You are not logged in.

#61 2026-05-25 07:31:35

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 13,495
Website

Re: The Wayland plugin for Carbon

Made a temporary branch on bunsen-configs so regular carbon can still get upgrades while development goes on with the wayland stuff. Just added labwc's menu.xml and rc.xml:
https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-co … nsen/labwc


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), now on Bluesky and Mastodon, there's also some GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Boron Desktop

Offline

#62 2026-05-25 17:29:56

hhh
Hercule Poirot
From: Belgium
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 17,560
Website

Re: The Wayland plugin for Carbon

johnraff wrote:

Also I think getting a Trixie/Carbon Wayland desktop out for our users to play with will make the path to Forky much smoother.

I can't argue with that. Let's go. big_smile


Why why why why?!!???

Offline

#63 2026-05-26 06:19:10

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 13,495
Website

Re: The Wayland plugin for Carbon

Labwc 0.20.0 has been released upstream:
https://github.com/labwc/labwc/releases/tag/0.20.0
But when it will arrive in Debian is another question.
The libinput dependency of >=1.26 is no problem, but wlroots >=0.20.1 might take a little while to arrive.
wlroots 0.20.0 is currently stuck in Unstable with the migration to Testing blocked:
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/wlroots

Debian package tracker wrote:

Migration status for wlroots (0.19.3-1 to 0.20.0-2): BLOCKED: Rejected/violates migration policy/introduces a regression
Issues preventing migration:
∙ ∙ removing libwlroots-0.19-dev/0.19.3-1/amd64 from testing makes Build-Depends of src:labwc uninstallable

A bug has been posted on labwc:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … ug=1132208
and the Debian maintainer has been quick getting new releases out in the past, so, depending on the wlroots situation, it might not be too long.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), now on Bluesky and Mastodon, there's also some GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Boron Desktop

Offline

#64 2026-08-20 06:06:33

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 13,495
Website

Re: The Wayland plugin for Carbon

PS Labwc 0.20.0 entered Debian Testing (Forky) in June this year. smile


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), now on Bluesky and Mastodon, there's also some GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Boron Desktop

Offline

#65 Today 14:27:36

hhh
Hercule Poirot
From: Belgium
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 17,560
Website

Re: The Wayland plugin for Carbon

Since installing Carbon Wayland to a VM is problematic, I've gone ahead and installed it to disc...

1) Install BL Carbon
2) Follow the instructions in BL Welcome, currently it upgrade 270 packages and installs three new ones.
3) In a terminal, run 'sudo apt install bunsen-configs-wayland-plugin' (@johnraff, the OP needs an update, the package there is 'bunsen-meta-wayland-addon')
4) Logout/login to the Wayland session (I love the yellow-background icon, it's like a warning; Caution! Experimental! A nice touch! big_smile)

This brings you to a somewhat broken session... no wallpaper, Super doesn't open the menu. You're prompted to update a bunch of configs, I chose "Do All", set a wallpaper with xwwall and logged out/in. I wish I hadn't set the wallpaper because the config updates might have fixed it, it does fix the Super button and some other things.

780362829_screenshot_2026-10-07_10-42-59.png

Not bad at all! Shadows aren't enabled, no big deal. Shadows are there, I just didn't notice. Firefox is missing minimize/maximize buttons, that's a Firefox issue I assume, all other windows appear normal.

There are some issues with the menu; no type-to-search, pressing Super again doesn't close it (Esc does), the All Applications entry is blank. Is this jgmenu under Xwayland? I don't see a process in gnome-system-monitor (which I installed) when I open the menu.

Two things that I noticed that are awesome... The lock screen looks fantastic! gparted launches from the menu!!! How the hell did you manage that, @johnraff?!?? I've been using 'sudo -EH gparted' from a terminal on my niri session.

This is a great start, hats of to @johnraff!

-edit- Added a screenshot that didn't show my IP address. wink

Last edited by hhh (Today 16:09:02)


Why why why why?!!???

Offline

#66 Today 15:36:16

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 2,002

Re: The Wayland plugin for Carbon

hhh wrote:

Since installing Carbon Wayland to a VM is problematic, I've gone ahead and installed it to disc...

1) Install BL Carbon
2) Follow the instructions in BL Welcome, currently it upgrade 270 packages and installs three new ones.
3) In a terminal, run 'sudo apt install bunsen-configs-wayland-plugin' (@johnraff, the OP needs an update, the package there is 'bunsen-meta-wayland-addon')
4) Logout/login to the Wayland session (I love the yellow-background icon, it's like a warning; Caution! Experimental! A nice touch! big_smile)

This brings you to a somewhat broken session... no wallpaper, Super doesn't open the menu. You're prompted to update a bunch of configs, I chose "Do All", set a wallpaper with xwwall and logged out/in. I wish I hadn't set the wallpaper because the config updates might have fixed it, it does fix the Super button and some other things.

https://t3.pixhost.cc/thumbs/6257/780362829_screenshot_2026-10-07_10-42-59.png

Not bad at all! Shadows aren't enabled, no big deal. Firefox is missing minimize/maximize buttons, that's a Firefox issue I assume, all other windows appear normal.

There are some issues with the menu; no type-to-search, pressing Super again doesn't close it (Esc does), the All Applications entry is blank. Is this jgmenu under Xwayland? I don't see a process in gnome-system-monitor (which I installed) when I open the menu.

Two things that I noticed that are awesome... The lock screen looks fantastic! gparted launches from the menu!!! How the hell did you manage that, @johnraff?!?? I've been using 'sudo -EH gparted' from a terminal on my niri session.

This is a great start, hats of to @johnraff!

-edit- Added a screenshot that didn't show my IP address. wink

Now that's nice and those bugs/glitches ought to be squashed in due time.


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB