You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-17 11:06:35

sexynsmartjenny

a simple video editor or cutter

Does anyone know if there is a simple video editor or video cutter that I can use to edit videos on linux?

I used to use kdenlive but it's so extremely slow. A 10 minute video took over several hours to compile, and not to mention it constant crashes.

I just had a really bad user experience with kdenlive.

Is there a program that is sleek, doesn't use a lot of graphic card and easy to use?

#2 2021-07-17 12:59:06

Martin
Website

Re: a simple video editor or cutter

Blender may not check the "easy" box but it works for me and I use a 10 year old computer with CPU-integrated (Intel core i3) graphics. There are tutorials on youtube. Check them out.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#3 2021-07-23 12:12:27

ohnonot
...again

Only cutting & sticking together?
Please check kdenlive's settings, there must be an option to NOT (re-)encode the resulting cut.

FWIW; I always use ffmpeg for this sort of stuff.

See:

But I had recorded two separate scenes, which now had to be slightly trimmed and concatenated.

Trim first - example:

$ ffmpeg -i output2.mkv -t 00:02:36 -acodec copy -vcodec copy output2-a.mkv

It starts at zero by default (if not, use the -ss option) and uses the first 2min 36s.

Next one needs to create a text file (let's call it list.txt) with a list of files to be concatenated:

file 'output1-a.mkv'
file 'output2-a.mkv'

and then concatenate like this:

$ ffmpeg -f concat -safe 0 -i list.txt -c copy output-full.mkv

And:

Cut a video without re-encoding at keyframes only (forsaking time accuracy), and without messing up timestamps:

ffmpeg -noaccurate_seek -ss [START_TIME] -i [INPUT] -t [DURATION] -c copy -avoid_negative_ts make_zero [OUTPUT]

As always with ffmpeg, the order of the options is relevant. Either -ss [START_TIME] or -t [DURATION] can be omitted.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#4 2021-07-23 12:51:02

Martin
Website

I should maybe add that I do 720p videos. 1080p is twice the file size.

8 GB RAM.

FFMPEG is great and I think it is lurking in the background of many GUI programs.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#5 2021-07-23 13:41:37

twoion
一期一会

Davinci Resolve is available as freeware for Linux, Windows & Mac for private use. It's world-class commercial  software and with that has all the bells and whistles, but it's UI is only as complex as you need it to be. So you should be fine trying it out! They invest in user research so ... the UX should be better than kdenlive.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc … ciresolve/

I used to use kdenlive but it's so extremely slow. A 10 minute video took over several hours to compile, and not to mention it constant crashes.

Depending on the settings and postprocessing steps, video editing is still heavy duty compute work that can only be significantly accelerated by having a more powerful CPU or offloading compute workloads to similarly high specced GPUs. But if you choose low enough settings, things should be manageble in most cases.

#6 2021-07-28 06:00:34

ohnonot
...again

twoion wrote:

Depending on the settings and postprocessing steps, video editing is still heavy duty compute work that can only be significantly accelerated by having a more powerful CPU or offloading compute workloads to similarly high specced GPUs. But if you choose low enough settings, things should be manageble in most cases.

I think the problem here is that some video editors default to re-encoding, and that is always resource intensive.

However, simple cut and paste operations do not require re-encoding (see my previous post, the '-c copy' option) and are much, much faster.

I'll stress it again: Lossless cut and paste editing is possible with ffmpeg and is the fastest option.
It imposes a few challenges regarding [keyframes](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyframe) but I'm sure ffmpeg can provide full precision by only re-encoding tiny parts of the video, if your cut isn't exactly on a keyframe.

#7 2021-07-28 11:21:09

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

The old workflow, from times of really slow machines, was to find a sweet spot for machine/software, it involves mostly transcoding material to more edit-friendly codec (usually something I-frame only) and then using that as source (possibly swaping with original material on last export). The dumbest/slowest your komputor/software is the more one was force into that sort of 'offline' workflow. Same logic can be used today if needed.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2021-07-29 04:11:30)

#8 2021-07-28 16:51:34

jeffreyC

On the MX Linux forum this was mentioned by a well experienced user:

https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/

For at least some simple cutting jobs it appears that it does not re-encode the video file.

#9 2021-08-01 00:22:49

sexynsmartjenny

jeffreyC wrote:

For at least some simple cutting jobs it appears that it does not re-encode the video file.

