You are not logged in.

#51 2016-04-02 11:42:43

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

Re: Background image install paths.

For whatever my opinion is worth, the path selection looks god to me. Straight forward, concise, readable, and clear for the most part as to what each directories purpose is.

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#52 2016-04-07 06:38:57

johnraff
nullglob
Website

The new versions of bunsen-{common,configs,docs,images,images-extra,pipemenus,welcome} are now in newpaths branches on GitHub.

I've built test debs from them and installed the whole lot on a VM. I put in dependencies and maintscripts to try to prevent old and new versions from clashing, and the upgrade process now seems to go OK, with files installed where they should be as far as I can tell, and pipemenus etc seem to work.

As soon as everything's OK I'll merge the newpaths branches into master and they'll be ready for building.

Remaining Question: filenames.

I've tidied up directory names, removing suprefluous bl- prefixes and the like, but the names of files themselves are still unchanged, so for example /usr/share/images/bunsen/login/ contains:
bl-login-1920x1200.png  bl-login-blue-text.png   bl-login-grey.png
bl-login-background     bl-login-green.png       bl-login-grey-text.png
bl-login-blue.png       bl-login-green-text.png

All those bl-login- prefixes could be taken off and it would look tidier, but if any file was copied out of that directory it would have to be renamed or its name would become meaningless. See what I mean? Which way to go? At this point it will be quite easy to change the filenames.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#53 2016-04-07 06:50:23

xaos52
The Good Doctor

I say remove the prefixes.
When a user copies them out, she is responsible for them.
Pampering the user has its limits smile

#54 2016-04-07 08:32:42

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

xaos52 wrote:

I say remove the prefixes.
When a user copies them out, she is responsible for them.
Pampering the user has its limits smile

Agreed. Plus, you could include a README perhaps in this directory stating that any removal of files will "break" the linking. You could even make the README generic so you can include it any any directory that has files that, if moved, may snap the usage of it elsewhere?

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#55 2016-04-07 11:39:36

damo
....moderator....

I guess $USER backgrounds config files could now have the wrong paths eg saved BLOB themes, but it is still a testing release. Better to tidy the names get any pain over now I think.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#56 2016-04-08 02:19:27

johnraff
nullglob
Website

damo wrote:

I guess $USER backgrounds config files could now have the wrong paths eg saved BLOB themes...

Good point. Any user scripts etc that use image paths will be broken.

...the more you poke around in the details of something, the more odd things come up...

-------------

Another directory, /usr/share/images/bunsen/icon-avatar/

bl-flame-ellipses-blue.svg     Bunsenlabs-flame.svg
BunsenLabs-by-ututo.svg        bunsenlabs-text-flame-grey.png
Bunsenlabs-flame-256.svg       bunsenlabs-text-flame.svg
Bunsenlabs-flame-gray-256.svg  Bunsenlabs-text-flame_uppercase.svg
Bunsenlabs-flame.png           hydrogen-text.svg

Quite a mixture of naming there! In this case, I was inclined just to leave it alone, but it could be rationalized I suppose...

--------------

Another question, there are a lot of grub background files in wallpapers/bgpack_ututo
ie  bl_grub2{a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h}.png

Most, but not all (??) of these are also in grub/

bl_grub2b.png  bl_grub2e.png  bl_grub2g.png             bl-grub-nebula.png
bl_grub2d.png  bl_grub2f.png  bl-grub-nebula-desat.png

Move bl_grub2{a,c,h}.png from bgpack_ututo/ to grub/ and delete the others?

--------------

Also, @damo, could you have a look at the README? The "Default Debian Artwork image sizes" section, is that still correct?

EDIT: changed README url to "newpaths" branch.

Last edited by johnraff (2016-04-09 02:40:51)

#57 2016-04-08 02:33:24

damo
....moderator....

^ I'll have a look after a sleep! Yes the README needs an edit - the "default" sizes and filetypes were taken from the Debian notes for contributors to Debian8 artwork, and posted as a guide for anyone who wanted to make sets for BL.

Regarding the image names: many are what the original creators used, and they were uploaded to github before we decided on a more rational naming scheme (after they were packaged!)

#58 2016-04-09 02:41:51

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@damo sorry I was careless above and linked to the "master" README not the relevant "newpaths" version. Now fixed.

#59 2016-04-10 03:47:59

johnraff
nullglob
Website

damo wrote:

I guess $USER backgrounds config files could now have the wrong paths eg saved BLOB themes, but it is still a testing release. Better to tidy the names get any pain over now I think.

Re BLOB - I've just noticed that restoring a theme it overwrites /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf with the direct path to a login background. Now that we are using Debian alternatives to set the login background, the path needs to be left at
/usr/share/images/bunsen/login/bl-login-background or the alternatives will be broken after a BLOB restore, especially if the saved session was from before the impending paths upgrade.

I'm not quite sure what the cleanest way forward would be - maybe an automatic save of the installed settings on first run of BLOB (or on first bootup of the system?), so that it will be possible to get back?

#60 2016-04-10 10:00:08

damo
....moderator....

Hmmm, complicated sad

I can see a few ways to go...

1) A BLOB first-run warning about older saved lightdm settings.

2) Remove the lightdm option completely.

3) Don't try to save/restore lightdm config, but have a message to the user to re-run alternatives.

4) Automate the edit of alternatives. Possible?

#61 2016-04-11 02:05:44

johnraff
nullglob
Website

damo wrote:

Hmmm, complicated sad

Yes, unfortunately.

1) A BLOB first-run warning about older saved lightdm settings.

Of course we have no way of knowing what might have happened to the lightdm files between installation and running BLOB. The user should have an idea though, so maybe a warning would be enough.

2) Remove the lightdm option completely.

And any other system-level tweaks. As a last resort, this would be the simplest way out perhaps.

3) Don't try to save/restore lightdm config, but have a message to the user to re-run alternatives.

Would work. There are other GUI tweaks available in lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf though, like the theme, which users might want to alter anyway.

4) Automate the edit of alternatives. Possible?

Yes. It's quite possible to add/remove alternative choices and set one as the Alternative, all from a script.

5) Another possibility that ocurred to me is that BLOB could come with a built-in set of configs, stored as "default", that corresponds to the initial install, so when first starting BLOB, "default" would already come up as an available stored session.
Would a ~/.config/blob/default directory be enough, or would  ~/.config/blob/current need to be set to "default" too? Would it work without a default.jpg image? Or could that just be made something generic-looking? Since BLOB comes in bunsen-utilities, not bunsen-configs (which installs skel) then perhaps bunsen-utilities could put BLOB's "default" stuff in /usr/share and copy it into ~/.config/blob on BLOB's first run?

----------------------

BTW filenames
: would it be OK if I just rename things as I see fit, or would you like to handle it? Also, can you post a revised README somewhere? I don't think it needs much adding to it, just tidying out the obsolete lines.

It would be good to get the "newpaths" packages built and on the repo so @hhh can get the new CD iso out. Maybe this BLOB issue can be fixed after that - it will only affect a few users at this point I guess.

#62 2016-04-11 06:37:55

damo
....moderator....

johnraff wrote:

5) Another possibility that ocurred to me is that BLOB could come with a built-in set of configs, stored as "default", that corresponds to the initial install, so when first starting BLOB, "default" would already come up as an available stored session.
Would a ~/.config/blob/default directory be enough, or would  ~/.config/blob/current need to be set to "default" too? Would it work without a default.jpg image? Or could that just be made something generic-looking? Since BLOB comes in bunsen-utilities, not bunsen-configs (which installs skel) then perhaps bunsen-utilities could put BLOB's "default" stuff in /usr/share and copy it into ~/.config/blob on BLOB's first run?

This has come up before, in reference to shipping some different configs. I like the idea of including the BL default config though. Could it just be included in skel and installed during the user setup? A "generic" scrot should work - like the one on the BL homepage.

BTW filenames
: would it be OK if I just rename things as I see fit, or would you like to handle it? Also, can you post a revised README somewhere? I don't think it needs much adding to it, just tidying out the obsolete lines.

I'll let you deal with the paths, and I'll have a look at the README later.
-------
EDIT: I don't see anything "obsolete" in README.blobthemes?

Last edited by damo (2016-04-11 20:02:10)

#63 2016-04-12 06:29:48

johnraff
nullglob
Website

damo wrote:

I like the idea of including the BL default config though. Could it just be included in skel and installed during the user setup?

Skel seems like the way to go. Since BLOB already knows how to make a set of backup configs by looking in $HOME, maybe the (almost) same code could make a "Default" session backup by going over /usr/share/bunsen/skel? The (very cool cool ) screenshots bit would have to be skipped I guess. If that Default session backup was made on BLOB's first run, rather than at user setup time, it would save a user who never touched BLOB from having an unnecessary ~/.config/blob directory. Also, if the backup was based on the current skel/ it would save us having to keep two sets of configs in sync.

BTW filenames

I'll let you deal with the paths, and I'll have a look at the README later.
-------
EDIT: I don't see anything "obsolete" in README.blobthemes?

I didn't mean BLOB's README, I meant the bunsen-images README here: https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-im … ths/README

Board footer