You are not logged in.

#1761 2022-06-11 12:32:37

Colonel Panic

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

unklar wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

Just updated Siduction, a 1,036 MB total download. I've installed i3 on it, with which it works very well.

Madness!  yikes

Won't be the first time that's been said about me. What do you think is mad, updating Siduction or using i3 on it?

#1762 2022-06-11 12:50:13

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

Colonel Panic wrote:
unklar wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

Just updated Siduction, a 1,036 MB total download. I've installed i3 on it, with which it works very well.

Madness!  yikes

Won't be the first time that's been said about me. What do you think is mad, updating Siduction or using i3 on it?

Well, I think I've said this before: my updates are done after 3-4 weeks at the latest (due to vacations) and there the download is at most ~ 7-800 MB. Otherwise weekly. Because of the risk of breakage.

So. siduction you lucky guy.    devil

Last edited by unklar (2022-06-11 12:50:58)

#1763 2022-06-11 15:34:52

Colonel Panic

Fair point. Maybe I was lucky this time because it all seems to be working fine.

[Edit; the login screen keeps freezing when I use the newest kernel, so you're probably right although the problem is easily fixed; I just use an earlier one instead. It's a problem I've had before, when I used Neptune (a Debian distro with KDE).]

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2022-06-11 19:36:26)

#1764 2022-06-12 08:07:45

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

Colonel Panic wrote:

Fair point. Maybe I was lucky this time because it all seems to be working fine.

[Edit; the login screen keeps freezing when I use the newest kernel, so you're probably right although the problem is easily fixed; I just use an earlier one instead. It's a problem I've had before, when I used Neptune (a Debian distro with KDE).]

Well, that's not very meaningful. Please

inxi -SGxxx

or
Which desktop?
Which login manager?
What are the last ~ 20 entries in the .xsession-errors?

First, refresh the system. Don't log in via the login screen, but press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log in as root. Then run apt update && apt dist-upgrade. Watch out for any updates that affect the login manager.

When it is done: systemctl reboot and try again to log in as user via the login manager.

Last edited by unklar (2022-06-12 08:21:44)

#1765 2022-06-12 20:19:46

Nili
Website

Martin wrote:

I decided to give Fedora a spin on a virtual machine earlier in the week. I had no luck. The live session boots but all I get in the end is an empty and dead desktop. I get a blue-grey background and the top bar with clock, shut down button etc but nothing works.

Any ideas on what might be the issue?
I am using Virtualbox. I have used VB for trying out both Linux distros and BSDs and have never seen this before.

/Martin

Hello Martin, only Fedora forum can tell you something by pasting errors/virtualbox/xorg/wayland logs, i did upgrade from a fixed workstation. I'm lucky as i am a complete beginner in fedora. luckily I had no issues during upgrades.

Unfortunately I have not advanced to this OS, I'm not fast as i have been on my early Debian time. Sorry mate, only an orientation i can tell you pay a visit to the fedora forum.

Fedora GNOME / Devuan XFCE
Roots heritage #!

#1766 2022-06-14 14:32:55

Colonel Panic

unklar wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

inxi -SGxxx

or
Which desktop?
Which login manager?

First, refresh the system. Don't log in via the login screen, but press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log in as root. Then run apt update && apt dist-upgrade. Watch out for any updates that affect the login manager.

When it is done: systemctl reboot and try again to log in as user via the login manager.

Thanks, will write all this down to use later (I'm not in Siduction at the moment).

#1767 2022-06-19 12:59:45

Colonel Panic

Currently testing Exton's spin of MX-21, as a live disk. It has LXQT as its window manager and looks pretty good, except that as usual for an Exton release you have to install your own office suite, which I think is odd for a distro / spin with a 2.8 GB download size;

https://www.exton.se/mx-linux-exton-rem … ld-220524/

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2022-06-19 22:34:33)

#1768 2022-06-21 19:43:11

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

Is LXQT using mutter for Window Manager?
They used to run on openbox, but think I read somewhere that they changed the default to mutter.

#1769 2022-06-22 18:00:55

Colonel Panic

malm wrote:

Is LXQT using mutter for Window Manager?
They used to run on openbox, but think I read somewhere that they changed the default to mutter.

I had a quick google for this, and it doesn't appear that it uses mutter as standard although it seems it can be made to use it;

https://www.reddit.com/r/LXQt/comments/ … d_support/

#1770 2022-06-22 18:03:13

Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic wrote:
unklar wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

inxi -SGxxx

or
Which desktop?
Which login manager?

Thanks, will write all this down to use later (I'm not in Siduction at the moment).

I find I'm getting freeze-ups when I try this;

inxi -SGxxx

though I'm not quite sure why. I'm in Mabox at the moment (which I've just updated) but will try again later.

Board footer