Do you happen to know how to install it on debian linux? I don't see an option for debian, it seems.

#10 2021-08-01 10:27:42

jeffreyC

sexynsmartjenny wrote:
jeffreyC wrote:

Do you happen to know how to install it on debian linux? I don't see an option for debian, it seems.

The member who mentioned it uses MX Linux, which is Debian based.
Some .deb packages listed as for Ubuntu will work just fine on Debian; it is dependencies that cause problems, also there is an appimage offered.

Using Thunar file manager I have this in my custom actions:

Install Deb Files

Install deb packages and dependencies with apt

x-terminal-emulator -e bash -c "sudo apt install %F; echo;read -n 1 -s -r -p 'press any key to close'"

Makes it easier to install a .deb and is more reliable than gdebi.

Last edited by jeffreyC (2021-08-01 10:28:59)

#11 2021-08-01 11:44:36

rbh

sexynsmartjenny wrote:

Current versions of shutterencoder deb's and appimages can be downloaded from https://www.shutterencoder.com/old%20versions/Linux.

But, there is only 64 bit version. I vagely remember you used an old 32 bit pc...

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#12 2021-08-01 14:11:38

snubbi

I have been using openshot https://www.openshot.org/ since 2014. Easy to use and can do a lot compared to many of the other video editors

“Do all the good you can, for all the people you can, in all the ways you can, as long as you can.” — Hillary Clinton.

#13 2021-08-12 15:27:02

xuve

JeffreyC thank you very much I was looking for this kind of video merger and this one you indicated did the job in the wink of an eye...
I downloaded Shutter Encoder 15.3 Linux 64bits.deb  from the site and Right-clicked to install it using Debian package installer and launched it then added some 8 files and merged all of them in less than a minute... then checked the merged file and everything was great...
Thanks again xxxxreyx

#14 2021-08-28 09:43:40

xuve

here  I am back again to rectify my first impression on Shutter Encoder version 15.3
I did choose this time a 4 giga .mkv file but the result was terrible and I got this info when the encoding finished unsuccessfully

.... .mkv
FFprobe:       _STATISTICS_TAGS: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES
FFmpeg:     Last message repeated 1 times

and it gives the same message every time I repeat the cumbersome encoding process
as far as the console is concerned it gives lengthy info (some pages) about the video
from which I show you just this sample

console
ffprobe version N-102567-g9b131e8500 Copyright (c) 2007-2021 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 7 (Ubuntu 7.5.0-3ubuntu1~18.04)
  configuration: --pkg-config-flags=--static --extra-libs='-lpthread -lm -lz' --extra-ldexeflags=-static --enable-static --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --disable-shared --enable-ffprobe --enable-indevs --disable-ffplay --disable-ffmpeg --disable-doc --disable-encoders --disable-swresample --disable-swscale --disable-postproc --disable-muxers --disable-hwaccels --disable-htmlpages --disable-manpages --disable-podpages --disable-txtpages --disable-autodetect --disable-bsfs --disable-outdevs --disable-parsers
  libavutil      57.  0.100 / 57.  0.100
  libavcodec     59.  1.100 / 59.  1.100
  libavformat    59.  2.100 / 59.  2.100
  libavdevice    59.  0.100 / 59.  0.100
  libavfilter     8.  0.101 /  8.  0.101
[matroska,webm @ 0x3383780] Unsupported encoding typeUnsupported encoding typeUnsupported encoding typeUnsupported encoding typeCould not find codec parameters for stream 2 (Subtitle: hdmv_pgs_subtitle (pgssub)): unspecified size
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' (0) and 'probesize' (5000000) options
[matroska,webm @ 0x3383780] Could not find codec parameters for stream 3 (Subtitle: hdmv_pgs_subtitle (pgssub)): unspecified size
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' (0) and 'probesize' (5000000) options
[matroska,webm @ 0x3383780] Could not find codec parameters for stream 4 (Subtitle: hdmv_pgs_subtitle (pgssub)): unspecified size
[matroska,webm @ 0x3383780] Could not find codec parameters for stream 5 (Subtitle: hdmv_pgs_subtitle (pgssub)): unspecified size
Input #0, matroska,webm, from '/media/ben/C:/The-Vault/The Vault.mkv':
  Metadata:
    encoder         : libebml v1.4.2 + libmatroska v1.6.4
    creation_time   : 2021-06-28T22:50:56.000000Z
  Duration: 01:58:19.23, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 5172 kb/s
  Chapters:
    Chapter #0:0: start 0.000000, end 419.002000
      Metadata:
        title           : Chapter 01
    Chapter #0:1: start 419.002000, end 645.144000
      Metadata:
        title           : Chapter 02
    Chapter #0:2: start 645.144000, end 1210.793000
      Metadata:
        title           : Chapter 03
    Chapter #0:3: start 1210.793000, end 1520.227000
      Metadata:
        title           : Chapter 04
    Chapter #0:4: start 1520.227000, end 1940.605000
      Metadata:
        title           : Chapter 05
    Chapter #0:5: start 1940.605000, end 2342.924000
      Metadata:
        title           : Chapter 06
    Chapter #0:6: start 2342.924000, end 2765.304000
      Metadata:
ETC ETC ETC

