#26 2021-01-11 06:27:26

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: BunsenLabs Lithium ARM edition...

jimjamz wrote:
johnraff wrote:

...give it to apt like this

sudo apt install $( < path/to/packagelist )

I did not know you could do that! As a software engineer, Git knowledge is not an issue, but unfortunately, my knowledge of Debian's package management...

Actually, this isn't apt, it's a feature of Bash (the default shell).

$(<file)

is a way of reading a file into a string. As there are no quotes around the "variable" being dereferenced, the file content will be subject to the shell's word-splitting, ie the line-breaks in the file will be replaced by spaces. In this particular case, that's just what you want.

PS only bash and zsh (as far as I know) support that syntax.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#27 2021-01-11 06:52:43

ohnonot
...again

jimjamz wrote:

I did not know you could do that! As a software engineer, Git knowledge is not an issue, but unfortunately, my knowledge of Debian's package management and building my own distribution remains a weakness;

This is simple shell command line and scripting knowledge. You'd do well to learn about it. You can use it with git as well, and in just about any situation.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#28 2021-01-18 18:05:45

jimjamz

I did another fresh install of Raspberry Pi OS Lite, updated and upgraded APT, then added the signing keys and updated /etc/apt/sources.list as before, with the necessary Debian and BunsenLabs repositories.
I then installed BunsenLabs with my own package list as @JohnRaff had suggested.

The install came in at around roughly 1704MB.

I rebooted and observed the following:
lvm2-monitor failed to start.
NetworkManager failed to start, despite several attempts during boot.

I wanted to check the stautus of these failures:

sudo systemctl status lv2-monitor.service
sudo systemctl status NetworkManager.service

but the response was empty.
Could these services be missing?  But the <TAB> auto-complete found the .service

I tried to start the X window system with `startx` but received:

xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

Does the X server need to be configured separately?

#29 2021-01-18 18:27:13

rbh

when I run "systemctl status lv2-monitor.service", system reports: "Unit lv2-monitor.service could not be found". You should get that answer if the serice is missing or else a status report.
What do you mean with "But the <TAB> auto-complete found the .service".

Nowadays, you do not need to configure Xorg. But, you need drivers for the graphics. Have you run hw-probe?

Do you start up in multiuser or failsafe mode? If not starting in multiuser mode, the network and networkmanager will not start.

Last edited by rbh (2021-01-18 18:27:55)

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#30 2021-01-19 06:03:40

ohnonot
...again

jimjamz, so you are trying to make BL as lightweight as possible by removing packages?
It would appear that you removed one or two packages too many?

Does systemctl or journalctl react at all when invoked?

Did you mean lvm2-monitor? AFAIU it has something to do with encrypted partitions, do you even need that?
And networkmanager - if you have only one network connection (preferably wired) you don't need that either.

#31 2021-01-19 07:19:16

rbh

ohnonot wrote:

Did you mean lvm2-monitor? AFAIU it has something to do with encrypted partitions, do you even need that?

Yes, he wrote above lvm2-monitor failed to start.

● lvm2-monitor.service - Monitoring of LVM2 mirrors, snapshots etc. using dmeventd or progress polling

If LVM is used, it might be good to monitor...

// Regards rbh

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#32 2021-01-19 19:17:57

jimjamz

`hw-probe` is not available on the distribution.  Similarly, I cannot use `lspci -k`:

pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
lscpi: Cannot find any working access method

`lshw -C display` also provides no information and the command does not respond correctly and just hangs.

From what I've read in other sources, all that I am missing is a desktop environment.  I shouldn't have to install a graphics driver:
https://dustinpfister.github.io/2020/03 … rver-xorg/
https://raspberrytips.com/upgrade-raspb … nvironment
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view … p?p=890408

openbox appears to already be installed from installing my own custom bunsen-meta package list.

Using this docker walkthrough as a guide on the steps I may be missing, I realised that I need to run `bunsenlabs-session` to create the necessary configuration, directories and environment variables.  Everything seemed to go well, except:

xrdb: Can't open display ''
/usr/bin/bunsenlabs-session: cannot merge /home/pi/.Xresources
Openbox Message: Failed to open the display from the DISPLAY environment variable.

I have a local .Xauthority directory but it is empty.

