You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-22 20:19:18

jklydon

Ext4 file creation error - install fails

I downloaded the latest 'Lithium' and made an USB installer using Rufus.  I can 'go live' Ok and everything's fine - network, graphics.  But when I try to install, at the point of writing the new partition scheme to the disk, I get 'Ext 4 file creation error'. No changes are written and the install fails. On other occasions, I am prompted about reloading the CD-ROM (there's nothing in it) and install fails at that point.

I've used Crunchbang before but not BL.  I was looking something light and thought of this. For reference, I can install various other distro's using same setup.  Not sure why this is a problem.

#2 2020-10-22 21:58:49

rbh

Re: Ext4 file creation error - install fails

jklydon wrote:

at the point of writing the new partition scheme to the disk, I get 'Ext 4 file creation error'. No changes are written and the install fails. On other occasions, I am prompted about reloading the CD-ROM (there's nothing in it) and install fails at that point.

If you are prompted to reload CD, there is problem to read the usb-drive. The recomendation to write the iso image to usb-disk, under windows, is to use Win32 Disk Imager
It could also be good to try another usb-disk.

When file creation error appear, you can maybe see any error if you change to tty4.

You can create partions from the live session and reboot to installer.

i have newer since starting with Debian linux in the mid 90's encountered the erro 'Ext 4 file creation error' during installation.

After you have created the partitions/filesystem, before installing, do a drive-check.

# fsck -cc /dev/sdxy

checks also for badblocks. Takes some time...

You can run smartctl health check also.

Last edited by rbh (2020-10-22 22:07:58)

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#3 2020-10-23 08:19:08

ohnonot
...again

jklydon wrote:

I downloaded the latest 'Lithium' and made an USB installer using Rufus.

I agree with the previous poster that you should make sure you are using an accepted USB "burning" method.
IMO the bunsenlabs instructions are too unspecific; from general 3rd-hand experience I can say that Rufus should be OK, but you have to make sure that you ue its "dd mode".
Also check the checksums, obviously.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#4 2020-10-23 13:13:45

sleekmason
zoom

MX has an App Image that works very well for burning to usb. It can be found here:
https://mxlinux.org/blog/live-usb-maker … -appimage/

#5 2020-10-27 11:44:39

jklydon

Reseating the USB installer took care of the prompt to reload the CD-ROM, and a manual partitioning took care of the 'Ext 4 file creation error', thank you.  I would've responded earlier, but I was having too much fun with BL, reminding me of the old #! days.

Board footer