now I need to remove Shutter Encoder 15.3 Linux 64bits.deb because it hasn't yet met the minimal requirements of Bunsenlabs ...for me....I wonder why it is classified as '"OTHER"  in Applications and not as Multimedia (like VLC) or Utilities.... and I also wonder why it has got to version 15.3 while for example some pillars of Linux (such as Gimp or Blender or even Makehuman) are just 2. something versions....the answer for me is that they take time to test and retest and re-invent..
It's not the number of the version that makes the engineering inside...Sorry...
If this tool is developed better with more insight...it needs to change its name and interface as users often will not revisit it due to past misadventures...

#15 2021-08-31 06:49:15

ohnonot
...again

xuve wrote:

I did choose this time a 4 giga .mkv file but the result was terrible and I got this info when the encoding finished unsuccessfully

What sort of file? You can run mediainfo or ffprobe on it and tell us. MKV is just a container...
Define "result was terrible".
Define "unsuccesfully".
And most importantly, what exactly were you trying to do with that file? AFAICS shutter-encoder is a video codec converter. Are you trying to convert video from one format to another? Why?

.... .mkv
FFprobe:       _STATISTICS_TAGS: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES

I did a web search for that message. I don't know much about shutter-encoder, but results suggest that at least for ffmpeg this is an informational message only, not an error. Feel free to have a closer look at those search results.
Also please do not arbitrarily "curate" command output. Unless you know what you're looking for, post complete logs/messages/output. Use a pastebin if it's too much text for the forum.

Please make sure you at least attempt to answer all these question/requests.

I also wonder why it has got to version 15.3 while for example some pillars of Linux (such as Gimp or Blender or even Makehuman) are just 2. something versions

Versioning should follow strict rules, but some app developers don't care and think that constantly increasing major version numbers makes their work appear mature.

#16 2021-09-04 09:22:03

xuve

@ohnonot
sorry didn't see your post earlier, I am just glad I removed that app correctly with the help of BL I didn't want to go into much trouble with that console running pages and pages of text...I can't post all that stuff as I removed the application. At the beginning, I tried to convert an .mkv movie into mp4 while keeping English subtitles on screen  because I wanted to watch that on Tv (otherwise I can easily watch that on Lithium using BL media player- by the way I know the difference between BL media player and VLC, which most users don't bother to know) So I chose as action video conversion with mp4 output and in advanced options I did choose subtitles on...but the application goes bananas when I start the conversion and I find an endless folder that it creates in Documents Folder with lots of folders and stuff maybe for conversion purposes but it's a helluva pile of folders and I did try the same in windows and the application creates a huge pile of folders in the folder Appdata temp and gives the same error of output. I will try to go back to windows 7 and reinstall the application then I will report the problems...

#17 2021-09-04 15:15:35

xuve

Ok here I am again at the BL Forensics...with my findings
So to start with I explain why i used that application:I had  a movie with subtitles and I wanted to watch it without sound (late a t night some people don't like to be woken up with movie sounds and if you watched the movie Vault)you'd know that without warning the crowds/fans just shout real loud...so I wanted to watch the movie with just the subtitles on. I used to do that with a video converter (ultimate video Xilisoft or something on windows) but I found out it's a spy application, so I was really happy to find a Linux aplication to use on BL  Lithium. Great...Then I installed and ran the application to extract the subtitles and use them with an mp4 format to watch on TV since the original file is a matroska video format.I could use BL media player to convert the mkv but the subtitles don't show when you convert on VLC/i.e., BL media player. So on shutter encoder on the left you choose the function, which is extract and on the right you choose the type which is subtitling....click start and then some terrible sounds come from all over the place....boom boom boom and you see this screen...
shutter encoder alerts

in fact there are 7 more warning windows similar to the first one that appear one after the other as soon as you close the previous one....
and then the console behind  after you click show console and you can't get to the windows behind unless you close the front one first....
more warning messages

