You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-09 19:45:24

sleekmason
Member
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 193

[SOLVED] Live-build options and such

I have finally been able to make a live-build lxde with my own custom packages, and have been able to install to my computer smile But . . .

How do I get the groovy 'advanced text installer' option?

Also, live-build won't load b43 firmware for installer, even though present during the live session, are also present after install, and can connect with no problems. However, being able to connect during install, while not critical, would be nice. (adding repositories and such). I currently have in /includes.installer/preseed.cfg:

d-i netcfg/choose_interface select wlan0
d-i hw-detect/load_firmware boolean true

to no effect.
What am I missing?

Third, The standard install provides the common root/user setup, and not sudo.  Is this a simple option I missed, or? . . .

Anyway, this has been a super neat experience.  Learning a bunch from this! During the plague, my days are filled with grandchildren, linux, and cycling.  Life is good! smile

Last edited by sleekmason (2020-09-11 20:03:00)

Offline

#2 2020-09-09 22:33:29

rbh
Member
From: Sweden/Vasterbotten/Rusfors
Registered: 2016-08-11
Posts: 661

Re: [SOLVED] Live-build options and such

If you boot wit kernelparameters ""net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0", your wificard will be named wlan0, that might get the installer work.

And, plain debian does not include sudo as default. Run "apt install sudo" among postinstallation tweaks, or add it to your preeced.cfg.


// Regards rbh

Online

#3 2020-09-10 01:02:32

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 7,308
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Live-build options and such

During installation, if you don't enter a root password (both times you're asked) then your user will be given sudo permissions instead.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

#4 2020-09-10 15:17:52

sleekmason
Member
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 193

Re: [SOLVED] Live-build options and such

rbh wrote:

If you boot wit kernelparameters ""net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0", your wificard will be named wlan0, that might get the installer work.

And, plain debian does not include sudo as default. Run "apt install sudo" among postinstallation tweaks, or add it to your preeced.cfg.

This changed the interface to look for eth0, but the installer still won't even show the wireless option.  Only runs through the wired setup, connected or not. Thank you though:)  I'll post an answer if I find it.

johnraff wrote:

During installation, if you don't enter a root password (both times you're asked) then your user will be given sudo permissions instead.

oh cool! good to know:)

Offline

#5 2020-09-11 02:36:28

sleekmason
Member
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 193

Re: [SOLVED] Live-build options and such

Okie dokie, Here's some info on what I've found.  As far as adding in the options for the expert installer, just a couple of entries into the advanced.cfg of the isolinux folder does the trick, nothing more needed:

label expert
    menu label ^Expert installer (text)
    linux /install/vmlinuz
    append priority=low vga=normal initrd=/install/initrd.gz --

label expert-gui
    menu label Expert installer (GUI)
    linux /install/gtk/vmlinuz
    append priority=low video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 initrd=/install/gtk/initrd.gz --

The base files for the bootloaders are found in /usr/share/live/build bootloaders. <- to be added to /config/bootloaders in the build.

In the preseed.cfg in /config/includes.installer I found the option to ignore root passwords and assume sudo:

d-i passwd/root-login boolean false

And have tried these to get the installer to look for my wireless card. Doesn't seem to be loading the necessary items . . . (wireless tools?)

d-i hw-detect/load_firmware boolean true
d-i apt-setup/non-free boolean true
d-i apt-setup/contrib boolean true
d-i netcfg/choose_interface select wlan0

I'm now trying some hail Mary options of:

d-i b43-fwcutter/install-unconditional boolean true
d-i firmware-b43-installer/install-unconditional boolean true
d-i firmware-b43legacy-installer/install-unconditional boolean true
d-i network-preseed auto-install/enable	boolean	true

Apparently the b43-fwcutter line has a use, but no implication was given as to whether I could install other packages to the installer the same way?  I'm trying with the firmware packages as well.

So, still looking for the secret magic that lets the Debian installer look for my wireless card. Live-build is a very neat tool with tons of options. I have a nice base to start from now, and the wireless issue is just an inconvenience as I can connect after install and gather the sources off the net. But still. smile

Offline

#6 2020-09-11 02:51:05

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 7,308
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Live-build options and such

sleekmason wrote:

The base files for the bootloaders are found in /usr/share/live/build bootloaders. <- to be added to /config/bootloaders in the build.

