You are not logged in.

#26 2016-01-31 00:23:05

spacex
Website

Re: UEFI Frustration

Well, the Kali version of live-build do create a ISO that boots in UEFI-mode. I'm trying it for TweakOS now, but there are some imperfections. Not sure if it's with the live-build version I'm trying, or if it's my build that needs some adjusting to fit this live-build version. Making the second attempt now.But I'm optimistic, as it booted in uefi-mode, and everything looked fine in partman. But I aborted because I wasn't happy with the boot splash screen, and also that the IS0 was +100MB bigger, than if I do the same build in the ordinary Debian version.Well, new ISO finished, off I go smile

Last edited by spacex (2016-01-31 01:45:25)

Regards Spacex(EW)

"If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a UNIX user to show you how it's done." — Scott Adams, Dilbert Cartoonist

#27 2016-01-31 08:09:06

nobody0
Disabled account

Except the 32 bit iso, the other two 64 bit isos boot in an UEFI system.

#28 2016-01-31 13:32:04

spacex
Website

ostrolek wrote:

Except the 32 bit iso, the other two 64 bit isos boot in an UEFI system.

Sure, but it's good enough to get uefi-support for 64 bit as a first step, as any computer with UEFI are capable of 64-bit.If anyone needs to use 32-bit, then they probably at least have legacy support available to them in their bios. Chances are also that most of them only have legacy support and can't boot in uefi-mode anyways.

Sure, there probably are user cases where uefi for 32-bit are wished for, but it can't be all that many cases.

Regards Spacex(EW)

"If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a UNIX user to show you how it's done." — Scott Adams, Dilbert Cartoonist

#29 2016-01-31 13:36:17

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Just to note: the Debian netinstall ISO images do support 32-bit, 64-bit and mixed bitness UEFI systems wink

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#30 2016-01-31 17:19:01

spacex
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Just to note: the Debian netinstall ISO images do support 32-bit, 64-bit and mixed bitness UEFI systems wink

Yes, but now we're talking about live-images, which serves a purpose which the netinstall images do not cover. They're only usable for permanent installs  smile

Besides, Bunsen from a netinstall image is a tedious process, only suited for the most patient users, and only for those who do it seldom, and who keep their installs for a long period of time. In other words, people who are the exact opposite of me. Any install can consider itself as lucky if I've not bored by it in a week or two  big_smile

But the Kali version of live-build might be a way to get uefi-support to BunsenLabs quite soon, and I suppose that the Kali version will be maintained and developed, unlike the Debian version which has been somewhat abandoned, without anyone new taking charge of it yet.

Regards Spacex(EW)

#31 2016-01-31 17:46:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

spacex wrote:

But the Kali version of live-build might be a way to get uefi-support to BunsenLabs quite soon

I had a look at it this afternoon and the live-build script they use relies on the Kali repositories.

As these are based on Debian testing, it would be unwise to use them for BunsenLabs, IMO.

I think we will be waiting for an upstream solution as we are trying to stick as close to Debian stable as possible.

At any rate, UEFI support is not a priority as the distribution is intended for use on lower resource (and hence older) machines.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#32 2016-02-01 01:01:32

spacex
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
spacex wrote:

But the Kali version of live-build might be a way to get uefi-support to BunsenLabs quite soon

I had a look at it this afternoon and the live-build script they use relies on the Kali repositories.

As these are based on Debian testing, it would be unwise to use them for BunsenLabs, IMO.

I think we will be waiting for an upstream solution as we are trying to stick as close to Debian stable as possible.

At any rate, UEFI support is not a priority as the distribution is intended for use on lower resource (and hence older) machines.

Ok. I'm not going to wait for a upstream solution, as it is a testing image I want to create anyways, and off course. Just to do it. So that I can have it as a secondary solution for the next release, if there isn't a upstream solution in time for the launch of Strecth.

Anyways, they are doing some work here:
https://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/.

Regards Spacex(EW)

Board footer