You are not logged in.

#1 Yesterday 10:31:16

drtrppr

Upgrade all debian repositorie packages?

After the install of BL Synaptic mentions 4 repositories, the 'pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian' and ' deb.debian.org/debian-security' active (if I didn't make changes of which I'm not aware anymore).

In order to install Mirage, the advice was to add the Debian repository. After the install I deactivated this repository.

When updating the active repositories, I can upgrade bunsen-pipemenus and bunsen-utilities. Upgrading gives error messages.

When activating the Debian-repositorie, Synaptic seems to be able to upgrade the bunsen-packages.

However, apart from the packages needed to upgrade the bunsen-packages, there are a lot more packages to be upgraded.

Experiences with some other small distros was not to upgrade packages of the main distro, because the packages in the small distros were custom-made and replaced the ones of the main distro, or weren't needed etc. 

The question is if these Debian-packages have to be upgraded too or does this wreck BL?

#2 Yesterday 10:40:54

Nick

Re: Upgrade all debian repositorie packages?

Keep the Debian repository active because that's from where the majority of your packages will be available and will receive security updates.

Periodically, BunsenLabs will inherit point release upgrades from Debian in which more than a couple packages may be upgraded.

This distribution is built on top of and along side of Debian - you need to keep the Debian repository active. BL is designed specifically not to conflict with normal Debian package upgrades. I hope that helps, maybe someone with clearer information can contribute.

Last edited by Nick (Yesterday 10:42:31)

#3 Yesterday 14:18:21

drtrppr

Nick wrote:

Keep the Debian repository active because that's from where the majority of your packages will be available and will receive security updates.

The debian-security repository is by default activated in Synaptic and I will always keep that one activated. So I hope there is no need to keep the Debian repository with all packages active from that point of view.

Nick wrote:

Periodically, BunsenLabs will inherit point release upgrades from Debian in which more than a couple packages may be upgraded.

If I keep the Debian-repository active, always keep my install up-to-date according to this repository, in that case, what's a BL-update about? I guess it's the part in which BL is different from Debian, and that's where I'm cautious about. 

Nick wrote:

This distribution is built on top of and along side of Debian - you need to keep the Debian repository active.

Maybe I have missed something with the install procedure, but can't remember that I was urged to make the Debian-repository known to the install. Same it puzzled me that in that case the repository wasn't default available. But again, maybe it's my misunderstanding.

Nick wrote:

BL is designed specifically not to conflict with normal Debian package upgrades. I hope that helps, maybe someone with clearer information can contribute.

Yep, think there is some more to this, according to my experiences with other distros, most times there's a deeper ground how things are (not) done.

#4 Today 02:15:06

johnraff
nullglob
Website

BunsenLabs provide a small number of packages - these are configurations and utilities intended to work with a standard Debian Stable install. All the Debian Buster repositories should be enabled - not just debian-security - because sometimes important bugfixes will arrive by that route, and they will be essential to install any of the thousands of packages Debian make available which aren't in the default BunsenLabs install.

@drtrppr, it's very strange that the Debian repositories are not enabled on your system. Could you post the output of this command?

cat /etc/bunsen/bunsen_install

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#5 Today 10:14:39

drtrppr

Ok, all makes sense to me if the link to Debian-repositories have to be present.

drtrppr@HPStream:~$ cat /etc/bunsen/bunsen_install
Install method: iso
Version: lithium-RC5-amd64
Disk info: Debian GNU/Linux 10 _Lithium_ - Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20200722-09:44
Install date: 2021-02-18T11:54:15

But as said before, I can't guarantee that I didn't delete the link to the repository by accident after my first glance at BL.

I'm planning to install on another old machine, I will download the newest ISO and will check if link to debian-repository is present. Guess it will.

#6 Today 11:06:19

sleekmason
zoom
Website

I'm going for "unchecking" the entries during the install:) The lines in /etc/sources.list will still be present, but commented. Sounds like you have a plan!

#7 Today 11:16:55

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Those entries in the installer interface are for various selections of packages to install. If installing BL on top of a basic Debian system you should uncheck everything except "standard system utilities".

But commenting-out the debian repositories in apt's sources.list is a different thing altogether, and should not be done.

Thise two things are quite unconnected.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#8 Today 21:12:51

sleekmason
zoom
Website

johnraff wrote:

^Those entries in the installer interface are for various selections of packages to install. If installing BL on top of a basic Debian system you should uncheck everything except "standard system utilities".

But commenting-out the debian repositories in apt's sources.list is a different thing altogether, and should not be done.

Thise two things are quite unconnected.

I do not think we are talking about the same thing at all.

I'm talking about right after the install, the next step is to install the package manager.

There are checkboxes (in mine anyway), already marked for 'security', and 'updates'.  If you uncheck those, they will still be in your sources list, just uncommented.

Maybe Bunsenlabs took those options out?

Board footer