But if you put any custom bootloaders in live-build's config/bootloaders/ then I'm pretty sure the import from /usr/share/live/build bootloaders is stopped, ie you have to copy everything else in yourself.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

#7 2020-09-11 12:30:41

sleekmason
Member
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 193

Re: [SOLVED] Live-build options and such

johnraff wrote:

But if you put any custom bootloaders in live-build's config/bootloaders/ then I'm pretty sure the import from /usr/share/live/build bootloaders is stopped, ie you have to copy everything else in yourself.

The folder /config/bootloaders is not present upon installation or build, with the files shown is /usr/share being the defaults.
None need to be moved in order to get the basics, only if you want custom options. Also, you only need to copy the bootloader you want to work with, and it will still pull the necessary files when needed fro the other bootloaders.

If you make a mistake, you can simply delete the /config/bootloaders/isolinux and be good to go.

The files will remain after lb clean.


On another note, I tried using all of these options last night and still no go! The cool thing about these options in  /config/installer.includes/preseed.cfg, is that if a line doesn't work, it will simply ignore it rather than breaking it.

d-i hw-detect/load_firmware boolean true
d-i apt-setup/non-free boolean true
d-i apt-setup/contrib boolean true
d-i netcfg/choose_interface select wlan0
d-i b43-fwcutter/install-unconditional boolean true
d-i firmware-b43-installer/install-unconditional boolean true
d-i firmware-b43legacy-installer/install-unconditional boolean true
d-i network-preseed auto-install/enable	boolean	true

Can I have a link to the live-build for Bunsenlabs?  Bunsenlabs reads my card, as does siduction, but not antix, etc..
I am sure I could figure it out if I could see the files.

Offline

#8 2020-09-11 16:38:00

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 994

Re: [SOLVED] Live-build options and such

sleekmason wrote:

Okie dokie, Here's some info on what I've found.  As far as adding in the options for the expert installer, just a couple of entries into the advanced.cfg of the isolinux folder does the trick, nothing more needed:

label expert
    menu label ^Expert installer (text)
    linux /install/vmlinuz
    append priority=low vga=normal initrd=/install/initrd.gz --

label expert-gui
    menu label Expert installer (GUI)
    linux /install/gtk/vmlinuz
    append priority=low video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 initrd=/install/gtk/initrd.gz --

The base files for the bootloaders are found in /usr/share/live/build bootloaders. <- to be added to /config/bootloaders in the build.

In the preseed.cfg in /config/includes.installer I found the option to ignore root passwords and assume sudo:

d-i passwd/root-login boolean false

And have tried these to get the installer to look for my wireless card. Doesn't seem to be loading the necessary items . . . (wireless tools?)

d-i hw-detect/load_firmware boolean true
d-i apt-setup/non-free boolean true
d-i apt-setup/contrib boolean true
d-i netcfg/choose_interface select wlan0

I'm now trying some hail Mary options of:

d-i b43-fwcutter/install-unconditional boolean true
d-i firmware-b43-installer/install-unconditional boolean true
d-i firmware-b43legacy-installer/install-unconditional boolean true
d-i network-preseed auto-install/enable	boolean	true

Apparently the b43-fwcutter line has a use, but no implication was given as to whether I could install other packages to the installer the same way?  I'm trying with the firmware packages as well.

So, still looking for the secret magic that lets the Debian installer look for my wireless card. Live-build is a very neat tool with tons of options. I have a nice base to start from now, and the wireless issue is just an inconvenience as I can connect after install and gather the sources off the net. But still. smile

I am sure you can have the installer to ask if you need to add any drivers/firmware for your wireless adapter (any make/model) and then you can go to the location to install them. Much in the same fashion as pressing F6 to install a custom driver for a hard disk controller when installing Windows back in the day.


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#9 2020-09-11 19:18:27

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,271

Re: [SOLVED] Live-build options and such

sleekmason wrote:

...
Can I have a link to the live-build for Bunsenlabs?  Bunsenlabs reads my card, as does siduction, but not antix, etc..
I am sure I could figure it out if I could see the files.

'Fraid not. According to @hhh in this post:

hhh wrote:

We don't share our custom live-build config because it's one of the only things that make BL unique. That and it took me dozens and dozens of hours of research and trial-and-error builds before I figured out how to build an ISO with live-build. Nobody gets off easy if I can help it! You must suffer the pain of The Manual!

If you want to learn more about live-build, I suggest Kali Linux...