The console text and the folder created in the Temp folder of C:/user/appdata/Temp are to be downloaded from here
cache and console

#18 2021-09-04 15:17:20

xuve

sorry I tested the download link and it's not working I'll fix this

#19 2021-09-04 15:26:35

xuve

I think this is a working link for the files
link to cache and console text

#20 2021-09-04 17:47:10

rbh

xuve wrote:

I think this is a working link for the files

Link is expired.

I don't get it. You was glad about link to shutter, you had searched for "this kind of video merger and this one you indicated did the job in the wink of an eye...".

Then you becomes disapointed when you are using it for converting. In other thread, you asked advice for uninstalling Shutter Encoder, so you choosed not to use it.

Then in this thread: "a simple video editor or cutter" you continue write about problem when converting with Shutter Encoder. You tried to share logs from C:/user/appdata/Temp, that is when you are using Windows.

This is a forum for BunsenLabs Linux! Not applications for windows.

If you want support for Shutter Encoder, open a new thread about that.
If you only want to slander Shutter Encoder on linux, open a thread in forum BL & General Linux Discussion.

Last edited by rbh (2021-09-04 17:48:18)

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#21 2021-09-04 17:54:09

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

@Xuve, various thoughts
a. Most video players have the ability to mute sound (or devices), so not sure what would you need to change the files?
b. Mpv also has various audio filters that one can configure to reduce dynamics of the sound (loudnorm with LRA set to around 5). Pretty sure vlc has something similar.

edit: I had this cycler in my mpv input.conf, cycles between no filter, slight dynamic reduction and lots of dynamic reduction

# enable/disable loudnorm (r128) audio filter, syntax probably changed for newer mpv versions
F1 cycle-values af "" "lavfi=[loudnorm=LRA=10:I=-17]" "lavfi=[loudnorm=LRA=5:I=-17]"

c. 'Correct' tool for remuxing mkv files is usually mkvtoolnix-gui (should be in repos).

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2021-09-04 18:05:40)

#22 2021-09-04 19:16:46

seppalta
Website

The ffmpeg command for trimming (cutting) has the following form:

ffmpeg -i input -ss ??:??:??.? -c copy -t ??:??:??.? output

Here, input is the name of the video (for example, Beethoven.mp4), output is your chosen name for the cut (for example, Beethoven-sonata.mp4) and ??:??:??.? are relevant times in hours:minutes:seconds. The first time in the command (follows -ss) is the starting time of the cut; the second time (follows -t) is the length or extent of the cut. Best quality is generally obtained by making the least (no) changes in the format. Thus,

ffmpeg -i Beethoven.mp4 -ss 00:13:26.0 -c copy -t 00:34:01.5 Beethoven-sonata.mp4

would create a new video named Beethoven-sonata.mp4 with length 34 minutes and 1.5 seconds, identical (equal in quality) to the part of Beethoven.mp4 between 13 minutes, 26 seconds and 47 minutes, 27.5 seconds. The command should be issued from the directory containing Beethoven.mp4, which is where Beethoven-sonata.mp4 will appear. You can do multiple cuts in the same input with a single command by simply adding a segment

-ss ??:??:??.? -c copy -t ??:??:??.? output

in the command for each cut.

#23 2021-09-08 01:18:15

leodova

I've used Losslesscut in windows and it's super easy. I see there's a linux version, too.

https://www.mifi.no/losslesscut/

https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut

#24 2021-09-10 11:16:50

xuve

@ rbh
link updated here for 1 month-period

#25 2021-09-10 11:26:42

xuve

@ rbh yes I am glad I removed it from Lithium like some other applications too but I keep the ones that are useful for me...I am free to do this aren't I?
I am sending the files and re-opening the discussion of the problem why I removed it but I am just using windows 7 for this because it's the same problem on both systems (windows and Linux) and i am doing this because ohnonot asked for clarifications....Do you think I don't know the difference between forums for windows and this one...?! I am really happy to be on this forum so I learn from some people....but I have an experience (on windows macintosh and linux) as a user and I know what's useful for me....

Board footer