 10 feet away. My Blabs is used as a media center.

From my perspective, you guys and gals do a bloody great job and BL is top of my list for outstanding performance with very little outlay.

Last edited by Steve (2017-04-02 11:18:42)

#5 2017-04-02 11:37:11

thoro

I liked the simplicity of #!. BL is a worthy and successful successor, but puffs up more and more. With #! the user was still forced to deal with the System in more detail and to learn. The criticisms are not entirely unjustified. BL seems to be bloated a little.

But maybe everyone sees it differently ...

"It's just your opinion, man!"

#6 2017-04-02 14:28:29

jochen

I feel the same. I was happy with my Crunchbang setup, but I needed to upgrade to Jessie. I did a clean install of Jessie and copied all the cb-* scripts. Was running fine, except the themes were somewhere broken with gtk3. So I added the Bunsenlabs repository and installed the bunsen themes. On my new ultrabook I did a clean install of Bunsenlab Linux, but I'm not very satisfied. I had to do a lot of tweaking to get the same behaviour of Crunchbang before. bl-exit is a good example, that was my first action, to replace it with cb-exit. Now there are lots of wrapper scripts for everything. After installing my favourite text editor "geany" I now have 3 editors in context menus. 2 bl editors plus geany. It's a lot of work to clean that up (and surely it was a lot of work for the bunsen team also, to create all these unnecessary things).

#7 2017-04-02 16:44:09

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

Well, I agree with a lot of the points ohnonot brought up.  For this reason I use my own build of OB Menu that has been with me since my #! days.

Update and dist-upgrade still gets all the "BL related" files but they do not get activated as my ~/.config is different as well.

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#8 2017-04-02 22:43:35

Temetka

Personally I came to BL after #! died when I was originally planning moving to #!. I found BL as a result and I've been mostly happy.

That was until I tried to get some things working properly on a newer 3rd generation i5 laptop. Sleep is broken for me. Also had some courrption of tint2 icons.

To me I would be focusing on making things that most people use working 100%, then add on some fluff. I approach it from this mindset. I do the same at work. What are the top 10 thing everyone expects to just work without any fiddling?

1. Wifi
2. Grpahics acceleration
3. Power subsystem

etc and so on. Make those work 100% on 95% of the devices. If you know there are patches and workarounds, why not include instead of making the user do it?

Overall BL is on the the best distro's I've used but IMO it needs some polish in the engine bay.

The meaning of life is to just be alive. It is so plain and so obvious
    and so simple. And yet everybody rushes aroound in a great panic
             as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.
                                                                                                             - Alan Watts

#9 2017-04-03 01:46:20

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Temetka wrote:

If you know there are patches and workarounds, why not include instead of making the user do it?

That's easy to answer - because different users need different workarounds. When there is a patch that works for everyone, we do try to include it, but always welcome bug reports!

jochen wrote:

After installing my favourite text editor "geany" I now have 3 editors in context menus. 2 bl editors plus geany. It's a lot of work to clean that up

I don't quite understand what happened there. In fact, geany is the default text editor in BunsenLabs, and you shouldn't have had to do anything at all to have a good working system. "bl-text-editor" in that case just means Geany. I would suggest choosing bl-text-editor in your right-click menus, and setting it as the default. The reason for bl-text-editor is that if a user comes to prefer some other editor they can just install it, remove geany, and all their scripts and menus will continue to work as before.

hhh wrote:

bl-exit is a good example that we're learning from... changes were made without user input...

I must humbly beg to differ here. See my post on the bl-exit thread: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 373#p48373 Users were given ample opportunity to give input over the 9 pages of xaos52's original discussion. Maybe there's something more we can do to get participation in the techy discussions?

EDIT: similar discussions long ago on whether to have those tint2 launcher icons:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=40617
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=478

But I do very much appreciate ohnonot's bringing up of this topic.

Last edited by johnraff (2017-04-03 03:48:30)

John
--------------------

#10 2017-04-03 06:53:33

ohnonot
...again
Website

johnraff wrote:

@ohnonot many thanks for raising this. It's a very important topic, and it will be good to get input from as many members of the community as possible.

thank you.

However, I don't know where "the amount of pipe/sub-menus seems to be growing all the time" is coming from. No new pipemenus have been added since our first issue last year, and none are being planned.

"a whole new subset of bunsenlabs config files..." Could you be a bit more specific here? Where are these files being added?

i was comparing crunchbang to bunsenlabs. of course the upcoming new release, and the increased discussion of (new) features, might have triggered that. but really i'm looking at the whole "evolving from crunchbang" development.
like you said, sometimes the people involved closely don't even notice it.
i invite everybody to simply load up both BL and #! in a vm and make comparisons.
btw, i'm still hosting the #! waldorf .isos.

#11 2017-04-03 13:12:28

MALsPa

I used to run CrunchBang. Now BunsenLabs is one of my favorite distros. All I really want is a quick and easy Debian + Openbox installation. I'm not overly concerned about what else gets added in, but for me, less is better. I really appreciate all the work that has gone into putting this distro out there. I took advantage of having a BunsenLabs installation, used it to get some ideas for doing a Debian Stretch netinstall with only Openbox, which has turned out quite well. Good luck with whatever you decide for the next BL release, can't wait to take it for a spin!

#12 2017-04-04 03:32:29

Temetka

johnraff wrote:
Temetka wrote:

If you know there are patches and workarounds, why not include instead of making the user do it?

That's easy to answer - because different users need different workarounds. When there is a patch that works for everyone, we do try to include it, but always welcome bug reports!.

Fair enough, a point worth considering.

Thanks for the response. smile

- Alan Watts

#13 2017-04-04 05:08:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Just to emphasize, @Temetka, and everyone, we do really appreciate reports when you have issues of any kind, so please keep on posting them! Sometimes when a fix is found, it does indeed turn out to apply to all, or at least most, users and we are eager to put it in BunsenLabs if possible.

John
--------------------

#14 2017-04-05 19:56:25

damo
....moderator....

It is a fine balance between providing a nice template for those who would like to build on it, and providing enough OOTB functionality for noobs. It is tough to be l33t enough and inclusive enough!

conkymanager??? one conky is enough for a default setup!

The Conky boys would probably say that the Conky threads on #!, and now BL, are possibly the goto resource on the web for Conky fans. One is enough for a default setup, but once you start playing with it.....

The same goes for Tint2!  smile

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#15 2017-04-05 20:56:25

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

I'm a conky nut!  Everyone knows that.

I put together the few default conkys that Bunsen comes with.  More than one just for some samples.

After that it's about tweaking.

Then came a discussion on "moving conkys around the screen". That raised a few eyebrows.

And I have do admit while I don't use damo's conky manager, it was rough, damo took it to new heights, conkyzen!  I think it's one slick piece of code to enhance the conky experience here. Just that my setup is unlike others have, not to many people run different conkys on different desktops.

Agree with tint2 tweaking, I've got a dozen of those so that's addictive as well - and even compton to some degree, I have 7 different config files for that.

#16 2017-04-06 06:01:09

Temetka

^ script all the things

- Alan Watts

#17 2017-05-24 09:17:02

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Prepareth ye's for a WOB = Wall of babble, just like the good ole #! dys. tongue

I approve of the multiple conky's thing. People like bling and conky is a good way to give it w/o extreme overhead. People experienced with gnu/Nix will have no problem tweaking BL to taste, whereas majority of newer users ... not so much.

Clearly people like appealing appearances, so seems a good and sensible way to give it to them. Why not go for popularity and hopefully at some point why not monetize it too ? Many of the cool nixers here are going to be putting in the effort whether 20 people or 300,000 people are using the result of their efforts.

Though they'd be ( could be) more focused if it also paid off me thinks and in the end would benefit everyone involved. The maintainers, userbase and the distro. There are plenty of passive ways to monetize a distro w/o being rude, in your face or imposing on it's userbase.

ie: Like the make a donation now prompt at the end of the last ubuntu installer I ever used. big_smile Anything but subtle eh.

People new to gnu/nix can still be encouraged to learn and be self sufficient. Think a good chunk of people simply have no such interest anyway.

So am saying, why not go for the gold fella's.

Think Corenominal is/was a genius in his software config tastes. Crunchbang has forever left a lasting impression on how I view OS's and gnu/linux configuration. Though believe he was also too nice a guy to leverage what he created and got burnt out on dealing with it.

He came, he saw ... he made a kickbutt distro and then moved on. Guy made a few 1/2 hearted efforts at unobtrusively monetizing #! and he could've imo actually did quite well if he'd been more focused on that aspect of open source, shrugs.

As for bloat creep or whatever, sure it's something to watch out for but the nixers here are aware and experienced/skilled nixers. So I'm not worried too much about it. Would actually like to see BL deviate from the #! tradition or at least push harder in ways Core didn't. Here and there attempts were made but ended up wishy/washy. Can't really blame the guy, #! was not his life. Continue to be grateful to and have respect for Corenominal. Kinda pissed he threw in the towel but that's his choice.

Things such as latest browsers, option of tweaked kernels ... ie: Liquorix or whichever. Other various junk, as long as it's fully Debian compatible and stays that way I don't see the harm in applying some tweakage to make BL stand-out. Another, LOWER THE DAM swappiness ootb. Have only ever seen one distro (PClinuxOS) who took the initiative to implement this older than dirt common sense tweak. tongue

So where is BL heading ? Hopefully into a longggggg and bright future. smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-24 09:38:31)

#18 2017-05-24 11:12:37

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Also really isn't my place to say, just throwing in a couple babble cents fellows. Thumbs up in carrying on the #! kickbutt minimal tradition but don't think that should so much mean, carrying on or making the same mistakes #! did or missing out on opportunities to push the envelope either.

May kickbutt Debian/BL minimalism carry on and spread far and wide !!! Arghhhh !

Vll! smile

#19 2017-05-24 14:21:46

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Yep me again ... sheesh, did you guys put me on mute or what ? big_smile

Anyway this, reminded me of this, long ago suggested just that very conky type thing for #!. Also buncha others, including lower swappiness and default of 60 is flatout retarded. It's been retarded for probably going on 10yrs. Especially for any distro likely to attract desktop nixers on lower spec hardware.

Errrrr ... no it's just flat out retarded period. Not really sure there is a point here. Just babble and some observations. I say more conky's dammit ! Clickable conky's, dazzling conky's !!! Though be damned if I'm learning lua. big_smile

More tint2ness, better tint2age !!!!! Ahhhhhhh, also just for the record, still don't run any and still consider conky as bloat but judicious use of bloat to good purpose makes sense. tongue

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-24 14:52:13)

#20 2017-05-24 15:19:30

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

Sector11 wrote:

HEY GEORGE!  THE MUTE BUTTON BROKE AGAIN!

WOW ... what you suggested has happened.

--- We pause now for some psychological treatment of BLizg ---

Sector11 is saying

BLizgreat, look into my eyes, look deeply into my eyes, "Conky is not bloat. Conky is not bloat. Conky is not bloat. Conky is not bloat. Conky is not bloat. Conky is not bloat. Conky is not bloat. Conky is not bloat. Conky is not bloat. CONKY IS NOT BLOAT. Conky is not bloat. Conky is not bloat. Conky is not bloat. Conky is not bloat. Conky is not bloat. Conky is not bloat. Conky is not bloat. Conky is not bloat. Conky is not ...."

--- Carry on nothing to see here ---

BunsenLabs is going where it's going.  Doing our best to maintain the #! idea and keep up with, no NOT the Kardashians, being modern as well.

#21 2017-05-24 15:45:47

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

LMAO Sector. big_smile

Wth is happening to the contents of the #! forum ?!?! The thing is crumbling. Went back recently looking for the conkyrc's I'd posted there,(only took 2wks but) actually had a nice horizontal and vertical one back then. Think I found em and made copies just in case. The download links to the font I used/posted along with the one's to the Pizzadude bullet's and all the images, including mine GONE ! sad

Stretch is coming with conky 1.10 now and the syntax has changed, conkyrc is now conky.conf ? Conky <shakes head, is not ... ???> has crossed my mind, who wants a blank desktop. Well I do, cause feh and backgrounds are also bloat, as are pixels and conky  ... iz not*? Errrr.

Not that am saying go haywire or over-board but really do think some light-weight eyecandy couldn't hurt anything. As Titan suggested in link, perhaps even a community involvement or vote or whatever. Gonna be silent, I've had too much coffee, too little sleep and am running rampant with sideline quarterback input here.

Besides everybody knows that conky is .... not bloat.?

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-24 15:49:18)

#22 2017-05-24 17:04:36

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

Thought you'd get a tickle out of that. wink

Yea, I am not a fan of conky v1.10 or higher for various reasons the biggest is it "steals" the desktop space and doesn't allow right|centre|left clicking to get at menus.  There's more but ....

I'm going to run conkyv1.9 for as long as I can and when stretch comes into being I'll put it on "hold".

But I can play with v1.10 it with a couple of simple "aliases" I have

### conky 10 to 9
alias c10-9='sudo apt-get autoremove --purge conky-all -y && sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends conky-all'
### conky 10 to 9
alias c9-10='sudo apt-get autoremove --purge conky-all -y && sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports install --no-install-recommends conky-all'

I have downloaded the current "Debian" conky-all in prep for "Stretch"

/media/5/zip-tar-gz/DEBIAN/Conky-debs/conky-all_1.9.0-6_amd64.deb

mind you my {cough cough}archive{cough cough} goes all the way back to:

/media/5/zip-tar-gz/DEBIAN/Conky-debs/conky_1.6.0-2+lenny1_amd64.deb

and includes: conky-all, conky-std and conky-cli as well as amd64 and i386 versions  roll
Oh yea, I have the "_1.10.0-1_" versions too

Yea, we have noticed what's what at #!, damo found a 'work around' but you have to be logged in, if you find a post that looks empty click on Quote, you'll see the contents of the post - but obviously can't post anything.

Now ... don't you dare tell my wife about the sample I just found:
2017-05-24_133739_Scrot11.th.png click on Quote to see: 2017-05-24_133759_Scrot11.th.png
So sad.  sad

While the search engine isn't working well if you are logged in you can go to your profile and click on:
PS: you have 2 pages of topics and 75 pages of posts.
To trim things down to your topics and posts.  smile

#23 2017-05-24 18:11:58

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

LMAO AGAIN! smile

Yeah ... really see no reason someone couldn't opt to use an older version of conky for quite some time to come. Haven't "apt-cache show conky-all" to look at it's depends, blahblah. Shouldn't be much of any and those older versions should continue right on chugging along almost indefinitely me thinks.

Could also downgrade if wanted apt and aptitude both allow a person to specify a particular version to install. Obviously provided it's in a repo in sources etc. Errrrr or download the friggin .debs or whichever way someone prefers.

apt:

sudo apt-get install packagename=versionnumber

aptitude:

sudo aptitude install packagename=version

Thanks much Sector/Damo for the cool #! forum tip. How da hades Damo figured that one out, can't imagine. smile Have been thinking of visiting the stupe waybackmachine or seeing if google has #! forum cached somewhere, I know they do, they used to allow people to click on a link.

Often now even finding stuff I know is/was there and should come up with advanced search modifiers turns up weird/sketchy search returns.

As for conky, was thinking about it but the idea of sleepless dys screwing with it to get something I'd like the looks of makes my nose hairs curl. tongue Guess I better ease my way into bloat (errrrrr conky's not ... errrr bloat). How about a background or maybe allow a few of those bloatish pixel things to creep onto my desktop ?

All joking aside, really should do something visually appealing to this desktop, if minimized everything and stared at it as is for a few hours, it's so bland. Would probably feel like super-gluing me eyeballs shut. big_smile

Cr&p sorry, thread jacking in progress. Is at least somewhat conky related and do think is #! legacy related. Corenominal had a legion of people who would've jumped at a chance to try to improve #! and he ignored them over and over. Do something better and different than #! did while retaining the good parts.

Those who ignore history, are doomed to repeat it kinda thing.

Arghhhh to be fair, it was his right to do so imo. It was his project and he was the one in the drivers seat. So that isn't meant as a slight towards him. Etc.

Think Corenominal had a very solid idea of what he wanted #! to be and stay and he was brooking no argument. Which hey, #!'s concepts, config and layout I totally believe are kickarse examples of what gnu/Linux can be. So Corenominal ... mission accomplished.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-24 20:12:19)

#24 2017-05-24 20:15:24

shadowplay

This is an interesting thread.

What will BL look/feel like in 5 years? Will it have evolved its own set of customised (non upstream) config and management utilities, and evolved into something like (say) AntiX?

(OK, maybe AntiX is a bad example, given its systemd-less approach, but it has a suite of tools for config and admin that are AntiX-specific).

The unique selling point of BL must be its #! legacy. And that legacy must be summed up as a lightweight, bare-bones, text-based configurable Linux distro built on rock-solid (and standard) Debian Stable.

I hate to go all corporate, but maybe BL needs a mission statement :-)
[I can't believe that even crossed my mind!]

Or maybe a poll in this forum would be an idea to guage opinions?

#25 2017-05-24 21:04:04

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Poll: which is best?
  • [1] Plain text file configuration

• [0] GUI clickbox overload

There's my vote  monkey

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Board footer