You are not logged in.

#26 2021-06-30 23:23:22

Colonel Panic

Re: Tiling window managers in Bunsen by default

I've had computer troubles over the last week which turned out to be a failing component in my monitor (probably a capacitor) rendering the display too dim to be readable, so for the time being I'm using a much smaller monitor (a 15" Dell instead of a 22" Eizo) and at a lower display resolution, 1024x768 instead of 1680x1050 as before.

Although the monitor is a good one for its size, I really appreciate being able to use a tiling window manager that is able to make the most of the available screen space; I'm using i3 right now.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-06-30 23:33:39)

#27 2021-07-01 00:18:06

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Colonel Panic wrote:

I've had computer troubles over the last week which turned out to be a failing component in my monitor (probably a capacitor) rendering the display too dim to be readable, so for the time being I'm using a much smaller monitor (a 15" Dell instead of a 22" Eizo) and at a lower display resolution, 1024x768 instead of 1680x1050 as before.

Although the monitor is a good one for its size, I really appreciate being able to use a tiling window manager that is able to make the most of the available screen space; I'm using i3 right now.

Monitor issues like that may mean a failing inverter  board or backlight. Usually that means you have to replace the panel as the backlight is usually builtin to the LCD panel. An inverter is fairly easy to replace if you are able to find one that's made for the Eizo, and if you are handy enough to take the bezel off.

My suggestion is to replace the monitor with something like 24" if you can afford that.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-07-01 00:20:36)

Real Men Use Linux

#28 2021-07-01 01:45:30

hhh
Meep!
Website

^ You can get a good one starting at $140 USD...

https://www.newegg.com/acer-15-full-hd/ … 6824011348

#29 2021-07-01 21:12:31

Colonel Panic

DeepDayze wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

Monitor issues like that may mean a failing inverter  board or backlight. Usually that means you have to replace the panel as the backlight is usually builtin to the LCD panel. An inverter is fairly easy to replace if you are able to find one that's made for the Eizo, and if you are handy enough to take the bezel off.

My suggestion is to replace the monitor with something like 24" if you can afford that.

Thanks for the advice (and hhh too). Now that I've got a monitor that works I'm in no desperate rush to get a new one, but a 24" monitor does sound nice - the one thing I have to be careful about though is that it must take a 15-pin VGA connector (the blue one with two screws, one on either side) as that's what is on the side of my motherboard.

I don't think I'll be getting the old one fixed - I contacted Eizo, but they told me they don't have travelling repair technicians able to work on people's monitors in situ and, if I sent it back to their service centre in Ascot (near London) to be fixed, the inspection charge alone would be £90 + VAT. I can get a new monitor (though not a 24" one, or an Eizo) for that.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-07-01 22:37:10)

#30 2021-07-02 02:49:44

hhh
Meep!
Website

I got my monitor for free when some people moved out around the corner and left it on the sidewalk. Also, check the pawnshops.

#31 2021-07-02 03:10:29

DeepDayze

Colonel Panic wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

Thanks for the advice (and hhh too). Now that I've got a monitor that works I'm in no desperate rush to get a new one, but a 24" monitor does sound nice - the one thing I have to be careful about though is that it must take a 15-pin VGA connector (the blue one with two screws, one on either side) as that's what is on the side of my motherboard.

I don't think I'll be getting the old one fixed - I contacted Eizo, but they told me they don't have travelling repair technicians able to work on people's monitors in situ and, if I sent it back to their service centre in Ascot (near London) to be fixed, the inspection charge alone would be £90 + VAT. I can get a new monitor (though not a 24" one, or an Eizo) for that.

Dell has a number of 24" monitors with VGA connectors and you can even find one used.

Real Men Use Linux

#32 2021-07-02 06:22:01

ohnonot
...again

Colonel Panic wrote:

I've had computer troubles over the last week which turned out to be a failing component in my monitor (probably a capacitor) rendering the display too dim to be readable

If it really is a capacitor, I once succeeded in replacing those in a monitor, with a standard crappy non-electronic soldering gun (in retrospect I should've sprung the extra credit for a finer one, I got one now).
Took careful internet research to find the very specific capacitors I need. I think they even sold them as an assorted pack specifically for this board.
That was maybe 5 years ago.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)
My Repos: notabug | framagit

#33 2021-07-03 13:03:29

Colonel Panic

ohnonot wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

I've had computer troubles over the last week which turned out to be a failing component in my monitor (probably a capacitor) rendering the display too dim to be readable

If it really is a capacitor, I once succeeded in replacing those in a monitor, with a standard crappy non-electronic soldering gun (in retrospect I should've sprung the extra credit for a finer one, I got one now).
Took careful internet research to find the very specific capacitors I need. I think they even sold them as an assorted pack specifically for this board.
That was maybe 5 years ago.

Thanks for the advice (and the others too). I'd be too nervous to open up a monitor though, knowing how much charge one of those capacitors can pack (the ones they used to use in CRT monitors could kill you). I think it's a job for either a professional or someone else who really knows what they're doing.

Hhh and DeepDayze; I'm looking online at the moment to see what's available in the way of monitors. From what I understand, one of the big divides is whether monitors are optimised for gaming (and thus need very fast response times) or for colour fidelity, which would be of more interest to me as I'm not a gamer.

I'm also interested in filtered monitors, which remove the frequencies of mostly blue light which I've read can cause eyestrain and interfere with sleep. I think most of the major monitor companies produce ones that do that, and they're not overly expensive.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-07-05 09:04:47)

#34 2021-07-04 06:13:41

ohnonot
...again

You're welcome.

Colonel Panic wrote:

I'd be too nervous to open up a monitor though

Don't be.
Speaking for electr(on)ic devices in general, you'd be amazed how often you can fix it by doing something that absolutely does not require you to be a professional. If, additionally, you are not averse to soldering, you can fix even more.

knowing how much charge one of those capacitors can pack (the ones they used to use in CRT monitors could kill you).

The largest was smaller than my thumbnail.

I 'm also interested in filtered monitors, which remove the frequencies of mostly blue light which I've read can cause eyestrain and interfere with sleep. I think most of the major monitor companies produce ones that do that, and they're not overly expensive.

You know there's software solutions for that, like redshift, or simply xrandr?

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)
My Repos: notabug | framagit

#35 2021-07-04 06:28:42

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Colonel Panic wrote:

knowing how much charge one of those capacitors can pack (the ones they used to use in CRT monitors could kill you)...

I'm not sure whether small size these days rules out holding a lethal charge, but CRT's used to run on very high voltages, which made any attempt at home repair of TVs highly dangerous. OTOH the highest voltage I'd expect to run into on any modern IT equipment (outside of the PSU) would be 30 or so, which is quite harmless to humans. Much greater is the danger of the human killing the device!

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#36 2021-07-04 15:53:22

DeepDayze

johnraff wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

knowing how much charge one of those capacitors can pack (the ones they used to use in CRT monitors could kill you)...

I'm not sure whether small size these days rules out holding a lethal charge, but CRT's used to run on very high voltages, which made any attempt at home repair of TVs highly dangerous. OTOH the highest voltage I'd expect to run into on any modern IT equipment (outside of the PSU) would be 30 or so, which is quite harmless to humans. Much greater is the danger of the human killing the device!

I am sure LCD panel monitors run off much lower voltages than those old CRT's so safer to work on compared to CRT's.

Real Men Use Linux

#37 2021-07-05 19:49:36

Colonel Panic

DeepDayze wrote:
johnraff wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

I am sure LCD panel monitors run off much lower voltages than those old CRT's so safer to work on compared to CRT's.

Thanks (and to johnraff and ohnonot who've also contributed) but I probably won't risk it; even if the safety risk is exaggerated, it's an area where you've got to know what you're doing to know what's wrong in the first place and / or be handy with a soldering iron (which I don't have) to replace capacitors etc.

I'm normally keen on mending and repairing things instead of throwing them away, but I think this is a step too far for me. I'm scanning the ads at the moment looking for a new (or good refurbished) monitor. Thanks again anyway.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-07-05 19:50:10)

#38 2021-08-09 09:30:19

Colonel Panic

I've recently updated my i3 configuration; I've "Regolithed" it by adding another 10 workspaces (Regolith has 20) and increasing the size of the font. The only thing I'd like to change is the fact that the time display updates every 5 seconds instead of every second, but that's not very important.

There should be another, bigger monitor coming soon too; I've ordered another Dell, a 19" UltraSharp. Bunsen actually works just fine with my 15" monitor at 1024x768 but I find that some other distros don't.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-08-10 13:30:48)

Board footer