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Online

#10 2020-09-11 19:19:26

sleekmason
Member
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 193

Re: [SOLVED] Live-build options and such

Just saw on another search here that I may be posting a bit too much info here? if so, please feel free to delete.  Would still love the wireless bit though:)  Seems like it should be such an easy thing.

Offline

#11 2020-09-11 20:07:59

sleekmason
Member
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 193

Re: [SOLVED] Live-build options and such

damo wrote:
sleekmason wrote:

...
Can I have a link to the live-build for Bunsenlabs?  Bunsenlabs reads my card, as does siduction, but not antix, etc..
I am sure I could figure it out if I could see the files.

'Fraid not. According to @hhh in this post:

hhh wrote:

We don't share our custom live-build config because it's one of the only things that make BL unique. That and it took me dozens and dozens of hours of research and trial-and-error builds before I figured out how to build an ISO with live-build. Nobody gets off easy if I can help it! You must suffer the pain of The Manual!

If you want to learn more about live-build, I suggest Kali Linux...

Ha! Saw this as you were posting:)  Seriously, feel free to delete if you like.  Everything became clear to me as to how to get the info.  Slow sometimes I guess:)   Just my personal use, I've no interest in more.

Offline

#12 2020-09-12 00:55:48

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 7,308
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Live-build options and such

sleekmason wrote:
johnraff wrote:

But if you put any custom bootloaders in live-build's config/bootloaders/ then I'm pretty sure the import from /usr/share/live/build bootloaders is stopped, ie you have to copy everything else in yourself.

The folder /config/bootloaders is not present upon installation or build,

Like many other files & folders under config/ you have to create it if you want to use it.

...you only need to copy the bootloader you want to work with, and it will still pull the necessary files when needed fro the other bootloaders.

This is contrary to my experience - that if config/bootloaders exists then live-build will leave it alone - but I've seen the topic on dev mailing lists and the latest live-build's behaviour might have changed.

The files will remain after lb clean.

Correct. Everything under config/ is left intact.

Can I have a link to the live-build for Bunsenlabs?

The live-build configuration is in a private repo, so, as Damo says, we can't give you access to it. But I can post non-sensitive bits here, if you ask for something specific.

Anyway, our preseed.cfg can be found in the iso files, but to save you the trouble:

d-i passwd/root-login boolean false
d-i mirror/country string manual
d-i mirror/protocol string https
d-i mirror/https/hostname string deb.debian.org
d-i mirror/https/directory string /debian
d-i mirror/https/proxy string
d-i apt-setup/use_mirror boolean true
d-i apt-setup/non-free boolean true
d-i apt-setup/contrib boolean true
d-i apt-setup/services-select multiselect updates
d-i apt-setup/local0/repository \
    string https://deb.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free
d-i apt-setup/local0/comment string Debian security updates
d-i apt-setup/enable-source-repositories boolean false
d-i apt-setup/disable-cdrom-entries boolean true
d-i clock-setup/utc boolean true
d-i preseed/late_command string \
    apt-install bunsen-os-release bunsen-python-apt-template ;\
    in-target /usr/local/bin/bunsen_preseed ;\
    in-target rm -f /usr/local/bin/bunsen_preseed

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

#13 2020-09-12 01:14:20

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 7,308
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Live-build options and such

BTW, debugging the debian-installer: you can get a tty at any time during the installation process by pressing (Ctrl+)Alt+F2 or F3. It's a very simple shell so only a subset of commands is available, but you can look around the system (the installed system is under /target at this point) and make edits, or even install packages I think, depending on the install stage you are at.

Error messages are on (Ctrl+)Alt+F4

https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/ … 01.en.html
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/FAQ
https://d-i.debian.org/doc/internals/ch02.html


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

#14 2020-09-12 01:31:14

sleekmason
Member
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 193

Re: [SOLVED] Live-build options and such

johnraff wrote:

BTW, debugging the debian-installer: you can get a tty at any time during the installation process by pressing (Ctrl+)Alt+F2 or F3. It's a very simple shell so only a subset of commands is available, but you can look around the system (the installed system is under /target at this point) and make edits, or even install packages I think, depending on the install stage you are at.

Error messages are on (Ctrl+)Alt+F4

https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/ … 01.en.html
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/FAQ
https://d-i.debian.org/doc/internals/ch02.html

Thank you for all the info!  smile  Having a great deal of fun with this. The installer simply won't discover my wireless b43 card and allow me to connect during the install.  I have installed The firmware, and can connect during the live session, and after reboot.
I will check out alt+F4 and see what pops up:)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB