You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-02 04:10:54

hhh
Meep!
Website

bl-exit returning to "Classic"

bl-exit... We should return to our old "Classic" window and have the *big*-icon bar as an option, and scale it by screen percentage (you go, @damo!)

What do you think?

#2 2017-04-02 11:38:15

thoro

Re: bl-exit returning to "Classic"

Full ACK! +1

"It's just your opinion, man!"

#3 2017-04-02 14:14:52

jochen

+1

#4 2017-04-02 15:27:49

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

+1 ... with a thought.

Any way to make it an option as to "and scale it by screen percentage" ?

damo's work is very impressive.  KUDOS damo.

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#5 2017-04-02 17:21:20

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

After being away from the project for a few months and having updated everything this is the one thing that stuck out to me as being a bit *too* much. I actually enjoyed and prefered the older exit menu variation. While the logo's look cool, and graphically it's very #! (I suppose in look) it seems a bit in your face and looks like it should be more of a variant than a default of our minimalistic OS..

Speaking of which is this newer stylized version only appearing in the Deuterium Helium RC?  or was it available in Hydrogen stable as well?

Last edited by Horizon_Brave (2017-04-02 17:31:41)

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#6 2017-04-02 20:13:18

hhh
Meep!
Website

Horizon_Brave wrote:

Speaking of which is this newer stylized version only appearing in the Deuterium Helium RC?  or was it available in Hydrogen stable as well?

It is in stable, and changed when a user upgraded bunsen-utilities.

We're going to try not to implement UI changes without warning and user input in the future.

#7 2017-04-02 23:23:26

Horizon_Brave

hhh wrote:
Horizon_Brave wrote:

It is in stable, and changed when a user upgraded bunsen-utilities.

We're going to try not to implement UI changes without warning and user input in the future.

hhh that would be much appreciated! Honestly, It'd be great, if ALL decisions made to the UI and behind the scenes code be presented first with polls. I mean this is a user driven community at it's heart, and I think we're small enough to have perhapps weekly or monthll polls for getting our feedback on decisions.

Sort of like how share holders of company stock have a say and are questioned and have input to steer the direction of the company... Is that a possibility?

#8 2017-04-03 01:29:27

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Horizon_Brave wrote:

It'd be great, if ALL decisions made to the UI and behind the scenes code be presented first with polls.

Personally, I've always made an effort to get user feedback when making changes to the code base of things I work on, by posting questions in this "development" section. Sometimes there's little or no response. If I get no complaints after a few days I take it to mean it's OK to go ahead.

But, think for a moment, if we had to take a poll every time something was changed, the project would grind to a halt. Remember everyone here is giving their time for free. Of course this project isn't a toy so devs can get their kicks turning out nifty code, but if every small decision had to be polled it wouldn't do much for their motivation IMO.

So, I'd advocate: get as much feedback as possible at the early stages, and then if a dev gets on a roll you've got to let them go with it. They have to fit their coding in with the rest of their life and can't keep taking 2~3 day breaks at every decision point.

Of course, at the end of that process there may be cases where it looks as if a WindBack is called for (eg the OP right here).

WRT bl-exit, there was indeed a long discussion started by xaos52 (the developer of the new bl-exit) right here in this section, last year, starting with, yes, a poll: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=1636
... and continuing with a lot of user-testing of Dr. Xaos' code (which at first enhanced functionality without changing appearance). Half-way through MerlinElMago contributed a new GUI which became the basis of the new bl-exit look. About the new code and GUI:

xaos52 wrote:

Your thoughts?
Anyone's thoughts?
Don't feel excluded.
Just jump in with suggestions.

And all along there was continual posting, mostly with positive opinions, although at one point:

damo wrote:

Isn't this getting unecessarily complicated for a briefly-visible exit panel?

To which:

johnraff wrote:

I was wondering the same, but maybe if the methods and processes developed here can then be re-used in other user interface windows then it will be worth the effort.

But on the whole, everyone who posted in that thread loved the new bl-exit. tongue

I think it's fair to say that in this particular case, the whole thing was exhaustively discussed in detail and in public, and not a single voice was raised by anyone here that the new version of bl-exit should not be shipped out with the Deuterium upgrades. Although, unfortunately, it now seems to need winding back a bit, I'd say that was an example of the kind of community collaboration that we all want to see more of here.

But... it's also up to community members to participate!

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#9 2017-04-03 04:35:44

geekosupremo

Like:

• trying new ideas

• working on new concepts

Not so like:

• Icons w/out obvious lables - see gmail web interface

• the super "up frontedness" of the icons

That said, I feel a little bad for not commenting on the original post, honestly didn't know it existed, till now. I will keep an eye on that topic grouping going forward.

All in all WELL DONE to all who put their amazing talents and time and energy into this great distro and community!

Last edited by geekosupremo (2017-04-03 04:36:05)

#10 2017-04-03 16:28:29

Horizon_Brave

@JohnRaff:
Yea I agree, and I hope I didn't come off as rude or blind to your attempts to keep us all informed and in the loop with  changes. You definitely have in the Development & Suggestions forum. I suppose the fear comes from the project eventually spiraling out of the control of the users, and more towards the more 'elite' board of directors making all the decisions and proposals.  I know creating polls and decisions every time a change is needed is completely impractical and nothing would be done, especially with the natural slow response times of forum chatter.  My observation though is that I haven't seen any user contributed idea's actually make it to the distro... I really hope this doesn't come off as negative, but I feel as though if a change or suggest doesn't come from one of the 'inner' bunsen circle, then the idea is usually shot down, often with not a great amount of reasoning or any attempt to foster the idea and see if any one else would like it. Again this isn't a huge complaint just something I've noticed...

Anyway I really don't want to turn this into a rant thread at all, so let's get back on topic shall we?  I like the bl-exit UI, but it would be nice to a choice in theme for it.

#11 2017-04-04 01:24:18

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Horizon_Brave wrote:

My observation though is that I haven't seen any user contributed idea's actually make it to the distro...

I don't agree with this at all, to be honest. There are many examples (including the current new big bl-exit).

Maybe you'd like to comment on ohnonot's thread here? https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=3543

I like the bl-exit UI, but it would be nice to a choice in theme for it.

There already is choice, in fact. The "classic" theme was available all along - all we're proposing here is to make it the default.

Last edited by johnraff (2017-04-04 01:33:41)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#12 2017-04-05 19:10:57

damo
....moderator....

Horizon_Brave wrote:

... I like the bl-exit UI, but it would be nice to a choice in theme for it.

You mean like this one?
Screenshot_2017-03-21_exit.th.png

Read the header comments in bl-exitrc - it explains in detail how to change a theme wink

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#13 2017-04-05 23:41:59

KrunchTime

hhh wrote:

Good idea and thank you.

johnraff wrote:

Personally, I've always made an effort to get user feedback when making changes to the code base of things I work on, by posting questions in this "development" section. Sometimes there's little or no response. If I get no complaints after a few days I take it to mean it's OK to go ahead.

Maybe not many users bother to look through the Development & Suggestions section.  I know I haven't in the past, but will try to check more often since the development team is soliciting feedback.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2017-04-05 23:44:48)

Board footer