#33 2021-01-19 19:39:14

jimjamz

Hmm, my post from yesterday evening around 22:30 does not seem to have made it to the forum.
Once again then, in brief:

rbh wrote:

when I run "systemctl status lv2-monitor.service", system reports: "Unit lv2-monitor.service could not be found". You should get that answer if the serice is missing or else a status report.

Sorry, typo. Missing 'm'. Should be `systemctl status lv2m-monitor.service`

What do you mean with "But the <TAB> auto-complete found the .service".

I was trying to say that when I start typing "systemctl status lvm-2" then hit the <TAB> key, it auto-completes the command to: "systemctl status lv2m

$ sudo systemctl status lv2m-monitor.service
$

-monitor.service", meaning that the service does exist, and isn't missing.  Just an empty response when running it:
Sorry if it was confusing.

Do you start up in multiuser or failsafe mode? If not starting in multiuser mode, the network and networkmanager will not start.

Not sure.  I would imagine it to be multiuser as I have to specify the username and password on startup.

ohnonot wrote:

jimjamz, so you are trying to make BL as lightweight as possible by removing packages?

Not trying to be lightweight.  I'm trying to install BunsenLabs from a Raspberry Pi OS distribution.  The reason why I have chosen the 'Lite' variant over the 'Desktop' variant is because of the unnecessary desktop environment, configuration and apps not required from the 'Desktop' variant that the Raspberry Pi Foundation bundle in.

No.

Did you mean lvm2-monitor?

It's not about whether I need it.  It's about recording the results I find during the process.

#34 2021-01-19 20:36:01

rbh

rbh wrote:

jimjamz wrote:

Sorry, typo. Missing 'm'. Should be `systemctl status lv2m-monitor.service`

lv2 is an audioservice. Whichever service you ask for its status, you should get statusreport if present, else info that it is missing.

rbh wrote:

Not sure.  I would imagine it to be multiuser as I have to specify the username and password on startup.

You have set password to boot grub? That has nothing to do with what runlevel you achive. Run command "runlevel" in terminal. "N 5" is graphical multiuser mode.

ohnonot wrote:

No.

Then your system is broken. command "systemctl", should page through all services and devices.
Does comand "ls /lib/systemd/system/" give a lista of any services? Can you get status for any service, stop, start restart?

Is Pi your only computer? You should compare your system with a functional one...

It's not about whether I need it.  It's about recording the results I find during the process.

If you do not need it, you can gain more free resources if you disable or uninstall...

Last edited by rbh (2021-01-19 20:42:45)

// Regards rbh

#35 2021-01-20 06:39:12

ohnonot
...again

jimjamz, once again: Did you mean lvm2.service? Not lv2, not lv2m? your computer doesn't take kindly to typos, the command line hasn't mastered fuzzy logic yet.

Unfortunately it looks like this:

I prefer to build my systems the other way round: basics first, and then put only what I really need on top.

Last edited by ohnonot (2021-01-20 06:40:37)

#36 2021-01-21 15:13:34

jimjamz

rbh wrote:

lv2 is an audioservice. Whichever service you ask for its status, you should get statusreport if present, else info that it is missing.

Another typo by me.  It doesn't help I'm manually typing these out: lvm2-monitor.service

rbh wrote:

You have set password to boot grub? That has nothing to do with what runlevel you achive. Run command "runlevel" in terminal. "N 5" is graphical multiuser mode.

At what stage do you have to set the password for grub?  This is not done during the Raspberry Pi OS installation and configuration stage.  Neither, is this done during the bunsen-meta package install stage.  Installing bunsenlabs packages this way does not mean that the usual BunsenLabs installation procedure is invoked.  Therefore, I am unable to set password for grub or configure partitions for LUKS encryption like a user is able to during the setup stage.
What would be the BunsenLabs setup procedure post-package installation?  So far, I have only run `bunsenlabs-session`.  Perhaps there are some other steps I have missed?

rbh wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

jimjamz wrote:

No.

Then your system is broken. command "systemctl", should page through all services and devices.
Does comand "ls /lib/systemd/system/" give a lista of any services? Can you get status for any service, stop, start restart?

`ls /lib/systemd/system/` lists all services as expected.  It is the response from the `systemctl` command that returns an empty response regardless of the service passed into the command.

Although `systemctl status NetworkManager.service` returns an empty response, systemctl must be functioning in some capacity.
If I start to type `systemctl stat<TAB>` it will complete the command parameter to `systemctl status `.  If systemctl was completely broken and not active, it wouldn't be able to successfully auto-complete.

rbh wrote:

Is Pi your only computer? You should compare your system with a functional one...

No, I have BL on several different devices.

#37 2021-01-21 17:51:17

rbh

jimjamz wrote:
rbh wrote:

At what stage do you have to set the password for grub?

I never set a password for Grub... Do not recall the option to be in standard Debian installer. 

I am unable to set password for grub or configure partitions for LUKS encryption like a user is able to during the setup stage.

? You wrote that you give password for booting. Have you installed and run "grub-mkpasswd-pbkdf2" or some other tool?

What would be the BunsenLabs setup procedure post-package installation?  So far, I have only run `bunsenlabs-session`.  Perhaps there are some other steps I have missed?

?? how can you run bunsenlabs-session, when you can't start X?

Often I don't run bl-welcome script. Before I should run it, I have to edit sources to poinht to my local server, where I mirror sources. So, I just kill that terminal window and continue to install services and applications I want. I think that is sufficient.
Have you installed all bunsen-specific applications you want?

`ls /lib/systemd/system/` lists all services as expected.  It is the response from the `systemctl` command that returns an empty response regardless of the service passed into the command.

But, as I wrote before, your core function, systemd, is broken. Do you realy think it meningfull, to work on a system that is broken? Is it not beter to start anew?

Although `systemctl status NetworkManager.service` returns an empty response, systemctl must be functioning in some capacity.

But severely crippled.

// Regards rbh

#38 2021-01-21 18:24:42

rbh

If you start anew, maybe you could test work with grml-debootstrap?

Bunsenlabs Lithium Package lists Full package list (64 bit), needs to be tweaked.

Thinking to by an Pi in spring.

Last edited by rbh (2021-01-21 18:25:47)

// Regards rbh

#39 2021-01-22 15:54:03

jimjamz

rbh wrote:
jimjamz wrote:

I am unable to set password for grub or configure partitions for LUKS encryption like a user is able to during the setup stage.

? You wrote that you give password for booting. Have you installed and run "grub-mkpasswd-pbkdf2" or some other tool?

I stated that I could not set a password for grub, because I thought you were referring to the password created for LUKS encryption after grub starts.  OK, I think we're getting our wires crossed somewhat here, and also losing focus of the problem at hand.  Let's forget about the grub issue as I don't think it is key to solving the issue.

rbh wrote:

?? how can you run bunsenlabs-session, when you can't start X?

How could you have it the opposite?  The bunsenlabs-session is what creates all the necessary configuration and home profile directories, along with the .xresources and .xsession configuration.  How could X be started without those?

rbh wrote:

Often I don't run bl-welcome script. Before I should run it, I have to edit sources to poinht to my local server, where I mirror sources. So, I just kill that terminal window and continue to install services and applications I want. I think that is sufficient.
Have you installed all bunsen-specific applications you want?

I have installed only the packages that are part of the bunsen-meta-all package, with the exception of the 4 packages that are AMD64 related:

amd64-microcode
i965-va-driver
intel-microcode
xserver-xorg-video-intel

To keep it simple, I have taken the following steps:
1. Flash Raspi lite base image to the SD card.
2. Add bunsen and debian signing keys to keyring.
3. Add debian and bunsen sources to /etc/apt/sources.list
4. Apt update.
5. Apt install $( < path/to/MyCustomPackageList )   # which is bunsen-meta-all minus the 4 AMD 64 packages.
6. bunsenlabs-session

systemctl is working normally until after step 5.  Then, always an empty response from systemctl.

rbh wrote:
jimjamz wrote:

But, as I wrote before, your core function, systemd, is broken. Do you realy think it meningfull, to work on a system that is broken? Is it not beter to start anew?

I am starting anew, every time I run into an error. I re-flash the SD card from the base Raspi image and start again - as described in the above steps.  The information I gave was in in regards to the result of `ls /lib/systemd/system/`, was in response to what you asked me for:

rbh wrote:

Does comand "ls /lib/systemd/system/" give a lista of any services?

I was reporting the diagnosis of the response and my observations, not using it as justification to continue with a broken system.

Last edited by jimjamz (2021-01-22 15:54:29)

#40 2021-01-22 17:06:03

rbh

jimjamz wrote:

I was reporting the diagnosis of the response and my observations, not using it as justification to continue with a broken system.

I read that you could not start X, neither with startx, nor with bunsenlab-session...

But.. You have reinstalled several times. Every time you get problem.
Systemctl works as expected until you install Bunsenlab packages!

If you uninstall them, one at a time, and test systemctl? Restart systemd and ask status for one service? or opposite, add bunsen apps one a time and test systemctl...

Just for the sake of it, should you not also install all debian packages, not just the BL-packages? The full list is here Bunsenlabs Lithium Package lists

Du you have a harddrive attached to your Pi, or a big flashcard, så you can work with (grml-)debootstrap?

Last edited by rbh (2021-01-22 17:07:04)

// Regards rbh

#41 2021-01-22 18:08:54

rbh

cog wrote:

I still got the machine in the closet if y’all need anything else.  Let me know.  I just don’t have bandwidth in the mountains so can’t download a lot.

You are running Litium on Raspberry Pi, without any glitches/problems?

// Regards rbh

#42 2021-01-22 18:12:43

jimjamz

rbh wrote:

If you uninstall them, one at a time, and test systemctl? Restart systemd and ask status for one service? or opposite, add bunsen apps one a time and test systemctl...

I appreciate the effort to diagnose the issue, but I feel this would be rather unnecessary.
Firstly, for the amount of time and effort that would take for each package, seriously outweighs the benefit of resolving the actual problem.
We may identify what package is causing systemctl to not respond correctly, but that does not mean it helps us to successfully install BL on the Pi.  Others who have succeeded with BL installs on their Raspberry Pi have not reported such systemctl issues, so I feel it is a red herring.
Whatever is causing the systemctl issue, is perhaps due to a flaw in the process I am undertaking, and not the result of an incompatible package.

rbh wrote:

Just for the sake of it, should you not also install all debian packages, not just the BL-packages? The full list is here Bunsenlabs Lithium Package lists

I did a comparison.
Packages exclusive to bunsen-meta-all (*not* in the full package list (64-bit)):

dillo
libexo-1-0
mousepad
mpva
rxvt-unicode
bunsen-configs-lite
bunsen-os-release
bunsen-paper-icon-theme

Packages exclusive to the full package list (64-bit) (excluding `amd64-microcode`):

apt-xapian-index
aptitude
catfish
compton
enchant
filezilla
firefox-esr
fonts-cantarell
fonts-noto
fonts-noto-cjk
fonts-noto-mono
ftp
geany
ghostscript
gnome-themes-standard
gstreamer1.0-libav
gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad
gstreamer1.0-plugins-base
gstreamer1.0-plugins-good
gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly
gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio
hexchat
i965-va-driver
inotify-tools
intel-microcode
lame
libblockdev-crypto2
libreoffice-calc
libreoffice-gtk2
libreoffice-writer
lxterminal
lzop
papirus-icon-theme
rpl
thunar-media-tags-plugin
tumbler
vlc
vlc-plugin-notify
xfce4-screenshooter
xserver-xorg-video-intel
bunsen-configs
bunsen-papirus-icon-theme

The i386 package list contains only 3 additional packages, which have to be omitted for ARM:

i965-va-driver
intel-microcode
xserver-xorg-video-intel

I can combine the package lists and re-attempt a fresh install with results.

rbh wrote:

Du you have a harddrive attached to your Pi, or a big flashcard, så you can work with (grml-)debootstrap?

I have a USB stick I am using to copy the keys, sources and configuration files to the pi during this whole process.
What other purpose are you suggesting it be used for?

#43 2021-01-22 18:40:05

rbh

jimjamz wrote:
rbh wrote:

I have a USB stick I am using to copy the keys, sources and configuration files to the pi during this whole process.

With debootstrap (grml-debotstrap, is a wraper around debootstrap, ease the manage of debottstrap), you can install debian to a partition, update grub and reboot to the new installation. You can have a working machine while testing the installation of another OS.

Last edited by rbh (2021-01-22 18:40:54)

// Regards rbh

#44 2021-01-23 14:59:34

jimjamz

rbh wrote:
jimjamz wrote:
rbh wrote:

With debootstrap (grml-debotstrap, is a wraper around debootstrap, ease the manage of debottstrap), you can install debian to a partition, update grub and reboot to the new installation. You can have a working machine while testing the installation of another OS.

I'm not sure why I would need to do this.  What would I be doing this for?
I'm also not familiar with debootstrap (grml-debotstrap), and considerin that others who have installed BL on a Raspberry Pi have not had to go through this process, I don't see how it is mandatory.

