You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-23 09:32:13

MerlinElMago

Installing Bunsenlabs on an Acer Aspire One Cloudbook A01-131-C7U3

The machine
This little laptop has a great look and feel considering the price I bought it for (188€). All specifications are reasonable. I had it running Windows for no more than 5 minutes, because I specifically bought it for BunsenLinux. Let me put it this way: I was despairing while I used Windows. Even the shutdown process seemed to take ages. I had to wait for Windows to shutdown for like 15 minues, no kidding. So my conclusion, although at this pricepoint it's value for money is ok, don't try using it with Windows for any serious work. It crawls.

The installation
Without really being sure if I could run Linux on it, I read a few articles on the web. I was aiming for Bunsen because I like the look and feel in addition to it being very lightweight. Right now I'm typing this from my Bunsen installation and it is very useable. The laptop speed is more than adecuate considering the price I've paid for it.
I can:

• Watch fullscreen Youtube videos within Google Chrome with very little tearing. It is definitely useable.

• Listen to music, watch videos and streams on VLC

• Navigate the web comfortably with no drawbacks. I just didn't install Flash, but that's a personal choice and has nothing to do with the laptop not being able to run it.

• Program in Python, PHP and edit HTML, CSS3 using Atom (although the startup of atom is by far the slowest program on the computer. It takes like 2sec to appear.)

Which is more or less all the work I wanted this machine for. But all this was  not possible without a lot of sweat, trial end error smile

The settings
As I mentioned earlier, I was able to find two articles on the Internet from people who managed to install Arch and Ubunu on this thing. At first I wasn't even able to boot it up, not into the live demo and not into the installer. So I started looking for options.
The guide I found talking about Ubuntu, was able to use UEFI boot. And the guide on Arch, did not. So I was reasonably sure that I had to disable UEFI boot, since Bunsen did not come with UEFI support (which is a pitty, to be honest). I went on, and disabled everything that had to do with UEFI. I have to stress out that I use two different settings for Installation and Daily use.
So, to boot first time, I had to set:
[Main]->[Touchpad] to "Basic"
[Security] set a password, since this enables a some features in BIOS
[Security]->[TMP] I actually don't know if this affects something, but since trusted computing is supposedly required by Microsoft, I just switched it off wink
[Boot]->[Mode] set to "Legacy"
[Boot] Reordered the boot order to have the USB HDD at the top, folowed by the 32GB "Hard Disc"

The installation
Now the installation was fairly easy (once I knew how to do it). At the grub prompt I selected the "Deafult" option and then I edited boot parameters with the TAB key. I added

apci=off modprobe.blacklist=pinctrl_cherryview

After the installation I needed ACPI to work properly to be able to read the battery parameters from it. So this is just a quick fix to be able to install the system. With these two parameters I was able to boot into the Bunsen installer. I removed ALL partitions from the drive and repartitioned to my liking. I found one little captcha though. While the installer is detected, sometimes I got an error about the CD not being found. My workaround for this, was unplugging the stick and plugging it into another port. Doing this, I got the stock instantly recognized.

The system
Once the installation is finished, was able to boot the system, but obviously it was failing. I got an ACPI error about the clock, followed by a kernel panic. I had to edit the kernel parameters from GRUB. For this, I went to the line I wanted to start and pressed 'e'. Within the file that appeared on the screen, I searched for the line starting with "linux" and added  "noapic modprobe.blacklist=pinctrl_cherryview" as boot parameters. Once I finished typing I pressed F10 to start the system with the parameters I provided. I booted right into Bunsen.

Final configurations
As the boot parameters I provided were volatile, I had to permanently force the system to boot with those parameters. For that pourpose, I created a file called pinctrl_cherryview-blacklist.conf under /etc/modprobe.d/ with the following contents:

#Custom Blacklist
blacklist pinctrl_cherryview

Then, I edited the file /etc/default/grub and modified the line reading

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"

to read

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet noapic"

after saving the file, I ran

sudo update-grub

And that should be it! Now you have a quick booting perfectly useable little laptop which allows you for most of your daily tasks and multimedia needs. I is lightning quick and reasonably beatiful.

Hope this helps anybody. Farewell my friends...
Merlin

Last edited by MerlinElMago (2016-06-23 09:43:18)

#2 2016-06-23 09:55:36

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Re: Installing Bunsenlabs on an Acer Aspire One Cloudbook A01-131-C7U3

Hi Merlin,
Thank you for the detailed write-up.

Welcome to the forum smile if you decide to stay, else farewell indeed wink

#3 2016-06-23 10:10:10

damo
....moderator....

Welcome to BunsenLabs, and thanks for the HowTo smile

While the installer is detected, sometimes I got an error about the CD not being found. My workaround for this, was unplugging the stick and plugging it into another port. Doing this, I got the stock instantly recognized.

I've noticed this has been mentioned a couple of times before. Sounds like a little trick to remember!

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#4 2016-06-23 13:00:18

MerlinElMago

Ups, as I'm not a native speaker, I think I expressed myself a little awkward. When I used the word farewell I wasn't aware of it sounding like a permanent goodbye. But don't worry... I'm staying big_smile

Regards
Merlin

Last edited by MerlinElMago (2016-06-23 13:31:53)

#5 2016-06-23 13:53:58

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Oh, I thought you were a mage, doing some magic here and there and then mysteriously disappearing to wherever you came from. smile

#6 2016-06-23 16:53:04

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

What a fantastic guide, thank you very much for this!
smile

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#7 2016-06-23 18:18:49

MerlinElMago

Thanks for the friendly welcome!

xaos52 wrote:

Oh, I thought you were a mage, doing some magic here and there and then mysteriously disappearing to wherever you came from.

No... I not one of *those* guys big_smile

As there is not much information available on this specific laptop I decided to publish this little howto.

FYI I've posted pictures of my laptop in the Artwork subforum (Wear it with pride!). I will keep this thread updated with all the specifir configurations I'm on right now (i.e. function buttons...etc.).

See ya
Merlin

Last edited by MerlinElMago (2016-06-23 18:30:02)

#8 2016-08-07 21:47:54

tmlbl

I purchased a similar model (AO1-131-C9PM) and followed this thread to get it running. Had some more issues and tweaks I've done on it, here are my notes:

https://github.com/tmlbl/acer-cloudbook-11-bunsenlabs

#9 2016-08-08 07:12:23

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Thanks for this smile

By the way, you seem to have used an old ISO image for that installation (the autostart file has been changed since then) and the sound problem (for which you removed Pulseaudio) could have been fixed by this method:
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=2266

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#10 2016-09-25 11:43:20

more_

Hi!

Firstly, thanks for the awesome guide!
Does everything work properly? Sound? Wi-Fi? Bluetooth? Any sleeping troubles? Battery life?

Thank you!!

Y un saludo desde Valencia wink

Board footer