You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-17 11:06:35

sexynsmartjenny

a simple video editor or cutter

Does anyone know if there is a simple video editor or video cutter that I can use to edit videos on linux?

I used to use kdenlive but it's so extremely slow. A 10 minute video took over several hours to compile, and not to mention it constant crashes.

I just had a really bad user experience with kdenlive.

Is there a program that is sleek, doesn't use a lot of graphic card and easy to use?

#2 2021-07-17 12:59:06

Martin
Website

Re: a simple video editor or cutter

Blender may not check the "easy" box but it works for me and I use a 10 year old computer with CPU-integrated (Intel core i3) graphics. There are tutorials on youtube. Check them out.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#3 2021-07-23 12:12:27

ohnonot
...again

Only cutting & sticking together?
Please check kdenlive's settings, there must be an option to NOT (re-)encode the resulting cut.

FWIW; I always use ffmpeg for this sort of stuff.

See:

But I had recorded two separate scenes, which now had to be slightly trimmed and concatenated.

Trim first - example:

$ ffmpeg -i output2.mkv -t 00:02:36 -acodec copy -vcodec copy output2-a.mkv

It starts at zero by default (if not, use the -ss option) and uses the first 2min 36s.

Next one needs to create a text file (let's call it list.txt) with a list of files to be concatenated:

file 'output1-a.mkv'
file 'output2-a.mkv'

and then concatenate like this:

$ ffmpeg -f concat -safe 0 -i list.txt -c copy output-full.mkv

And:

Cut a video without re-encoding at keyframes only (forsaking time accuracy), and without messing up timestamps:

ffmpeg -noaccurate_seek -ss [START_TIME] -i [INPUT] -t [DURATION] -c copy -avoid_negative_ts make_zero [OUTPUT]

As always with ffmpeg, the order of the options is relevant. Either -ss [START_TIME] or -t [DURATION] can be omitted.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#4 2021-07-23 12:51:02

Martin
Website

I should maybe add that I do 720p videos. 1080p is twice the file size.

8 GB RAM.

FFMPEG is great and I think it is lurking in the background of many GUI programs.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#5 2021-07-23 13:41:37

twoion
ほやほや

Davinci Resolve is available as freeware for Linux, Windows & Mac for private use. It's world-class commercial  software and with that has all the bells and whistles, but it's UI is only as complex as you need it to be. So you should be fine trying it out! They invest in user research so ... the UX should be better than kdenlive.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc … ciresolve/

I used to use kdenlive but it's so extremely slow. A 10 minute video took over several hours to compile, and not to mention it constant crashes.

Depending on the settings and postprocessing steps, video editing is still heavy duty compute work that can only be significantly accelerated by having a more powerful CPU or offloading compute workloads to similarly high specced GPUs. But if you choose low enough settings, things should be manageble in most cases.

Nassdachs

Board footer