#45 2021-01-23 15:19:52

jimjamz

rbh wrote:

Once again, I started from the beginning with a fresh image of Raspi OS dd'ed to the SD card.
All the subsequent steps were the same, except I replaced the custom bunsen-meta-all package list with the full package list (64-bit), but omitting the following 4 packages from the list due to architecture incompatibility:

amd64-microcode
i965-va-driver
intel-microcode
xserver-xorg-video-intel

The install required a download of more than 3GB of packages.  After the 'apt install' and a reboot, I still received the same NetworkManager failures (not sure whether this is linked to the issues I'm having), however, I noticed this time that when I checked the version of Linux:

lsb_release -a

The response was 'Raspbian' and not 'BunsenLabs'.

At this stage, I always check what packages need to be upgraded:

apt list --upgradable

Regardless of the package list I used during the install, the list of upgradable packages is always the same:

Listing...
bsdmainutils/stable 11.1.2+b1 armhf [upgradable from: 11.1.2]
dc/stable 1.07.1-2+b1 armhf [upgradable from: 1.07.1-2]
gcc-7-base/stable 7.4.0-6 armhf [upgradable from: 7.3.0-19]
gdb/stable 8.2.1-2+b3 armhf [upgradable from: 8.2.1-2]
libfile-fcntllock-perl/stable 0.22-3+b5 armhf [upgradable from: 0.22-3+b4]
liblocale-gettext-perl/stable 1.07-3+b4 armhf [upgradable from: 1.07-3+b3]
libnfnetlink0/stable 1.0.1-3+b1 armhf [upgradable from: 1.0.1-3]
libperl5.28/stable 5.28.1-6+deb10u1 armhf [upgradable from: 5.28.1-6]
linux-libc-dev/stable 4.19.160-2 armhf [upgradable from: 4.18.20-2+rpi1]
lua5.1/stable 5.1.5-8.1+b2 armhf [upgradable from: 5.1.5-8.1+b1]
mawk/stable 1.3.3-17+b3 armhf [upgradable from: 1.3.3-17]
ncdu/stable 1.13-1+b1 armhf [upgradable from: 1.13-1]
perl-base/stable 5.28.1-6+deb10u1 armhf [upgradable from: 5.28.1-6]
perl-modules-5.28/stable 5.28.1-6+deb10u1 all [upgradable from: 5.28.1-6]
perl/stable 5.28.1-6+deb10u1 armhf [upgradable from: 5.28.1-6]
rng-tools/stable 2-unofficial-mt.14-1+b2 armhf [upgradable from: 2-unofficial-mt.14-1]

An `apt upgrade` always seems to break on `rng-tools`, perhaps as a result of a pollution of the packages that may have been installed from the mix of different sources (raspbian, debian, bunsenlabs).

#46 2021-01-23 15:20:58

rbh

jimjamz wrote:

I don't see how it is mandatory.

The Linux way is far from single mandatory way when it comes to installing.

Debootstrap, is one way, to install Debian base installation, to use rescue or for foundation to mane an desktop or whatewer you want.

Quite handy tool. Instead of using lightest install cd, with debootstrap, you strap just what you want. Chroot in, contiune to install components and configure. When ready, just update grubb or copy to other disk and reboot to the new installation.

Feel free to investigate or do not.

// Regards rbh

#47 2021-03-08 21:23:28

jimjamz

I jwanted to wrap up the rest of my notes here as, at the very least, a reminder for myself for doing future Raspberry Pi installs.

So, the whole issues I were having previously in this thread, were ultimately related to the generation of Pi I was using.
A Pi 1 Model B is not compatible with all the armhf packages that are being installed.  This is because the CPU is not actually armhf, but armel.  It is labelled as armhf because TPF have made a few tweaks for it to be recognised so.  But, it cannot support a full blown Debian distribution and therefore, a BL configuration either.

As soon as I ran my same install procedure and scripts on my RPi 4, BunsenLabs was up and running.

The one annoying issue I have is, after installing my BunsenLabs packages, the nm-applet is reporting "device not ready", just as reported by the OP in this topic.
2021-03-04-18-10-04-scrot.png

I could manually setup the wireless network by using `raspi-config`.  Through an NCurses menu, I just had to enter the SSID and the passphrase.
But even when the Wi-Fi is correctly setup and working, the nm-applet still reports 'device not ready'.

Other than that, everything is working well.

Board footer